PDA

View Full Version : What is with the bad performance???

PaiN
11-01-07, 07:30 PM
This really stinks....between the Crysis demo and Hellgate: London, I feel like the real world is moving in slow motion :( . I can half way understand Crysis being tough on a high end PC, but Hellgate too??
I can not get either one of these game to run decently..they both chug badly well into low teens fps(or less in intensive areas. I've tried lower resolutions...less effects or both. Tonight I even tried HG in DX9. Performance is abismal....
I hate to ask but, is it Vista and DX10? Do these game run better under XP??

SeriTonin
11-01-07, 07:39 PM
It's everyone from the OS creator, to the game developers, to the hardware engineers all ensuring everything isn't nearly as efficient as possible so they can make the next big bad thing to sell. ;)

PaiN
11-01-07, 07:46 PM
..I don't get it, everything ran butter smooth @1920x1200 maxed out, up until now; Bioshock, MoH:A, Two Worlds, GRAW2, NWN2....you name it and it ran. I know I shouldn't campair unrelated games.....but come on?? perfectly playable to a slide show ....something is not right here.

SeriTonin
11-01-07, 07:53 PM
it's compaines telling you it's time for the next big bad thing. =)

pg_ice
11-01-07, 08:05 PM
its the new and advanced shaders and lightning effects.
the 8800 cards cant handle those simple as that.

turn down shaders in crysis and you have super performance.

$n][pErMan
11-01-07, 08:09 PM
I'm going to start to run out of money :(

NaitoSan
11-01-07, 08:17 PM
8900 GTX/Ultra is going to fix that. :) Kinda sucks I know.

ChaoticNick
11-01-07, 08:22 PM
I hate to ask but, is it Vista and DX10? Do these game run better under XP??

I don't hate Vista, but yes that is part of the problem.

Eliminator
11-01-07, 08:36 PM
no its the lack of optimizations... have you played UT3 and timeshift?... those games look great and have amazing performance

MowTin
11-01-07, 08:56 PM
..I don't get it, everything ran butter smooth @1920x1200 maxed out, up until now; Bioshock, MoH:A, Two Worlds, GRAW2, NWN2....you name it and it ran. I know I shouldn't campair unrelated games.....but come on?? perfectly playable to a slide show ....something is not right here.

That's because 1920x1200 is an extreme resolution. In my gaming history it's always been the case that newer games cannot be run at extreme resolutions with current hardware.

What's considered extreme has changed over the years. It used to be that 1024x780 was extreme. I remember even when 800x600 was extreme. I'm remember being impressed by how cool Duke Nukem looked at 640x480...Wow.

The fact that now you can't game at 1920x1200 means that we're finally getting some games that are pushing the hardware envelope.

jeffmd
11-01-07, 09:19 PM
1920x1200 imo is the "Holy crap my video card is way to powerfull for this game" res. 1680x1050 with AA, atleast for me, is all thats needed, and even then I expect I may need to go without AA on next gen titles. Heck, I'm actually interested in getting a 30inch hdtv (720p) for gaming on.

PaiN
11-01-07, 10:43 PM
I fixed the performance issue in Hellgate...
I made a shortcut to "hellgate_sp_dx9_x64.exe" instead of the launcher...using the new short cut I set the in game options to 1920x1200, DX10, with all maxed and dynamic lighting on...The game plays beautiful, nice and smooth, no(detectable) slow downs at all.
For the hell of it I tried making a shortcut to "hellgate_sp_dx10_x64.exe" when the game launched at the above setting it was a complete dog again.
Visually, I don't have the motion blur effect when launched from "hellgate_sp_dx9_x64" but other than that its hard to see any other difference.

SH64
11-01-07, 10:49 PM
Hmm Hellgate demo is running smoothly for me under XP.
EDIT : Ah good to see its fixed!

methimpikehoses
11-01-07, 11:06 PM
no its the lack of optimizations... have you played UT3 and timeshift?... those games look great and have amazing performance

I agree here... thought I haven't played Timeshift, UT3 seems to have upped the ante compared to the previous gen of games and the game still runs great at high res and high settings.

PaiN
11-01-07, 11:09 PM
turn down shaders in crysis and you have super performance.
Ok, I took your advice....I launched the Crysis demo(64bit) set the shaders and volumetric effects to medium @ 1920x1200, 2xAA, all other effects on high. Wow!!! I couldn't believe what a difference that change made, It played totally smooth, and hardly looked any difference. (I also installed the FW169.04 earlier today)

thanks

MUYA
11-01-07, 11:10 PM
Can u notice the difference in IQ when you turned down shader quality?

methimpikehoses
11-01-07, 11:35 PM
Can u notice the difference in IQ when you turned down shader quality?

Yes.

v3rninater
11-01-07, 11:40 PM
Why in the world are we crying about new games coming out using new systems (dx10, 64bit). Have you tried going into the options menu and tweaking that?

Hellgate for one will use like 16x AA if you max out the graphics. Sorry but the hardware now isn't 100% optimized for the upcoming games like Crysis. Plus Crysis is going run A LOT better once you get the retail game.

Go look at the Hellgate feedback forums if you want to know how others and I feel about the game.

Have a nice day, (KWAFF - my new guild it's keep whiners away from forums.....) kthxbai

:afro:

jcrox
11-01-07, 11:48 PM
I would say it's mostly because our video cards are a full year old now... which is pretty old for a gpu. Yes the 8800 Ultra's came out just not that long ago but really.. they're nothing but an over clocked GTX so still.. 1 year old. We need some new stuff :)

PaiN
11-02-07, 12:46 AM
Have a nice day, (KWAFF - my new guild it's keep whiners away from forums.....) kthxbai

:afro:
or you can join my guild.."KAHOTF" "k.eep a.ss h.oles o.ff t.he f.urum"

conroejoe
11-02-07, 01:07 AM
or you can join my guild.."KAHOTF" "k.eep a.ss h.oles o.ff t.he f.urum"

haha either way we win, buh bye lol.

LycosV
11-02-07, 01:58 AM
I agree with MowTin that our expectations for gaming have increased exponentially over the years. Just because we have LCD monitors with native resolutions of 2560x1600 doesn't mean we can expect to play games at that resolution.

Although that brings up an interesting point: Can Crysis run with all the graphics at max options at a low resolution (ie: 1024x768 or even 640x480)?

I tend to think that the game programmers are getting lazier all the time. Whether it be compression of a games assets, or graphical implementation, most game programmers seem to take the "as soon as it works" appoach to programming. The old "cheap, fast, and good; pick two" applies well, and I think they love cheap and fast (development that is).