PDA

View Full Version : Is the 8800GT an improvement over the 8800GTS 640

Pages : [1] 2 3

saguy
10-30-07, 09:44 PM
I posted this in another thread which is a bit dead so I have posted it again.

I only found out today about the GT and I am now very tempted to sell my 8800GTS 640 and pay in £15 for a GT. I was going to keep the GTS for a least a year so £15 for a quick upgrade ain't bad for a boost to crysis performance. I only game with Dx9 at 1680 x 1050 so hopefully the memory will not be a disadvantage. Also I have a choice of 3 standard GT's available so out of the 3 which is the best make:

Gainward
Gigabyte
Leadtek

So what you guys reckon because I have to be quick as there could soon be a flood of used GTS's on the market.

jolle
10-30-07, 09:49 PM
Saw this AFTER i responded to the thread on Rage3d:
http://techreport.com/articles.x/13479/4
Seems for Crysis the GTS 640 is acctually still a bit faster.
Unlike most other games where the GT holds the lead.

My suggestion is that you check out a bunch of the reviews gathered here:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=101210
And make your own call.

Moo
10-30-07, 09:52 PM
I posted this in another thread which is a bit dead so I have posted it again.

I only found out today about the GT and I am now very tempted to sell my 8800GTS 640 and pay in £15 for a GT. I was going to keep the GTS for a least a year so £15 for a quick upgrade ain't bad for a boost to crysis performance. I only game with Dx9 at 1680 x 1050 so hopefully the memory will not be a disadvantage. Also I have a choice of 3 standard GT's available so out of the 3 which is the best make:

Gainward
Gigabyte
Leadtek

So what you guys reckon because I have to be quick as there could soon be a flood of used GTS's on the market.

8800GT = similar or better performance in "standard" resolutions.

It requires less power, and takes up only a single slot.

I'd say go for it.

saguy
10-30-07, 10:57 PM
Saw this AFTER i responded to the thread on Rage3d:
http://techreport.com/articles.x/13479/4
Seems for Crysis the GTS 640 is acctually still a bit faster.
Unlike most other games where the GT holds the lead.

My suggestion is that you check out a bunch of the reviews gathered here:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=101210
And make your own call.Those Crysis benchmarks scare me. The GT minimums are far too low.

Luminal
10-30-07, 11:02 PM
I don´t know what to make of this. Some sites says GT is better, then other sites say GTS is better :thumbdwn:

Some say GT almost has the same performance as an GTX and still is cant beat GTS in a few games...

comon now :rolleyes:

(inv)

jolle
10-30-07, 11:20 PM
To further add to the confusion, these Crysis benches look a bit better.
http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1211/2

More:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/10/29/geforce_8800_gt/page13.html

Unfortunatly they all use 320mb GTS, but it still looks good next to the GTX..
Seems that (in Crysis) over 1600x1200 and with 4xAA on, the lower bandwidth starts to show.

avirox
10-30-07, 11:22 PM
people are often fooled by video card memory amount being the key to everything. In truth, I blame review sites for this; they list video cards like the GTS320 running at a high resolution (like 1900x1200 or higher) with AA and are like "OMGZ LOOK TEH MEMORY IZ KILLING ZEE GAME" - well duh, but at that resolution/settings your GTS640 is probably not gonna run smooth either.
The Crysis benchmarks are a perfect example - yeah sure, the 8800GT is running out of memory there, thus hurting performance, but then again look at the performance of the competing cards! Take off the AA, put the res to 1600x1200 and up the settings - you'll see the GT is faster.
But, in the overall picture, the 8800GT is faster than the GTS but probably doesn't justify you "upgrading" to it from the 640. It makes, what, a 5 fps difference in most common cases? For 320 owners it might be more tempting, due to the lifting of memory limitations somewhat.

Bah!
10-30-07, 11:47 PM
I don´t know what to make of this. Some sites says GT is better, then other sites say GTS is better :thumbdwn:

Some say GT almost has the same performance as an GTX and still is cant beat GTS in a few games...

comon now :rolleyes:

(inv)

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?p=503194

The GT is pretty much better in everything, except when you run Crysis with AA, in which case if you turn it off and raise the resolution the GT will pull ahead again.

Someone like me who has a 1680x1050 native rez. i'd rather use that and no AA for one game, than the lower rez with AA anyway, so the GT was a no brainer. Not to mention, every other game seems to run better on the GT.

I already had my step-up almost finished and it was going to cost me $113 bucks for the 640 GTS (i have the 320), but since this came out before i was finished i switched to the GT and saved $111 bucks and got upgraded shipping as well. :)

mythy
10-31-07, 12:43 AM
Ok let me explain this for you guys...

techreport's reviews were 100% Bull****! They ran the games at resolutions with AA applied so that it would put the GTS in the lead. At 1920x1200 the GT is way faster then the GTS! Only when AA is enabled does the GT take the lead and only because of on board memory!

victor_c26
10-31-07, 12:53 AM
At 1920*1200, I find AA both pointless and an unnecessary burden on the videocard. So I'm perfectly fine with the 8800GT mythy?

I love the Dell 2407WFP-HC I bought a little while ago. But I feared the 8800GT might have been a bad choice considering the native resolution this monitor runs at.

Armed_Baboon
10-31-07, 01:14 AM
you should see the massive sell-off of GTSs in Australia. the 'for auction' at overclockers.com.au is going crazy with it. and every auction thread has a bunch of people pointing out the GT... crazy.

mythy
10-31-07, 01:26 AM
At 1920*1200, I find AA both pointless and an unnecessary burden on the videocard. So I'm perfectly fine with the 8800GT mythy?

I love the Dell 2407WFP-HC I bought a little while ago. But I feared the 8800GT might have been a bad choice considering the native resolution this monitor runs at.

Lets put it this way the stock GT is 2fps slower then a GTX in Crysis at 1920x1200 ;) Now think about this, there are EVGA GT's out there with a 100MHz core OC 250MHz shader OC and 200MHz memory OC. Now I cant say this for sure but I do believe that it will get you your 2fps back :rolleyes:

victor_c26
10-31-07, 01:29 AM
Cool. :D

saguy
10-31-07, 05:49 AM
Thanks guy you have definitely helped make sense of the benchmarks and I will not be using AA in Crysis and the way I see it that in the future with more demanding games I will not be using AA anyway to play at my native resolution of 1680 x 1050. So I have decided to go with the 2900.

No way, I have just ordered a GT. I actually am starting to feel a bit sorry for Amd, talk about kicking when you are down.

saguy
10-31-07, 06:36 AM
Wow these cards are flying off the shelves here in the UK. While I was trying to place an order 3 different card went out of stock in the space of a couple of minutes. I was going to get the Asus but I had to eventually settle for a Leadtek. It has been a while since I have had a Leadtek so here is hoping that it overclocks as well as my recent cards.

Joe Public
10-31-07, 07:35 AM
Well, I play with AA even with high resolutions, so for me lower performance with AA on is an issue. Obviously the 256-bits memory bus of the GT holds it back a bit as I thought.

Revs
10-31-07, 09:21 AM
Just picked up 2 Zotac 8800GT's today (660/1600/2000 standard OC) to replace my GTS640's in SLI. I'm gonna do some testing and benchmarks tonight.

I was gonna make a new thread but it would be a similar title to this so i'll just post the results here.

Hopefully they'll improve things a bit. It's not costing me anything for the upgrade as GTS640's are selling on ebay for £200 ish for now.

The GT's seem to out-perform the GTS's by quite a bit in Crysis and on the 3DM '06 benchmarks from what i've read. We'll see :p

Slammin
10-31-07, 10:06 AM
I wouldn't consider the GT an upgrade over a GTS unless you play at lower resolutions, and even then I would'nt waste money 'upgrading' an existing GTS to a GT.

Some folks are just <fill in the blank>.

wysiwyg
10-31-07, 11:22 AM
Just picked up 2 Zotac 8800GT's today (660/1600/2000 standard OC) to replace my GTS640's in SLI. I'm gonna do some testing and benchmarks tonight.

I was gonna make a new thread but it would be a similar title to this so i'll just post the results here.

Hopefully they'll improve things a bit. It's not costing me anything for the upgrade as GTS640's are selling on ebay for £200 ish for now.

The GT's seem to out-perform the GTS's by quite a bit in Crysis and on the 3DM '06 benchmarks from what i've read. We'll see :p

i sold my GTS (still in my sig) on ebay yesterday for £225. it was only 3 weeks old and i paid £250 new but it sold very quickly only was listed for 2 days and sold on the second day to somebody in Romania and they even paid the £52 postage so they must really want it.

I also ordered yesterday the EVGA superclocked GT from overclockers.

and ordered a sparkle 7200gs 512mb to use off ebay while i wait for the GT to arrive/ get in stock

Luminal
10-31-07, 01:32 PM
I just got my 8800GT, and im quite impressive even tho i have a 8800GTS 640MB. Raised my score in 3D mark by 2000p.

Crysis runs very well with GT, i run at 1680x1050 all high and no AA. i get 26-30+ frames. Before i had to turn shaders on medium to play on GTS.

I still think it was a good deal, i can sell my GTS for a low price now :)

EDIT: i suppose i can´t runs SLI with 8800GT and GTS ? lol

J-Mag
10-31-07, 02:45 PM
I wouldn't consider the GT an upgrade over a GTS unless you play at lower resolutions, and even then I would'nt waste money 'upgrading' an existing GTS to a GT.

It really depends on what game and its settings. In Crysis the 8800gt is about 30% faster than the 640mb GTS when looking at most common resolutions with no AA.

XDanger
10-31-07, 03:05 PM
GTS owners NEED to sell NOW before the re-sale value drops like a brick.

Bah!
10-31-07, 03:09 PM

Some folks are just <fill in the blank>.

Some folks are just...more well informed than you?

The GT is a faster card all around. The one and only time it's slower than the GTS is when you have AA enabled in Crysis...otherwise its faster every time, even at resolutions like 1920x1200 which is not a low resolution.

I think you should look at the links again, the GT is a clear upgrade.

Mr_LoL
10-31-07, 03:41 PM
Is it worth selling the GTX and getting a GT then? Like the xfx xxx cards?

saguy
10-31-07, 04:36 PM
Is it worth selling the GTX and getting a GT then? Like the xfx xxx cards?With that monitor maybe not, but I have read plenty of posts from GTX owners selling their cards while its still worth something and buying a GT as a short term solution until the next gen arrives.