PDA

View Full Version : some ultra high graphics pics

Pages : [1] 2 3

FastRedPonyCar
10-30-07, 10:39 PM
I used the incrysis.com tweak guide and turned on just about all the ultra high graphics options. view distance, more advanced water shaders, stuff like that. turned off motion blur and aa and decided to see how playable it is.

Avg of 23.98 fps now after 4 loops of the gpu test. borderline unplayable. I can probably live without the super duper draw distance and all the extra light slices and higher shadows and stuff.

One odd thing was that after day break, I ran all the way back to the point where you meet up with the first teammate. There's a gunship right by the beach so I ran along the shore and when I jumped into the water to swim to the little skinny sand bar, the guy on the radio said beware for sharks but no sharks :(

Sucks that the gunships blow you up. :thumbdwn:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/fastredponycar/Crysis/Crysis2007-10-3021-19-46-45.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/fastredponycar/Crysis/Crysis2007-10-3021-22-31-15.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/fastredponycar/Crysis/Crysis2007-10-3021-25-47-50.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/fastredponycar/Crysis/Crysis2007-10-3021-27-09-96.jpg

Dig the dust and haze in the air after a fire fight!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/fastredponycar/Crysis/Crysis2007-10-3021-33-35-45.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/fastredponycar/Crysis/Crysis2007-10-3021-38-59-98.jpg

MowTin
10-30-07, 10:45 PM
Wow, that last pic is amazing. What settings?

agentkay
10-30-07, 10:47 PM
Can you please post your autoexec.cfg or whatever file you used? Thank you, and great pictures!

FastRedPonyCar
10-30-07, 11:00 PM
Mowtin, they're custom settings all defined by the autoexe config file. I added the following to the game.cfg file.

Current auto exe

sys_spec_GameEffects = 3
sys_spec_ObjectDetail = 3
sys_spec_Particles = 3
sys_spec_Physics = 3
sys_spec_PostProcessing = 0
sys_spec_Quality = 3
sys_spec_Shading = 3
sys_spec_Shadows = 3
sys_spec_Texture = 3
sys_spec_VolumetricEffects = 3
sys_spec_Water = 3
e_foliage_wind_activation_dist = 30
e_max_entity_lights = 16
e_obj_quality = 4
e_particles_max_emitter_draw_screen = 32
e_particles_quality = 4
e_shadows_cast_view_dist_ratio = 0.8
e_vegetation_sprites_distance_ratio = 1.5
e_view_dist_ratio_detail = 30
e_view_dist_ratio_vegetation = 45
e_water_ocean_fft = 1
e_water_tesselation_amount = 10
es_DebrisLifetimeScale = 1
g_battleDust_enable = 1
g_breakage_particles_limit = 250
g_ragdollDistance = 40
g_ragdollMinTime = 15
q_Renderer = 3
q_ShaderFX = 3
q_ShaderGeneral = 3
q_ShaderGlass = 3
q_ShaderHDR = 3
q_ShaderIce = 3
q_ShaderMetal = 3
q_ShaderPostProcess = 3
q_ShaderShadow = 3
q_ShaderSky = 3
q_ShaderTerrain = 3
q_ShaderVegetation = 3
q_ShaderWater = 3
r_BeamsDistFactor = .05
r_BeamsMaxSlices = 200
r_ColorGrading = 1
r_DepthOfField = 2
r_DetailNumLayers = 2
r_DynTexAtlasSpritesMaxSize = 32
r_MotionBlur = 0
r_ShadowJittering = 2.5
r_SSAO_quality = 2
r_SSAO_radius = 2
r_sunshafts = 1
r_TexAtlasSize = 2048
r_WaterReflectionsQuality = 3
r_WaterUpdateDistance = 0.2

e_detail_materials_view_dist_xy = 4096
e_detail_materials_view_dist_z = 256
e_phys_ocean_cell - 0.2
e_view_dist_ratio = 80
e_view_dist_ratio_detail = 30
sys_flash_curve_tess_error = 1

Those last 6 I downloaded the excel spreadsheet detailing each value's function on the engine and changed them as I saw fit.

Link to spreadsheet.

http://files.filefront.com/crysis+SP+cvars+settingsxls/;8915271;/fileinfo.html

nrdstrm
10-31-07, 12:42 AM
That last pic is simply amazing...I know I won't be able to run it well, but I might just try you config so I can see that kind of detail...Awesome..

SH64
10-31-07, 01:09 AM
Amazing pics!

CaptNKILL
10-31-07, 01:29 AM
Amazing pics!
I agree.

The day I can play this game at 2048x1536 and 16xAF with graphics like that at 45+fps constant, I will be a happy man. :D

methimpikehoses
10-31-07, 01:45 AM
post processing = 0... is that the AF? :confused:

SH64
10-31-07, 02:07 AM
post processing = 0... is that the AF? :confused:
No they are different.
AF = Anisotropic Filtering .. its supposed to be in the config file like FarCry but i can't seem to find it so you have to apply it from control panel. its not working in DX10 though.

Post Processing is responsible for effects like Bloom & other lighting effects if i'm not mistaken.

CaptNKILL
10-31-07, 02:17 AM
No they are different.
AF = Anisotropic Filtering .. its supposed to be in the config file like FarCry but i can't seem to find it so you have to apply it from control panel. its not working in DX10 though.

Post Processing is responsible for effects like Bloom & other lighting effects if i'm not mistaken.
It also controls motion blur I think.

methimpikehoses
10-31-07, 02:19 AM
So setting that to 0... is that "low," or is it simply OFF?

Mr_LoL
10-31-07, 02:45 AM
The palm trees in the last pic still look a bit grainy though.

CaptNKILL
10-31-07, 04:21 AM
The palm trees in the last pic still look a bit grainy though.
Probably because of the resolution. 1680x1050 isn't really that high res.

Loreman
10-31-07, 05:25 AM
I actually think the post process effects and volumetric lighting were amazing when I tried this in vista. Seemed like a real hazy/daytime scene on a beach somewhere.

Would be great if direct x 10 actually worked the way they promised it would work.

buffbiff21
10-31-07, 05:27 AM
20 FPS? Ouch.

crainger
10-31-07, 05:29 AM
I love you Jessica Alba.

DCult
10-31-07, 06:34 AM
I love you Jessica Alba.

I know how it feels not to be loved back by Jessica. Get over it :D

Vasot02
10-31-07, 07:14 AM
Nice pics

But 20 fps is bad
Is the game playable enough ??

FastRedPonyCar
10-31-07, 07:47 AM
Nice pics

But 20 fps is bad
Is the game playable enough ??

Actually, it plays surprisingly well in the mid 20's though it's not nearly as comfortable as it is when it's at 30. I've said it a few times here and other fourms but this is the first game I've ever played that 30 fps is totally smooth and playable. Comparable to 45~50 fps in other games like stalker or oblivion.

I don't know what it is but I usually get irritiated as hell when it goes below 40 fps but the first time I fired up crysis, I didn't have fraps running and was like "wow this game is so smooth" I was thinking I was getting around 40 or so fps and was thinking how much better the optimization was than the beta MP demo and then when I ran fraps with the demo and saw low 30's, I was shocked to say the least.

So long answer, yes it's playable enough but there are several ultra high graphics effects that really don't add a noticable amount of detail that do suck down a couple of FPS per effect that I think 99% of players could live without.

I for one, don't miss motion blur at all and the healthy FPS gain from turning it off is great.

Others such as:

Foliage wind distance
maximum light beam slices
cull vegetation activation

Are all settings that I really noticed little to no difference visually when manually changing values. I also noticed very little (but some degree) of visual difference when going from the ultra high down to high material view distance settings (from 4096 to 2048 and 256 to 128 Z distance). Those alone are responsible for about 4~5 fps in the larger areas where a lot of stuff is drawn. And I saw no real visual benefit because even with the material view distance at 2048/128, the trees on the mountain side off in the distance are still all perfectly rendered and the face of the mountain itself is the same high res texture appearance. When the full version comes out, if it's better optimized or if Nvidia puts out drivers that actually give me an increase in performance or even if the game really doesn't have too many huge sprawling vistas like this bay area (although I doubt it) then I think it would be playable with a few more of those ultra high options turned on.

I'm sure having all of them all going at their full values at once compared to all of them at the standard very high settings would yield some degree of a visual difference, but right now, I think I'd need another ultra to pull it off and be totally playable but by picking and choosing a few select options to bump up a little higher like water quality for example can make things look a hair better without too much of a frame rate hit because right now, all the little ultra high settings tweaks just nickel and dime the frame rate and when it dips below 30 fps, I can tell that it's not quite as smooth and playable and in the benchmarks, it still never drops below 20 fps so it never turns into a slide show aside from the occasional checkpoint hiccup but that's forgivable (especially after what we dealt with in FEAR).

Mr_LoL
10-31-07, 02:01 PM
Probably because of the resolution. 1680x1050 isn't really that high res.
Apparently its to do with this because I play at 1920 x 1200 and mine looks the same.
There is a rather sad issue with the way antialiasing works in Crysis. This comes directly from NVIDIA’s James Wang on the use of Transparency Antialiasing in Crysis: ” Crysis handles foliage very differently from normal engines so TRMS/SS won't work. Bit of a shame really. The game has some built-in foliage AA, but it only kicks in in "Very high" quality mode.” Even if you could enable it, the performance doesn’t seem there yet for it anyway with current video cards.

agentkay
10-31-07, 02:06 PM
Great config, and the only thing missing are the higher res shadows (e_shadows_max_texture_size=2048) and it is perfect! :D

FastRedPonyCar
10-31-07, 03:25 PM
I got a feeling higher res shadows will put even more of a beat down on the FPS but if it only ends up costing 1~2, I'll do it.

I want someone come up with an exe file that you can run that would pull up a menu that lets you click to enable all the options rather than having to type them in manually and then have a "run gpu/cpu bechmark" button. :afro:

Rakeesh
10-31-07, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the config, those settings actually work pretty well for me. Probably even better once I get my q6700.

FastRedPonyCar
10-31-07, 06:23 PM
I lowered the material view distance back down to 2048 and turned those shadows up to 2048. benchmarks a steady 27.93 fps give or take .10. It's minimum frame rate was only 25 fps so I think I'm going to play through for a while later on (after all the chirren out trick or treating are in bed).

Gaco
10-31-07, 07:05 PM
I've reviewed this config and compared it to some of the existing ones out there plus the normal maxed DX10 mode etc., check it out ;)

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1431441#post1431441