PDA

View Full Version : Motion Blur in games , Do you like it or not ?

Pages : [1] 2

SH64
11-03-07, 01:02 AM
Derived from the Post Processing thread & other threads where people either praise MB or disapprove it for several reasons like those who get motion sickness or those who think its a low framerate coverup or just bluntly "dont like it" , here comes this simple poll.

Personally i like it so much & i think every game should implement it unless the game/gameplay style dosent allow its usage.
also i think it adds to the realism as our eyes do precieve it with fast movements , so i'm not liking it just because its a "neat feature" .. there is certainly more to it.

$n][pErMan
11-03-07, 01:06 AM
Depends on the game... IMO it can be over used or used to much. A little blur on FPS is ok (I think in crysis its a little too extreme for just simple turning of the head or running movements, needs toned down some). Motion blur in racing games is sweet though and adds to the fun :)

Drax
11-03-07, 01:27 AM
Half-Life 2: Episode 2 did it perfectly IMO. Very subtle, but definitely there.

I agree, Cyrsis is a bit much. Might look better with fluid frame rates, but I wont be seeing that for a while.

SH64
11-03-07, 01:33 AM
Half-Life 2: Episode 2 did it perfectly IMO. Very subtle, but definitely there.

I agree, Cyrsis is a bit much. Might look better with fluid frame rates, but I wont be seeing that for a while.
Agreed HL2:Ep2 & Jericho are making a nice subtle use of it.
though i still like the way Crysis & Lost Planet uses it esp with the object-based MB even for being overdone which is something i admit.

LycosV
11-03-07, 01:36 AM
I voted no as I assumed you meant motion blur from camera changes, ie turning head in FPS or swerving a car in a racing game. I like object based motion blur in games, like if a car flys past me, etc.

SH64
11-03-07, 01:37 AM
I voted no as I assumed you meant motion blur from camera changes, ie turning head in FPS or swerving a car in a racing game. I like object based motion blur in games, like if a car flys past me, etc.
In that case you should've gone for "Maybe".
i'm talking about the usage of motion blur & its derivatives in general.

methimpikehoses
11-03-07, 01:39 AM
Everything in moderation.

LT.Schaffer
11-03-07, 01:43 AM
Everything in moderation.

I Agree.

nutcrackr
11-03-07, 01:57 AM
Not really no, if its mild then maybe. I don't think crysis overdid the motion blur, its pretty clean, but I prefer it off. However i didn't check if you can turn it down.

hmm r_MotionBlurFrameTimeScale
r_MotionBlurShutterSpeed

r_MotionBlurShutterSpeed controls the amount 0.015 is default 0.005 seems pretty good

huzdi
11-03-07, 02:17 AM
Worst motion blur I have ever seen in a game was medal of honor airborne, was way too much. Crysis and hl2:ep2 are allot more subtle.

K007
11-03-07, 02:28 AM
Worst motion blur I have ever seen in a game was medal of honor airborne, was way too much. Crysis and hl2:ep2 are allot more subtle.

agreed

Nkd
11-03-07, 04:35 AM
I am not a big fan, but depends on how its done, if it gives me motion sickness I dont like it, lol. otherwise I am cool, and also if it causes a big performance hit I dont want it as it has nothing to do with overall image quality.

for example, lost planet extreme condition for me is 10fps faster with motion blur off, lol. I turn it off I get average of 58, and with it on I get about 48.

Lfctony
11-03-07, 04:37 AM
I like it. Can't live without it in Crysis, and also prefer it in Hellgate London.

crainger
11-03-07, 04:41 AM
I like it. Can also be used to mask low FPS in order to get great graphics on lower hardware. You know, work with what you have instead of developing for hardware that doesn't and perhaps will never exist :rolleyes:

ASUSEN7900GTX
11-03-07, 04:44 AM
i voted no as i find it hard to see the enemy in some games where motion blur is applied whn hit by enemy fire i canīt see the shooter thus i die and that annoys me but a little MB when running and so is ok but sometimes it is only annoying

that is why i voted no

Ywap
11-03-07, 06:17 AM
I hate motion blur. Itīs the first thing i turn off when i start a game.

GitDat
11-03-07, 07:48 AM
It's perfect in TF2.

Gaco
11-03-07, 09:00 AM
Crysis has overdone it a bit, but I like it.

Eliminator
11-03-07, 09:22 AM
no way... the ghosting from my LCD is my motion blur ;)

Mr. Hunt
11-03-07, 09:23 AM
Doesn't matter to me... I can take it or leave it... I do enjoy it in Portal though when you are flying down a long set of portals.

GitDat
11-03-07, 09:45 AM
no way... the ghosting from my LCD is my motion blur ;)

That's why I've got the 24" CRT ball buster :D

BioHazZarD
11-03-07, 10:11 AM
Dont like it, at least not in crysis its way overdone.

FearMeAll
11-03-07, 10:26 AM
object motion blur is more important to me..I love lots of that..I just hope directx10 crysis gets fixed good so I can use it.

Capt. Picard
11-03-07, 10:53 AM
I liked the motion blur in GTA SA. It wasn't overdone and added a nice touch of the sense of speed to the game. This is ofcourse as is used in a car simulator.

Buio
11-03-07, 11:04 AM
I don't like it. But maybe games are now down to the same fps as movies, so they have to use motion blur to lessen the effect of low framerate during panning.

If its in a game, it should be optional so you can turn it off when you get enough framerate to live without it.