PDA

View Full Version : SLI ON X38

qube
11-02-07, 08:37 AM
The debate on X38 running SLI has been going on for some time now. While many stories have been founded on misinterpretations and pure speculations, there have been talk from some of the motherboard manufacturers to make drivers of their own for running SLI on Intel's high-end chipset X38. While Intel is keeping a rather low profile, it would not deny that X38 can run SLI if you ask them, NVIDIA on the the other hand is denying any SLI support for X38, which is completely true as of today. A user over at XtremeSystems now claims that he will receive working SLI drivers for X38 very soon. Exactly from whom or which company (if any) remains uncertain, but a pretty sure bet would be Foxconn as they were the ones who started this rumor circus.

http://www.nordichardware.com/news,7008.html

Brent101
11-02-07, 08:49 AM
This all depends on the implimentation of it. Will it require a driver re-write everytime Nvidia releases a new forceware? If so, then its not worth waiting months for motherboard manufactures to rewrite their sli driver when forceware drivers are obsolete every few weeks anyways.

If this doesn't require new drivers everytime a forceware driver is released, I suppose this could be good.

DRen72
11-02-07, 08:59 AM
This all depends on the implimentation of it. Will it require a driver re-write everytime Nvidia releases a new forceware? If so, then its not worth waiting months for motherboard manufactures to rewrite their sli driver when forceware drivers are obsolete every few weeks anyways.

If this doesn't require new drivers everytime a forceware driver is released, I suppose this could be good.
My exact first thoughts after readng this.

LordJuanlo
11-02-07, 10:22 AM
nVidia should allow SLI on X38 and other Intel chipsets if they don't want to see people getting ATI video cards as soon as they are decent. I have seen some people in this forum get rid of nForce 680 mobos and their second graphics card, to buy an Intel motherboard and a new CPU, simply because nForce 680 chipset is not half as good as intel chipsets.

ATI will ship dual RV670 cards in Q1 2008. If one of those cards is similar, o even 15% slower than SLI 8800GT, then I will get two ATI boards for quad-crossfire, if ATI drivers are good enough.

Buckeye
11-02-07, 10:29 AM
Yup only running 1 8800gtx atm because I prefer the Maximus.

So if you install the second GPU the system simply does not see it ? or does it go BOOM ! :)

newfiejudd
11-02-07, 10:39 AM
Well in high end SLI laptops, SLI is working on Intel boards. The nly probelm is driver support. People are continually getting frustrated about driver support. So who knows I think it is plausible.

walterman
11-02-07, 02:10 PM
nVidia should allow SLI on X38 and other Intel chipsets if they don't want to see people getting ATI video cards as soon as they are decent. I have seen some people in this forum get rid of nForce 680 mobos and their second graphics card, to buy an Intel motherboard and a new CPU, simply because nForce 680 chipset is not half as good as intel chipsets.

ATI will ship dual RV670 cards in Q1 2008. If one of those cards is similar, o even 15% slower than SLI 8800GT, then I will get two ATI boards for quad-crossfire, if ATI drivers are good enough.

QFT, Nvidia is digging its own grave.

Redeemed
11-02-07, 02:27 PM
I've got a BadAxe mobo, E6600, and 2GB DDR2 800 just waiting for dual graphics cards. Course, they'll be from ATi. I'm thinking Quad-CrossFire like was already mentioned. I'm sure that paired with an E6600 @ 3.4GHz should perform nicely. :D

Monolyth
11-02-07, 03:13 PM
Course, they'll be from ATi. I'm thinking Quad-CrossFire like was already mentioned.

I'm sorry.

Monolyth
11-02-07, 03:31 PM
It seems to me that nVidia holds SLI to itself a little too tightly when they should have made the ability to do SLI an industry-wide open-standard. How much does nVidia make per-GPU vs. motherboards? Unless nVidia makes ALOT on their mobo chipsets, I don't see the business reason behind making it so difficult for chipset designers to include support for it.

And SLI should NOT be something related to drivers apart from a standard API set given by the chipset drivers. Why when I have 2-8800GTX's in SLI do I only see a 1.25x increase? Probably the overhead from the drivers. The communication should be placed within the confines of the mobo chipset, the only thing the drivers should need to know is whether or not it exists (no more of this SLI profile BS). Then all you do is make it scalable, drivers iterate through a collection of hardware devices (as provided by the chipset API) and sends information to be rendered on each card, rendering completes on a given frame (or part of a frame) and is sent back to the card(s) that are being used for display. All communication pieces are handled on the mobo northbridge as they are now.

I'm not a hardware dev., but what I know of communication, and parallel processing of information which I do know something about, it seems like nVidia just didn't want to share with the rest of the kiddies, despite it being a better way to go.

Mr Bigman
11-03-07, 11:36 PM
Sli could work fine on intel chipset. Horashio got his working with some modification to the driver.

LORD-eX-Bu
11-03-07, 11:39 PM
it would be awesome if the X48 chipset is SLI enabled :lol:

maybe thats what it is... :bleh:

:p

crainger
11-03-07, 11:43 PM
I'm sorry.

:rofl

Xion X2
11-04-07, 09:26 AM
It seems to me that nVidia holds SLI to itself a little too tightly when they should have made the ability to do SLI an industry-wide open-standard. How much does nVidia make per-GPU vs. motherboards? Unless nVidia makes ALOT on their mobo chipsets, I don't see the business reason behind making it so difficult for chipset designers to include support for it.

And SLI should NOT be something related to drivers apart from a standard API set given by the chipset drivers. Why when I have 2-8800GTX's in SLI do I only see a 1.25x increase? Probably the overhead from the drivers. The communication should be placed within the confines of the mobo chipset, the only thing the drivers should need to know is whether or not it exists (no more of this SLI profile BS). Then all you do is make it scalable, drivers iterate through a collection of hardware devices (as provided by the chipset API) and sends information to be rendered on each card, rendering completes on a given frame (or part of a frame) and is sent back to the card(s) that are being used for display. All communication pieces are handled on the mobo northbridge as they are now.

I'm not a hardware dev., but what I know of communication, and parallel processing of information which I do know something about, it seems like nVidia just didn't want to share with the rest of the kiddies, despite it being a better way to go.

Give this man an Nvidia license!

We definitely need SLI on all platforms. I REFUSE to buy another Nvidia chipset until they get their mess worked out.