PDA

View Full Version : Vista SP1, eats hdd space?

nekrosoft13
10-30-07, 07:29 AM
I was just wondering how many people here tried Vista SP1?

I tried SP1 about 2 weeks ago. Installed it on my laptop that had Vista Ultimate 64bit installed. With about 30 GB of free space.

SP1 took a while to install, but after it was finished I was left with 7 GB of free space. I looked around but couldn't find where all my hdd space went. At this point I tried uninstalling SP1 to see if I get all my HDD space back.

End result was 11 GB of free space. What happened to the remaining 19 GB?

I didn't want to leave the laptop with only 11 GB of free space, at that time I restored a drive image to get back where I was before sp1 install.

Those that tried SP1, what’s your experience?

Note: keep it civilized

kam03
10-30-07, 08:44 AM
I was just wondering how many people here tried Vista SP1?

I tried SP1 about 2 weeks ago. Installed it on my laptop that had Vista Ultimate 64bit installed. With about 30 GB of free space.

SP1 took a while to install, but after it was finished I was left with 7 GB of free space. I looked around but couldn't find where all my hdd space went. At this point I tried uninstalling SP1 to see if I get all my HDD space back.

End result was 11 GB of free space. What happened to the remaining 19 GB?

I didn't want to leave the laptop with only 11 GB of free space, at that time I restored a drive image to get back where I was before sp1 install.

Those that tried SP1, what’s your experience?

Note: keep it civilized

Turn off system restore then turn it back on.

newfiejudd
10-30-07, 09:50 AM
YOU can also try disk clean up. Go to more options and delete the most recent restore points.

It should get you back your HDD space. Over all for me SP1 has been good. No increase in gaming performance but overall it's more resposive.

nekrosoft13
10-30-07, 09:53 AM
i will have to try installing it again. because i restore image back to normal.

evilghost
10-30-07, 10:41 AM
Disable the uninstall option during SP1 installation if that is an option. Disable system restore (as mentioned previously).

Dragunov
10-30-07, 04:03 PM
YOU can also try disk clean up. Go to more options and delete the most recent restore points.

It should get you back your HDD space. Over all for me SP1 has been good. No increase in gaming performance but overall it's more resposive.

More stable and responsive after installing the hotfixes too? :)