PDA

View Full Version : Looking past Crysis...

Pages : [1] 2

Vanzagar
11-02-07, 04:16 AM
When Crysis first came out my jaw dropped on how great it looked compared to anything else on the market at the time, now that Crysis is here I haven't seen anything that looks real great or pushes the envelope beyond it, anyone seen anything that pushes the envelop much beyond Crysis? Maybe something a year or 2 away... just curious…

Alan Wake looks okay but the models look stiff and kind of awkward from the vids, Mafia 2 looks good, but only seen a small clip... only other thing I can think of would be Project Offset... maybe that's a good thing, can focus on a game for a change without anticipating something greater down the road...

SH64
11-02-07, 04:41 AM
Nothing so far expect for Project Offset.
i hope that game lives its expectations just like Crysis so we can get another true kick to the PC gaming industry.

Revs
11-02-07, 04:47 AM
Nothing so far expect for Project Offset.
i hope that game lives its expectations just like Crysis so we can get another true kick to the PC gaming industry.

+1. Really hope PO rocks too :captnkill:

lapino
11-02-07, 11:37 AM
Far Cry 2. Never seen the videos? They're amazing.

methimpikehoses
11-02-07, 12:18 PM

+1

Brent101
11-02-07, 12:35 PM

Yeah, the videos of Far Cry 2 were quite impressive. The attention to detail they have put in the environment was crazy good. I have high hopes thats for sure.

3DBrad
11-02-07, 12:38 PM
Project Offset > * shown games ;)

Vanzagar
11-02-07, 12:42 PM

Sure I've seen the vids, but you really think it looks much better than Crysis? I was thinking it was on par so I didn't bother mentioning it, maybe I should go back and take another look... Maybe we're reaching the apex of great graphics...

nekrosoft13
11-02-07, 01:01 PM
Sure I've seen the vids, but you really think it looks much better than Crysis? I was thinking it was on par so I didn't bother mentioning it, maybe I should go back and take another look... Maybe we're reaching the apex of great graphics...

Far Cry 2 looks somewhere between Far Cry and Crysis.

Far Cry 2 still has a chance to have better gameplay then Crysis. Crysis gameplay is fun, but if every level is about the same. We will see.

Far Cry 2 is more like Stalker.

CDE_1246
11-02-07, 02:39 PM
Crysis is way better than Farcry.

Redeemed
11-02-07, 02:50 PM
The actual visuals in FarCry2 seemed comparable to those in Crysis. It is just FarCry 2 is more "realistic". Like what they demonstrated with the flamethrower in that video- nothing like that has been shown for Crysis yet. Actual wind directions that effect the direction of the flames and pretty much everything else, there's a lot of attention paid just in an attempt to make it seem more "realistic" in regards to how your character can interact with the world.

Me, the two titles I'm aticipating the most is FarCry2 and Crysis. :D

elbo
11-02-07, 03:05 PM
Rage.

LycosV
11-02-07, 04:47 PM
Even ignoring the DX9\10 debate, everyone seems to agree that Crysis pushes current graphics hardware beyond its limits. I know it doesn't run good on my graphics card. :) You're not going to see games that look better until graphics hardware can handle it.

SH64
11-02-07, 06:54 PM
Far Cry 2 looks somewhere between Far Cry and Crysis.

Yep graphically FC2 looked a little bit less than Crysis & at most equal it so this is still nothing to look for it "past Crysis" from a graphics standpoint.

Armed_Baboon
11-02-07, 07:54 PM
how can you tell just how good far cry 2 is? the only video I have seen was filmed on a handy-cam looking at a big tv

SH64
11-02-07, 07:58 PM
how can you tell just how good far cry 2 is? the only video I have seen was filmed on a handy-cam looking at a big tv
You can still make something out of that 20mins video. some of the effects are pretty cool (soft particles & whatnot) but nothing that beats Crysis thats i'm almost certain of.

Vanzagar
11-04-07, 02:19 AM
Any games in the future using the Crysis engine, what's it called Crytek2 or something like that?

I thought one of their main goals was to sell this engine, they put so much into the editor, yet I haven't heard of a single game company that has picked it up....

Redeemed
11-04-07, 03:27 AM
You can still make something out of that 20mins video. some of the effects are pretty cool (soft particles & whatnot) but nothing that beats Crysis thats i'm almost certain of.

Um, try being able to create large-scale fires that effect anything that *should* be flamable? Can't do that in Crysis. Get a hummer to blow up, do the trees or shrubs around it even act appropriately to the heat caused by the explosion? Nope. According to that video of FC2, that's exaclty what will happen.

IMO, FC2 looked equivalent to Crysis in terms of visuals and graphics. The real difference is how much more interactive the world-environment is in FC2 compared to Crysis.

Honestly, I'm almost looking forward to FC2 more than Crysis. :o

Here's a link to that video. Amazing... :drooling:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/118821.html

XxDeadlyxX
11-04-07, 04:15 AM
Um, try being able to create large-scale fires that effect anything that *should* be flamable? Can't do that in Crysis. Get a hummer to blow up, do the trees or shrubs around it even act appropriately to the heat caused by the explosion? Nope. According to that video of FC2, that's exaclty what will happen.

IMO, FC2 looked equivalent to Crysis in terms of visuals and graphics. The real difference is how much more interactive the world-environment is in FC2 compared to Crysis.

Honestly, I'm almost looking forward to FC2 more than Crysis. :o

Here's a link to that video. Amazing... :drooling:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/118821.html

WOW that looks good... is it using CryEngine2? Or a modified version of it? The tin roofs look very similar to Crysis, so does the destructability - so I'm guessing it is? Definitely gives Crysis a good run for its money when it comes to the realistic flora/trees too.

EDIT: Uses the Ubisoft YETI Engine -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YETI_engine

Nkd
11-04-07, 03:43 PM
guys far cry 2 looks stunning, and it might end up being better than crysis, its still being worked on, why do we all buy in to the hype of crysis, yes it looks great but why does it hurt people's feelings when someone says far cry 2 might end up being better than crysis, the details to the enviorment are just amazing in far cry and I am sure it will surpass crysis by the time its finished. and I love crysis and its a great achievement but I am already looking for someone to come out and surpass it in graphics arena and far cry 2 is the only game that could do just that.

crainger
11-04-07, 03:53 PM
Wolf Quest. All I need to say really.

Hoopla
11-04-07, 04:07 PM
Now that I've seen Crysis in action I don't think that other games (except FarCry 2) will look as good... well, at least this year.

ASUSEN7900GTX
11-04-07, 04:11 PM
well sure we have assasinīs creed alan wake resident evil 5 but donīt forget Duken Nukem Forever might just pop up when we leat expect it to what will it be 2008 ten years after it initally was to be realesed well it is a project that must have cost a ****ing lot of money well i am sure it will be a myth nothing else sure they are saying that it is on the way yeah rght why donīt they give it up already

well anyways i think 2008 will be a good game year as well

SH64
11-04-07, 05:45 PM

Thats interactivity & the OP is talking graphics i believe.
so still FarCry2 wont turn out something to look beyond Crysis "graphically".

SeriTonin
11-04-07, 06:18 PM
farcry 2 looks way better than crysis imo.