PDA

View Full Version : Indepth comparison of DX9 and DX10 in Crysis Demo

Gaco
10-29-07, 08:37 PM
What started as a little project grew big suddeny. So before you think "oh noez another Crysis topic", I just wanna say that I put a lot of time and effort into this so I wanted to make sure it will be noticed. I've just spend the past couple of hours compiling a very interesting comparison of DX10 and DX9 at various settings and commenting on the differences etc. I also analyze the post processing and shaders effects and how they affect eachother. I'm sorry that I'm not much of a HTML genious to make a pretty little website online, and I got away from making gifs also. I ended up making pairs of screenshots in folders for you to download so the difference can easily be noticed by switching between them using the arrow keys in the image/fax viewer or windows photo gallery (XP/Vista respectively).

Anyway I really hope you guys enjoy this and do post your thoughts and feedback here :)

Mirror#1 @ Rapidshare *UPDATED*: http://rapidshare.com/files/66260821/Indepth.crysis.comparison.updated.rar

Mirror#2 @ Mediafire *UPDATED*: http://www.mediafire.com/?ex11ytnnimn

UPDATE 1: The "forcing vSync off"-fix that fixes 64bitDX10 mode has given cause for some more 64bit vs. 32bit comparisons. New screenshots have been added to the archive.

UPDATE 2: I have been told that the terrible DX10-mouselag-bug is not present in the newest official 163.69 drivers. If this is indeed true, a rollback to this driver may be the best option for those of you who want to play DX10 mode for whatever reason. I'm planning on testing this myself later today. I will try and take note of the performance difference as well.

Here is a link (http://www.incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=11614) to the IMO best tweak guide to Crysis out there

THIS THREAD IS OUTDATED, REFER TO THIS THREAD: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=101345

Zeus666
10-29-07, 08:43 PM
nice, but i am waiting on-line with rapidshare to download the third part !!

17 minutes to left !

and then the count down re start :(

RAPIDSHARE suck
Better Mediafire (just a little to slow to upload and download but no need to wait every time to download ! )

Gaco
10-29-07, 08:54 PM
Mediafire mirror added ;)

einstein_314
10-29-07, 08:56 PM
Great work Gaco! That's exactly what I've been wanting to see.

Zeus666
10-29-07, 09:01 PM
Mediafire mirror added ;)

Thanks ! :captnkill:

Zeus666
10-29-07, 09:24 PM
So in DX9, even tweaked, there are many less object in the distance !?

And this is fixable in some manner ?

If NO

DX10 is The Way It's Meant to Be Played this game ! : P

The light too is much better in DX10 if compared with DX9 Tweaked !

mumstheword
10-29-07, 09:45 PM
Good work Gaco! Have you noticed any difference the depth of field between dx9 tweaks and dx10 very high?

Just wanted to share one screenshot in XP:

http://aycu37.webshots.com/image/32556/2001838233647626441_rs.jpg

Everything Very High. Normally in Vista, I would be getting 4fps in this scene.

SOAD
10-29-07, 09:54 PM
how you get everything on high? I am limited to high for everything :(

methimpikehoses
10-29-07, 09:55 PM

dx10 if you mean how to get things to very high.

$n][pErMan
10-29-07, 10:15 PM
There are tricks posted on these forums to get very high in XP / DX9 .... I doubt it gives everything but it gives some of the cool effects like the sunrays and whatnot :) It probably will not give some of the lighting and water effects is my guess...

ArturNOW
10-30-07, 08:31 AM
What started as a little project grew big suddeny. So before you think "oh noez another Crysis topic", I just wanna say that I put a lot of time and effort into this so I wanted to make sure it will be noticed. I've just spend the past couple of hours compiling a very interesting comparison of DX10 and DX9 at various settings and commenting on the differences etc. I also analyze the post processing and shaders effects and how they affect eachother. I'm sorry that I'm not much of a HTML genious to make a pretty little website online, and I got away from making gifs also. I ended up making pairs of screenshots in folders for you to download so the difference can easily be noticed by switching between them using the arrow keys in the image/fax viewer or windows photo gallery (XP/Vista respectively).

Anyway I really hope you guys enjoy this and do post your thoughts and feedback here :)

Mirror#1 @ Rapidshare: http://rapidshare.com/files/66152157/indepth.crysis.comparison.rar

Mirror#2 @ Mediafire: http://www.mediafire.com/?d1fjvodsnjw

I've send screenshot from 6. The fully maxed DX10 vs. tweaked DX9 for scene 1, and the difference between DX9 and DX10 is noteable. Not only the colors and the athmospher. Great color blending, but as you can see there are more rocks on the beach. You can also see distant trees next to the ship.

Gaco
10-30-07, 08:59 AM
Ok the rar archive is now updated with some 32bit vs. 64bit screenshots since I've the 64bitDX10 mode can now be make to work (thanks methimpikehoses!). My first post has been updated with the new file.

[EOCF] Tim
10-30-07, 09:33 AM
It's not there anymore, file is gone, deleted by uploader it says.

Zeus666
10-30-07, 09:44 AM
32 bit DX10 vs 64 bit DX10 = No FPS and quality difference except Textures mountains BAG in 32 bit DX10

P.S.
(Are you sure that the texture bug is in the DX10 32 bit version ?)

:cool:

Gaco
10-30-07, 09:51 AM
Tim']It's not there anymore, file is gone, deleted by uploader it says.
You must've unfortunate and tried in those 2 minutes when I was uploading the new files. It should work now ;)

32 bit DX10 vs 64 bit DX10 = No FPS and quality difference except Textures mountains BAG in 32 bit DX10

P.S.
(Are you sure that the texture bug is in the DX10 32 bit version ?)

:cool:

Well in short terms yes. I also show that the difference between DX9 and the most widely used DX9 tweak is minimal in that particular scene I used in the comparison. Again we also see the added and nicer vegetation in DX10 and lightning/colors. But at least now we have confirmed that the fugly mountains was a 32bit/64bit issue :)

I do not know which texture bug you talk about, see the pictures for yourself, the mountaintexture in DX9 and DX10 looks identical.

Gaco
10-30-07, 09:55 AM
Good work Gaco! Have you noticed any difference the depth of field between dx9 tweaks and dx10 very high?

Just wanted to share one screenshot in XP:

[IMG CUT FOR SAVING SPACE]

Everything Very High. Normally in Vista, I would be getting 4fps in this scene.
No I haven't focused on that particular effect, but I can take a quick comparison if you want to. If I am to relate to your screenshot, I'd need some more info on your tweaking ;)

mumstheword
10-30-07, 10:27 AM
No I haven't focused on that particular effect, but I can take a quick comparison if you want to. If I am to relate to your screenshot, I'd need some more info on your tweaking ;)

The tweak is moving the very high settings into [3] for every config except textures and sound. So pretty much everything is set to very high including shaders. But, i've tried this before in XP and I never noticed the lighting you see with very high shaders in DX10 until now. I don't know, maybe I changed something which turned on the lighting this time. So pretty much everything you get in very high in dx10, I am getting in dx9 XP but with playable framerates.

I'm hoping some of you can try this out and let me know if you're getting very high shaders.

Here's the file which contains the configs:

High To Very High (http://www.mediafire.com/?fjjggtmlnok)

jeffmd
10-30-07, 01:03 PM
hey gaco, I think e_detail_materials_view_dist_xy=4096 may be the fix for detailed mountains in 32bit modes.

Gaco
10-30-07, 02:32 PM
hey gaco, I think e_detail_materials_view_dist_xy=4096 may be the fix for detailed mountains in 32bit modes.
I just tried and but my mountain textures was still lowres. Maybe if someone else can try it also so we can definetly rule it out.

The tweak is moving the very high settings into [3] for every config except textures and sound. So pretty much everything is set to very high including shaders. But, i've tried this before in XP and I never noticed the lighting you see with very high shaders in DX10 until now. I don't know, maybe I changed something which turned on the lighting this time. So pretty much everything you get in very high in dx10, I am getting in dx9 XP but with playable framerates.

I'm hoping some of you can try this out and let me know if you're getting very high shaders.

Here's the file which contains the configs:

High To Very High (http://www.mediafire.com/?fjjggtmlnok)
I have tried that tweak once before but my clear impression then was that it's so extensive that I got very crappy FPS so I might as well run the DX10 version. But I'll take a look at it again. Actually I don't know how I could forgot this, because this tweak is obviously the most complete you can do. I'll check back with results soon.

FastRedPonyCar
10-30-07, 02:49 PM

No becuase my cfg file is still set to 2048 and in XP/DX9, I have the detailed high res mountain face texture with trees from the minute I lay sight on it when the little "daybreak" pseudo cut scene is shown at sunrise.

Gaco
10-30-07, 03:47 PM
I've done some good work in the full DX9 tweak and the results are to say it least very exhilarating. I will post a big update later tonight.

Dazz
10-30-07, 06:12 PM
If i recall the diffrence from 32bit and 64bit was the view distance that being 64bit was pretty much unlimited.