PDA

View Full Version : Bad RAM again?

Pages : [1] 2

gulizard
11-02-07, 01:37 PM
Can it be that the second 4GB of RAM I just got is bad to? At first memtest reported it as all being bad then I changed the timing, and it reported it most of it as good down to 4076 then it started to again become bad - how is it possible I could get TWO batches of RAM that are bad from OCZ? This is pissing me off now - so far no blue screens though..

I also a question related to Vista and my 4GB of RAM. What do you recommend I set my page file to, and what hard drive secondary, or primary?

gulizard
11-02-07, 03:58 PM
680i - check

That could be the reason. That board killed 4GB for me as well, twice within 3 days.

680i check? Whats that mean?

My 680i runs flawless dude... the other two modules haven't died - so it has to be that I've gotten a bad batch, or else I haven't got something setup right, but to me if the RAM itself wasn't bad and I had something setup wrong then all the sticks would have errors in them, rather then SOME.

licker
11-02-07, 04:03 PM
Can it be that the second 4GB of RAM I just got is bad to? At first memtest reported it as all being bad then I changed the timing, and it reported it most of it as good down to 4076 then it started to again become bad - how is it possible I could get TWO batches of RAM that are bad from OCZ? This is pissing me off now - so far no blue screens though..

I also a question related to Vista and my 4GB of RAM. What do you recommend I set my page file to, and what hard drive secondary, or primary?

If you have 4GB of ram you shouldnt need a page file

gulizard
11-02-07, 04:40 PM
Had the same problem twice. Only one out of the 4 modules died within 3 days or so after I installed 4 modules. The board killed the memory. Two modules of the same RAM is fine but as soon as I tried to use 4 one module died within 3 days.

Weird hope this is not the case.. I am in windows have had several memory intensive programs running with no crashes PERIOD... knock on wood..

Xion X2
11-02-07, 05:57 PM
Weird hope this is not the case.. I am in windows have had several memory intensive programs running with no crashes PERIOD... knock on wood..
Slawter's right. 680i eats memory. OCZ even commented on it a while back. The ****-ass board overvolts the RAM.

gulizard
11-03-07, 01:04 AM
Slawter's right. 680i eats memory. OCZ even commented on it a while back. The ****-ass board overvolts the RAM.

Nah I got voltages setup at 2.1 its staying at that, its not the board... I have to disagree - plenty of people have had no issues with it + I am running the latest bios... I remember Xion you had horrible luck with the board.. I haven't had one problem, knock on wood.. See what makes this look bad for OCZ and not the board is rather then all the sticks being bad, its only a small fraction receiving the errors, and not the whole thing, last time when I took both sticks of the other 2GB out and had just the RAM that was bad in it got errors through both sticks.

I got a question though for you guys who O/C I realize 4GB is more RAM, could my memory errors be caused by my OC? I am not ocing the RAM but about 5MHz if that, it runs at like 804MHz.. Can it be that with 4GB of RAM I need to increase the voltage of the CPU a bit more to make the RAM run stable, or is that only if I were O/Cing the RAM as well?

Xion X2
11-03-07, 10:45 AM
Nah I got voltages setup at 2.1 its staying at that

I am not talking about what the voltage reads in the BIOS. It will READ 2.1, but it does not RUN at 2.1. The voltage fluctuates with spikes.

But hey, don't believe several members here who have experienced the same issues or a major memory manufacturer if you choose.

I haven't had one problem, knock on wood..

Yes you have. It ate your memory. :)

Saintster
11-03-07, 11:11 AM
I am not talking about what the voltage reads in the BIOS. It will READ 2.1, but it does not RUN at 2.1. The voltage fluctuates with spikes.

But hey, don't believe several members here who have experienced the same issues or a major memory manufacturer if you choose.

You can lead a horse to water......:D

Xion X2
11-03-07, 12:44 PM
You can lead a horse to water......:D
:)

gulizard
11-03-07, 01:24 PM
eh well I just got a chance to slide 4GB of corsair courtesy of a buddy of mine in this thing, and its not got one error, it hasn't even so much as asked for the timings - so again my board is not at fault...

I believe the 680i boards may have ate memory before Xion - but mine is not doing that... I've never had problems with this board at all...

Dazz
11-03-07, 01:37 PM
Yeah anything over 2.1 volts, and the 680i overvolts for some reason and will kill the memory over time. Corsair have had alot of problems with them too as their high end memory needs 2.4v but at that voltage and the 680i's over voltage they don't last very long at all. It gets even worse when you use all four memory slots too.

sammy sung
11-03-07, 01:50 PM
Mine are supposed to need 2.3v to operate at 1066 but i never got that to work.I settled for 1.85v and 850mhz with tighter timings .Atleast it should be safe for the voltage spikes i hope.

gulizard
11-03-07, 02:34 PM
I'll back mine down to 1.9-2.0

Xion X2
11-03-07, 03:37 PM
eh well I just got a chance to slide 4GB of corsair courtesy of a buddy of mine in this thing, and its not got one error, it hasn't even so much as asked for the timings

Well.. yeah... no ****. Unless his has been in a 680i over a long period of time, it's probably ok. I don't think anyone ever told you that it would kill the RAM right away...

Anyway, do what you want; I was just trying to help you out. I wish you good luck with it.

nekrosoft13
11-03-07, 03:41 PM
680i - check

That could be the reason. That board killed 4GB for me as well, twice within 3 days.

been running 4gb at 1100mhz for about 2+ months. there is nothign wrong with 680i

nekrosoft13
11-03-07, 03:42 PM
If you have 4GB of ram you shouldnt need a page file

some programs will freak out if there is no pagefile.

gulizard
11-03-07, 03:54 PM
Well.. yeah... no ****. Unless his has been in a 680i over a long period of time, it's probably ok. I don't think anyone ever told you that it would kill the RAM right away...

Anyway, do what you want; I was just trying to help you out. I wish you good luck with it.

I understand man... I was being nice about it.. I am just saying I don't think thats it... The OCZ guy tells me memtest may give errors but if its not giving me problems gaming or in windows its fine.

Dazz
11-03-07, 04:25 PM
Well for the time being atleast but 2.0v should be fine it will up it to about 2.1-2.2v.

gulizard
11-03-07, 05:57 PM
So is it true that memtest can report errors and the RAM not be bad if its not crashing?

Xion X2
11-03-07, 06:35 PM
So is it true that memtest can report errors and the RAM not be bad if its not crashing?
Memtest doesn't just detect bad RAM; it detects a bad overclock. If your RAM is running out of its spec or if you have an unstable CPU overclock, then that shows up too. Everything works together.

DiscipleDOC
11-03-07, 07:20 PM
My RAM is bad...and I have to RMA it as well.:thumbdwn:

gulizard
11-03-07, 08:28 PM
My RAM is bad...and I have to RMA it as well.:thumbdwn:

That sucks bro - I hope you got some to back up what you already have..

DiscipleDOC
11-03-07, 09:02 PM
That sucks bro - I hope you got some to back up what you already have..
I do...but I really wanted to have 4 gigs running....

gulizard
11-03-07, 10:44 PM
Coincidence? I don't think so. If you don't use SLI, get rid of that 680i crap.

I like my 680i, and for your information my RAM hasn't crashed at all.. Been playing games fine, memtest just reported an error - not worrying about it, they got lifetime warranties on them so its all good. Same with my motherboard...

mythy
11-04-07, 12:34 AM
My Geil can handle 2.6V hehe and it runs stable at 1.8 so I am not concerned at all and I got a 680i headed my way