PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Question

six_storm
10-31-07, 10:55 PM
I'm reinstalling XP and Vista and was wondering something. I've set up my whole Raptor drive just for games and of course I have two OS's. How can I install the games and have it to allow both OSs to run them? Usually, if you install say Far Cry in XP and try to run it in Vista, it will tell you to install it in Vista. Any help?

ViN86
10-31-07, 11:34 PM
I'm reinstalling XP and Vista and was wondering something. I've set up my whole Raptor drive just for games and of course I have two OS's. How can I install the games and have it to allow both OSs to run them? Usually, if you install say Far Cry in XP and try to run it in Vista, it will tell you to install it in Vista. Any help?
if all the files are the same, try installing it on a different drive. then there could be some registry conflicts, though.

otherwise, if the files are different, then you will need separate installs for the OS's.

six_storm
10-31-07, 11:46 PM
I'm going to just install it via Vista first and see how it does on XP.

JasonPC
10-31-07, 11:54 PM
It really depends on the game. Most games are going to have regisistry dependencies (keys and such). You could try to install it on XP (or Vista) and then install it to the same location on Vista (or XP). Some installers recognize that the game files themselves are already there and will only install the shortcuts and registry keys. But you may not be so lucky with others. Then there's also the issue where you install patches which also install or update registry keys and some issues may arise there.

crainger
11-01-07, 03:38 AM
It's going to be a better idea to have one location for XP games and one for Vista. Will save you a lot of hassle and we know how little Windows hassle you will take. :p

DRen72
11-01-07, 08:49 AM
I install the game in one location then I just copy my registry keys from one OS and import them to the other. Usually works just fine for most games I've tried this with. (Oblivion, Tomb Raider: Anniversary, ARMA, Gothic 3 to name a few)

Only problem is that if you uninstall the game, it won't take out the registry entries in the OS I imported them into. I have to remember to do it manually.