PDA

View Full Version : Do you approve of my prospective system build?

sillyeagle
10-31-07, 05:09 PM
Here's what I'm going to buy unless there is some reason to change it up. I'm hoping to hit 3.5Ghz for under $500. This set comes to $465.

EVGA 122-CK-NF63-TR 680i SLI - $155
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188019

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 - $195
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115029

Crucial Ballistix 2GB - $115
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148069

crainger
10-31-07, 05:14 PM
Does it HAVE to be an nforce board. The Intel boards are far more stable and hassle free. However my 650i board has given me no trouble. :D

Maybe try to go for 4GB though. Really helps.

methimpikehoses
10-31-07, 05:22 PM
And make sure you buy my E6600.

sillyeagle
10-31-07, 09:01 PM
Last time I looked the intel boards didn't do SLI, or they were a lot more than $150. I know the 680i supports 45nm chips, so with that and SLI support I hope to be set for another year and half.

crainger
10-31-07, 09:15 PM
Well if you want SLI then yeah. Nforce is the way to go. Intel has Skulltrail coming, but it is going to be pricey that's for sure.

I think you'll be set with what you have picked out.

Bman212121
10-31-07, 09:23 PM
Just remember that if you decide to pick up a quadcore the TR will not let you overclock it. I'm going to get a T1 for my friend so we can OC a penryn when they come out.

mythy
10-31-07, 10:24 PM
I thought only the A1's did quads well?

stncttr908
10-31-07, 10:50 PM
Considering what's on the horizon it all seems a bit dated.

mythy
10-31-07, 10:53 PM
not really DDR2 is still way better for the price and 680i is just as good as 780i... all he really needs is a quad core to take him into 2008 :)

buffbiff21
10-31-07, 10:54 PM
I know it's blasphemy, as I've been against dual-die CPUs for as long as I can remember, but at this point you may as well get a quad. Q6600 are somewhere around $260, and X3210 sometimes can be found for $225. That's 1/8 hike in price for twice as many cores.

Get a cheap board.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813127031

And the cheapest memory you can find. 800MHz should be good even for a 8-multiplier CPU like the X3210.

crainger
10-31-07, 11:39 PM
Talk nerdy to me Jessica Alba.

CaptNKILL
11-01-07, 01:43 AM
Talk nerdy to me Jessica Alba.
Get out of here stalker.

Bman212121
11-01-07, 08:16 AM
I thought only the A1's did quads well?

The A1 and T1 are actually the same board, the difference between the two is that the A1 is a retail product and includes a few extra brackets and cables. The T1 is the OEM version that costs about $30 less because it doesn't have these extra things. I've been doing some research into that myself because I was looking at getting one for a friend.

sillyeagle
11-01-07, 06:42 PM
Yeah well there is ALWAYS something in the horizon. I'm not looking to build a cutting edge system. If I were I'd be spending more than $465.

In regards to quads, I have yet to see any compelling reason to get one. It seems pretty clear to me that a higher clock speed is more important than adding two more cores, which is especially true with FSX.

crainger
11-01-07, 06:47 PM
Yeah well there is ALWAYS something in the horizon. I'm not looking to build a cutting edge system. If I were I'd be spending more than $465.

In regards to quads, I have yet to see any compelling reason to get one. It seems pretty clear to me that a higher clock speed is more important than adding two more cores, which is especially true with FSX.

If you play or plan to play UE3 games, then Quad will help you greatly. Other than that, you are correct for now. Though more and more games will now support more than 2 cores. Crysis, most console ports, Alan Wake, The next MS Flight Sim will most likely make big use of Multicore too.

sillyeagle
11-01-07, 06:52 PM
hmm, I just saw the thread the with the 6MB cache versions. I'm slightly tempted to hold out for one those in dual flavor.

K007
11-01-07, 07:05 PM
Get out of here stalker.

lol

Xion X2
11-01-07, 08:38 PM
Uhh, are you sure about that? FSX is supposed to scale across all 4 cores; I have a buddy who swears by it by it playing much faster on a quad than his dualie did.

That game is very CPU-limited, I've heard.

Honestly, there's absolutely no reason to go with a dual-core at this point when a quad is only a tad more. Several games like Lost Planet, Bioshock, FSX, Medal of Honor Airborne, DIRT, etc are already quad-threaded. Just make sure you get a G0 stepping as they run much cooler than the others. With decent cooling you should be able to overclock it close to the speeds of a dual core. Just look at mine--3.75GHz which is higher than I could take my E6600 (3.6GHz).

And DO NOT go with 680i unless you are 100% absolutely-freaking positive you will go SLI. It's one of the buggiest.. if not the buggiest chipset on the market.

Bman212121
11-01-07, 08:45 PM
Uhh, are you sure about that? FSX is supposed to scale across all 4 cores; I have a buddy who swears by it by it playing much faster on a quad than his dualie did.

Honestly, there's absolutely no reason to go with a dual-core at this point when a quad is only a tad more. Several games like Lost Planet, Bioshock, FSX, Medal of Honor Airborne, DIRT, etc are already quad-threaded. Just make sure you get a G0 stepping as they run much cooler than the others. With decent cooling you should be able to overclock it close to the speeds of a dual core. Just look at mine--3.75GHz which is higher than I could take my E6600 (3.6GHz).

And DO NOT go with 680i unless you are 100% absolutely-freaking positive you will go SLI. It's one of the buggiest.. if not the buggiest chipset on the market.

I would have to agree with you on FSX. It is supposed to be able to scale up to 32 cores IIRC. It shouldn't have a problem loading up 4 cores as it easily loads up my two. Also, I can think of a few games already where quad might start to come out aheady. A whole two months ago I would have gone dual over quad, but after seeing what WiC, supreme commander, UT3, FSX, and a few others are doing, quad it starting to sound better and better.

I know you loathe the 680i and actually I have a q for you. What version was your boards that you had? Were they an AR or TR, or was it an A1/T1?

crainger
11-01-07, 09:27 PM
Get out of here stalker.

Haha, Wait till you play The Witcher, there is this old granny in your 'friends' house and she is even more annoying. :)

Xion X2
11-02-07, 05:03 PM
I would have to agree with you on FSX. It is supposed to be able to scale up to 32 cores IIRC. It shouldn't have a problem loading up 4 cores as it easily loads up my two. Also, I can think of a few games already where quad might start to come out aheady. A whole two months ago I would have gone dual over quad, but after seeing what WiC, supreme commander, UT3, FSX, and a few others are doing, quad it starting to sound better and better.

I know you loathe the 680i and actually I have a q for you. What version was your boards that you had? Were they an AR or TR, or was it an A1/T1?

I honestly couldn't tell you. I don't think there were many revisions out around the time I had mine. But I owned 5 of them from 3 different vendors in a span of 3 months, and every one of them either died or had major issues. They are the only motherboards I have ever had go bad in any of my systems, and I have a lot of builds on my resume. I think they have gotten better since the revisions, but I still wouldn't trust one as far as I could toss a full-grown hippo.

It got so bad it was to the point where I cringed while screwing the mainboard into my case because I knew it wouldn't be there for long without having to take the damn thing back out again.

Legend
11-02-07, 06:19 PM

Yeah I dont know where sillyeagle is getting that from because Flight Sim X loads all 4 of my cores at 100% and performance has picked up a whole lot over what my E6600 offered in this sim.

For reference I was running my E6600 at 3.6ghz and my Q6600 is at 3.4ghz. The quad walks all over the higher clocked E6600 in this simulator.