PDA

View Full Version : Post Processing

cyntho
11-02-07, 12:54 PM
What does post processing do for you within a game?

Is it worth enabling with any CPU, or do you actually need a GOOD CPU to do this with?

nekrosoft13
11-02-07, 12:56 PM
Post Processing is more of GPU thing. Its special effects like motion blur, depth of field etc..

CDE_1246
11-02-07, 01:15 PM
http://www.vidaextra.com/images/crysis_esp1.jpg

There's an example of post processing. It's the blurriness in the background.

beardstroke
11-02-07, 01:18 PM
post processing also includes HDR / bloom effects right?

zoomy942
11-02-07, 01:20 PM
yeah. thats what it does in Guild Wars.. adds bloom.

i personally dont like it, but it's everyone own choice:)

DRen72
11-02-07, 01:25 PM
I just hate motion blur and depth of field. Completely unrealistic and a step backward in my opinion. Whoever came up with it likes movies too much.

However, I like most HDR effects, although some are also overdone.

nekrosoft13
11-02-07, 01:37 PM
I just hate motion blur and depth of field. Completely unrealistic and a step backward in my opinion. Whoever came up with it likes movies too much.

unrealistic how? so when you look around in real world you don't see depth of field?

when you run around or quickly turn around you don't get motion blur?

cyntho
11-02-07, 02:07 PM
So if you're the type of gamer who's more in it for the competition of multiplayer, then Post Processing could affect your performance due to not being able to see the game in a more "unrealistic" perspective.

So what I'm gather is that it's probably better to have Post Processing turned off for multiplayer and turned on for single player for the added special effects.

Is that about right?

Fats_43
11-02-07, 03:26 PM
unrealistic how? so when you look around in real world you don't see depth of field?

IRL things in the distance are not totally blurry sure they are not in focus but they sure as hell aren't what developers make it.

They go way overboard with all effects IMO hence = Unrealistic.

And anytime your in sunlight everything around you is almost white? I mean come on it's kinda silly the way some of these developers implement effects.

LycosV
11-02-07, 03:44 PM

When you change your focus in real life you never notice that other objects are out of focus. Whatever you look at it always in focus, no matter the distance. In a video game my eyes aren't glued to the center of the screen, they move around looking at everything. I shouldn't have to move my mouse to point at something to see what it is, my eyes can move and look at it fine on their own.

Double vision based on distance is a far more common and noticeable effect in real life (ie hold hand in front of face while focused on monitor and you see double) but I think we can all agree that would be REALLY annoying in a game.

I think that alot of the post processing effects are unnecesary because our eyes do them already.

Richteralan
11-02-07, 04:03 PM
wow then you must be a superhuman to run or turn around at that speed:cool:

SH64
11-02-07, 06:00 PM
The new Post Processing effects being used in recent graphics engines are truely amazing esp. the motion blur which is turing to be a must for me in each game unless its style dosent allow that.

Gaco
11-02-07, 06:03 PM
The answer is in the name itself: Post Processing means all those effects that are, so to say, overlaid on the render, added after the "primary processing" of the game's geometry, shaders etc. - depth of field, motion blur, HDR, lightning mood, colorpalette etc. are all good examples for that :)

jolle
11-02-07, 07:00 PM
yeah, much like a photoshop filter for example.
per pixel on the entire rendered image, bloom would do certain glow operations on pixels using some threshold value of how bright the pixel is for example.
Depth of field would need depth data, dunno how they get that, doing it in production you render a black and white depth pass which the DoF filter uses as depth reference for the image (black being the point furthest from the camera, white the closest), I guess they do it similar with realtime.

SH64
11-02-07, 07:05 PM
yeah, much like a photoshop filter for example.
per pixel on the entire rendered image, bloom would do certain glow operations on pixels using some threshold value of how bright the pixel is for example.
Depth of field would need depth data, dunno how they get that, doing it in production you render a black and white depth pass which the DoF filter uses as depth reference for the image (black being the point furthest from the camera, white the closest), I guess they do it similar with realtime.
As usual thanks for the technical details jolle .. & of course the other guys! :)

DRen72
11-02-07, 11:14 PM

Below pretty much sums it up for me also.

When you change your focus in real life you never notice that other objects are out of focus. Whatever you look at it always in focus, no matter the distance. In a video game my eyes aren't glued to the center of the screen, they move around looking at everything. I shouldn't have to move my mouse to point at something to see what it is, my eyes can move and look at it fine on their own.

Double vision based on distance is a far more common and noticeable effect in real life (ie hold hand in front of face while focused on monitor and you see double) but I think we can all agree that would be REALLY annoying in a game.

I think that alot of the post processing effects are unnecesary because our eyes do them already.

K007
11-02-07, 11:24 PM

However, I like most HDR effects, although some are also overdone.

I like it but i think when its overdone..it ruins it. Vegas had an option to reduce the blur which made it better, in max..it was just stupid..in low..it was actually not bad.

I think i like that developers are adding it, motion blur and depth of field, but they need to control it so that its not an overkill. Medal of Honor Airborne has it..and its really sometimes becomes just a complete overkill. Crysis to some degree the motion blue is..a bit overkill...they just need to add a little bit of it..maybe 10-15%..not 200%..

DRen72
11-02-07, 11:41 PM
To me Motion Blur give the exact same effect I get when I run a game that gives me 10 frames per second. I sure don't get Motion Blur when I run or turn very fast. Well, at least we can turn this stuff off if we want.