PDA

View Full Version : Gears of War PC - Rather Negative Impressions

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

nekrosoft13
11-02-07, 03:09 PM
Packaged alongside the entertaining gameplay is an impressive feature set, particularly the option for online co-operative play. To make full use of it, however, you'll need a Live gold account, which costs money. Though Gears is entertaining, we can't say it's worth signing up for yet another service when so many other titles out there offer full access to their online features with no additional cost. If you sign up for a Live Silver account, which is free, you can still play in non-ranked multiplayer games, though your experience is feature-limited. Assuming you already have an account, don't care about the additional cost, or are content with having limited access to the online functions, then there's plenty here to enjoy. You get five multiplayer modes and 19 maps, which should provide for lots of entertainment. For Achievement junkies, Gears PC gives you points on top of what you may have already earned with the Xbox 360 version. So even if you've beaten the game on Microsoft's console, you get credit for all the same Achievements again on PC.

Fans of the game are sure to be curious about the new single-player content, which consists of five new chapters stuffed into the beginning of Gears' fifth act. It adds an hour or two of extra gameplay, depending on how many times you're killed and forced to restart from checkpoints, and offers much of the same gameplay as you've already had before. Throughout the entirety of the five new chapters you're tailed by a Brumak, the heavily-armed monster Xbox 360 gamers never got to actually battle at Act 4's conclusion. You do get to fire bullets at the guy in this version, and it's a challenging fight playing solo on the either hardcore or insane difficulty settings. When playing co-operatively you'll notice a significant drop in challenge level, mostly because Gears' friendly AI just isn't that good.

Then there's the question of performance. Gears is still a gorgeous game, but in both DX9 and DX10 we noticed it would stutter on a regular basis. Things would run smoothly otherwise, but the regular occurrences of dropped frames were distracting. As for our system, we're running 32-bit Vista on a rig with an Intel Core 2 Quad CPU 2.40GHz, a 768 MB GeForce 8800 GTX, and 2 GB of high-end RAM. Granted, that's not exactly the best kind of rig to determine a game's performance, but that's all we've tried it on so far.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/832/832195p1.html

Xbox Live has no ****ing place on PC. This experiment better fail.

Ninjaman09
11-02-07, 03:14 PM
Can't say I'm terribly surprised. I had no intention of buying this anyway (already have the 360 version) but I was kinda hoping the transition to PC would be a smooth one. Still, I'd reserve judgment until more reviews pop up.

six_storm
11-02-07, 03:16 PM
Gears is such a good game. Hopefully the whole Live Account doesn't screw things over for it. XBOX Live on the PC FTL.

nekrosoft13
11-02-07, 03:18 PM
MS is after this Live on GoW push. MS wants live on PC to spread so they can charge more money. Since first two games with Live failed rather miserably. Now they have to ruine GoW.

Epic didn't wanted in GoW, just like they didn't want Live in UT3. But unfortunately in GoW they had no choice.

nekrosoft13
11-02-07, 03:19 PM
Gears is such a good game. Hopefully the whole Live Account doesn't screw things over for it. XBOX Live on the PC FTL.

i really hope it does, because if it doesn't, more and more games will have live on PC.

And that will not end up well.

RAY16
11-02-07, 03:36 PM
There's a bit of misinformation in that preview, if it wasn't a result of an ignorant previewer, then it was a result of poor wording.

Whatever the reason, "...but a Gold subscription allows you to play List Play, Ranked, and Player Matches. Have Single player and Multiplayer Achievements" makes it sound like you have to pay for a Gold account to be able to do anything other than play Single Player. That's not true.

Only multiplayer achievements are restricted to Gold accounts, afaik. Silver accounts should still be able to get single player achievements.

And from everything that I've read (including a statement from Epic quoted below) says that only ranked games, matchmaking, and certain friends list features are restricted to Gold users.

I don't approve of the restrictions MS has on GFW Live, but it still annoys me that there's so much FUD surrounding it. MS is really doing an awesome job at making account restrictions clear. :rolleyes:

As I have said repeatedly, you can play online as Silver. You can play coop as Silver. You can host a coop match via List Play as a Silver account. You can host any of the versus modes (Annex, Warzone, etc.) as a Silver account via List Play. You can join any online game type via List Play.

I think this covers it.

http://forums.epicgames.com/showpost.php?p=25070551&postcount=44

*Edit*

And for those of you who are unaware:

Silver = Free Account

Gold = $50 per year

grey_1
11-02-07, 03:36 PM
Coop through live only? They can byte my arse.

EDIT: Posted at the same time as Ray16..is "silver" account free? If not they can still bite me.

RAY16
11-02-07, 03:39 PM
Coop through live only? They can byte my arse.

EDIT: Posted at the same time as Ray16..is "silver" account free? If not they can still bite me.

Yes, Silver is free. Gold is $50 per year.

grey_1
11-02-07, 03:42 PM
Yes, Silver is free. Gold is $50 per year.
Thanks, I wouldn't be so negative about it if I didn't have so much trouble with my Halo2 live.

LORD-eX-Bu
11-02-07, 04:05 PM
forget GoW, I'll hold off for Crysis and completely avoid Live :lol:

ASUSEN7900GTX
11-02-07, 04:08 PM
so what one canīt play GOW without LIVe? since when?

muaddib
11-02-07, 04:11 PM
I hate Live... and I am not particularly fond of Microsoft either. Too bad.

blizzle
11-02-07, 04:13 PM
So you need a gold account to play Coop over your own lan? Or is it just gold to play Coop over the inet?

Edit:NVM, I read RAYS16's post again..

Logical
11-02-07, 04:18 PM
I aint paying anything to play GOW....not when unreal 3 is just around the corner.

nutcrackr
11-02-07, 04:25 PM
Well if you can play coop and most of the other stuff as silver then I don't relaly care, matchmaking, achievements and the other stuff means zip to me.

jcossin
11-02-07, 04:25 PM
PC Multiplayer is NOT about paying fees! Reject this ridiculous attempt to hijack free multiplayer on the PC! Between this and Hellgate London these companies are pissing me off... :thumbdwn:

gulizard
11-02-07, 04:34 PM
Well if it has fees I won't be buying it, sorry but if I pay 49.99 for a game I expect to get the full game, not have to pay to play whats already there... That is the dumbest ****ing thing I've seen... Epic should be ashamed of itself - I hope that its just achievements or something, and nothing gameplay wise missing for silver.

I agree though I paid 59.99 for this game on Xbox 360, and am not about to renew my Xbox 360 subscription to play a damn PC game... Epic is truly letting me down.

ASUSEN7900GTX
11-02-07, 04:40 PM
well i ainīt that much for MP anyways so i am pleased if a game has a single player option well i ainīt gonna pay for playing online either and if so iīll play QW or so

agentkay
11-02-07, 04:45 PM
:maxshoot: LFW (gold):rw:

3DBrad
11-02-07, 05:17 PM
Singleplayer is fine with computers.

Playing co-op is annoying, because when your friend gets shot and is down, you have to run all the way over to them in a few seconds to keep playing, else you lose.

In singleplayer with just the CPU, it doesn't really matter. ;)

SeriTonin
11-02-07, 06:38 PM
I was really looking forward to this game. ESPECIALLY for it's MP. I didn't know about the bs mslive :thumbdwn:

AND reading of it's questionable performance really :thumbdwn:

Hopefully the performance is a vista thing and xp runs better.

If the SP runs like ass and the MP costs money, I went from wanting this game, to having absolutely no reason to get it. Blah.

Here's to hoping UT3 make's it all better. :D

MaXThReAT
11-02-07, 06:41 PM
I'm still on the fence about this. I already know I will never play the MP side of this game, ever. I, as myself, a single person wants to send a message to MS/Epic that Live for PC is total crap. It's almost like paying to view each page of a website, before you know it we'll be paying to fly in special areas of FSX. What I'm on the fence about is if I will even pay for the SP. How else can I, just me, send a clear message, don't buy it. Well that’s fine but with such a lack of really good games there really is no way I'm not playing it...so (lee63) I don't like saying that in public but it's my bottom line. I'm sure it's worth the money and it's not but drop in the bucket with my income, its just the only way.

XxDeadlyxX
11-02-07, 06:42 PM
Is there any way to upgrade to Gold if you don't have an Xbox? I sold mine and my yearly subscription has run out... any way to enter the code in on PC?

EDIT: Found it on Xbox.com in my profile.

SH64
11-02-07, 06:42 PM
Hmm wtf ? stuttring & slowdows ! NO please not HL2/Vegas drama again!!

SeriTonin
11-02-07, 06:53 PM
Hmm wtf ? stuttring & slowdows ! NO please not HL2/Vegas drama again!!

:thumbdwn: