PDA

View Full Version : 8800 GT Beeps?

ATOJAR
11-03-07, 01:23 PM
So ive had my 8800 GT 512MB in for 2 days, all running fine.

I decided to try some overclocks with RivaTuner & stress test with ATItool, got the overclocks rock stable(see sig) ...... i decided to try a higher memory overclock, i tried 1050(2.1GHz) ..... while stress testing with ATItool my system did a unexpected shut down! .... when it tried to reeboot i though thats not right, the card was really loud i figured out it was the fan, it sounds like it spinning at 100% .... it does this for around 2-3 seconds and the monitor stays in standby mode, then "wham" the cards fan slows down to normal and the system boots ... take in mind that this all happenes even before the bios\post screen even appears.

I turned the whole system back to stock speeds(no overclocks ect)

I though right ill try running 3DMark06, i ran it passed the first two tests ok, passes the two cpu test ok, when it came to loading the test with the airboat and dragon thing my system just shut down! .... i tried to reeboot and now all i get is the cards fan spinning at what sounds like 100% and i also get three beeps ... no boot, monitor stays in stanby mode and i noticed the light on my monitor flashes from amber to green, i tried my old 8800GTS 640MB in and the system is fine!

What do you reckon? .. what do the four beeps mean? ... its like (first beep lasts maby 2 seconds, the last three are just 1 second beeps)beeeeep beep beep beep!

I know i didnt fry the card becasue it was only showing around 66c when it shut down! ... it idles at 46c - 48c ... with the fan speed at 60% and a dual fan card below to blow cool air over it.

ATOJAR
11-03-07, 03:29 PM
anybody?

VoodooNinja
11-03-07, 03:39 PM
Well, if your motherboard is using an Award BIOS, then the following applies:

1long, 3short = No video card or bad video RAM Reseat or replace the video card

Also, you can damage things when overclocking regardless of the low temps you reported.

ATOJAR
11-03-07, 04:15 PM
Ive set up a RMA ..... only problem is they have no more in stock! :thumbdwn:

Solidus J2K
11-03-07, 04:32 PM
I had the same problem or bug one month ago, i was OC my GTS a bit (620/1512/1030), and sometime when i reboot I listened 1 long beep and 3 short beeps (no video found or bad RAM problem) .. Well I decided no more OC using ATI TOOL to stress the card, and until now I have not problems because i only OC the shader clock when i'm playing a game using Rivaturner to set it (576/1512OC/900).

BTW to fix no video after beeps i shutdown the PC, open the case and move the card pushing back, after that the system started fine.

ATOJAR
11-03-07, 04:36 PM
open the case and move the card pushing back, after that the system started fine.

Sorry i dont understand this part, could you explain again please so i can try it?

Thanks.

Solidus J2K
11-03-07, 04:44 PM
I found a tip to solve that problem (very simple). After appeared that problem I turned off my PC and remove the card from his slot.

After this, I placed the card again in the PCI-E slot, turned ON the PC and voala!!! works (when you turn on your Pc without a videocard you will listen the same beep code). I had this problem only 3 times, and the 3 times used the same tip and worked fine. After remove any kind of OC via SW the problem disappeared. :D

cefurkan
11-03-07, 06:53 PM
i think it is about ur motherboard

i oced and tested my 8800gts over maybe 100 times

and i did this extremly with stok cooling

675/1728/1107 i completed benchmark on 3d mark 2006

but i never had a problem like this

ga ds3p rev 3.3

Solidus J2K
11-03-07, 07:24 PM
it can be possible, both have the same motherboard :captnkill:

anthonyl
11-03-07, 08:23 PM
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1031607668&postcount=13

2000MHz memory OC is easy with this card BUT the overclock won't hold long term.

The memory is actually 2GHz, but the interface can't handle the speed for long periods. This has been tested by Nvidia, their OEM's and some partners over several weeks. The card will run like a bat out of hell for a while and then suffers irrepairable damage.

Just look at XFX. These guys overclock anything regardless of yield (I guess they don't take the overhead of support into account when they sell stuff) and they're only at 1950MHz on their highest OC card (Alpha Dog).

I would only crank the memory up to 2GHz plus to get a killer benchmark and then crank it back down to 1900~1950MHz for day to day use.

K-1
11-03-07, 08:30 PM

2000MHz memory OC is easy with this card BUT the overclock won't hold long term.

The memory is actually 2GHz, but the interface can't handle the speed for long periods. This has been tested by Nvidia, their OEM's and some partners over several weeks. The card will run like a bat out of hell for a while and then suffers irrepairable damage.

Just look at XFX. These guys overclock anything regardless of yield (I guess they don't take the overhead of support into account when they sell stuff) and they're only at 1950MHz on their highest OC card (Alpha Dog).

I would only crank the memory up to 2GHz plus to get a killer benchmark and then crank it back down to 1900~1950MHz for day to day use.

People definitely need to pay attention to that post, jonnyGURU knows his stuff, so I would take his advice.

Luchou
11-03-07, 08:43 PM

are you talking about all the 8800 series or only about 8800GT?

anthonyl
11-03-07, 08:44 PM
Im thinking its pertaining to the GT.

Luchou
11-03-07, 08:53 PM
I think more than 1000 for memory is overkill, 1100 is a no go, I can get 1050 but I get random artifacts with ATI Tool scanner, at 1000 works perfect (no artifacts), looks like the sweet spot. Dont know about the 8800GT though...

mythy
11-03-07, 09:12 PM
why on earth would you push the video ram?!?! Its the easiest thing in the world to kill :(

SlieTheSecond
11-03-07, 10:52 PM
why on earth would you push the video ram?!?! Its the easiest thing in the world to kill :(

Better performance?
Same reason you push the gpu/shaders cpu/ram?

Solidus J2K
11-03-07, 11:15 PM
BTW i had the same problem today without OC the videocard, i think that the problem is the PCI-E slot, today by example, i remove the card, clean the pins, put again in his slot, turn on my PC, and nothing, black screen, no post, no beeps, nothing. Restart. 1 long beep 3 shorts. But the system still working, seems like the system can't detect a videocard in the PCI-E slot. Shut down. Worksss!!, work fine, not beeps, not black screen, nothing.

Before to do all this i've freezes when i was in windows, starting windows, making a memory checking, etc..

mythy
11-03-07, 11:20 PM
Better performance?
Same reason you push the gpu/shaders cpu/ram?

there are things you push and then there are things you don't.. the onboard ram is one of them!

shrapnel
11-04-07, 01:30 AM
I know i didnt fry the card becasue it was only showing around 66c when it shut down! ... it idles at 46c - 48c ... with the fan speed at 60% and a dual fan card below to blow cool air over it.
Oh yes, you have !!
As someone said earlier, just because your card runs cool now, doesn't mean it isn't fried...... its just a COOL, FRIED Card:D
Thats why I stay away from Factory Oced Cards ( had a bad experience with a Factory OCed XFX 7900 GTX card, so I know what I'm talking about).
There could be a PSU factor also involved..... your PSU is good, but perhaps not good enough to handle extreme OCing, which draws a lot of power, even though the 8800 GT is supposed to draw less power than other cards.
I always try to get a PSU which exceeds the supposed power requirements...... 800 to 1200 W is standard nowadays I think.
If not the PSU, its the Card itself...... I'm very conservative nowadays about OCing my 8800 GTX....... better safe than sorry I think;)

ATOJAR
11-04-07, 04:10 AM
I very much dought its the PSU, my 8800GTS 640MB ran fine & wihout issues & these new GT's use less power than a GTS!! .... im almost 100% sure i have fryed the card! .... ill try a different motherboard just to be 100% sure ..... i just reckon i have killed the card!:( ......

One thing i did notice, when the power lead is plugged in and the card is in the PCI-E slot the card sounds like the fan is spinning at 100% .... i removed the card from the PCI-E slot but left the power cord in and the card sounded fine! ... what you reckon?

Luchou
11-04-07, 09:52 AM
I don't understand how can you fry your card by overclocking from 950 to 1050, are the 8800GTs so ****ing sensitive?

shrapnel
11-04-07, 11:52 AM
I very much dought its the PSU, my 8800GTS 640MB ran fine & wihout issues & these new GT's use less power than a GTS!!
In theory, yes, but I read somewhere on the Web that they draw a helluva lot of more power and produce a lot of heat when you OC them .
The heat is NOT vented outside the Case as in the case of dual-slot Cards, remember that.

Luchou
11-04-07, 01:41 PM
In theory, yes, but I read somewhere on the Web that they draw a helluva lot of more power and produce a lot of heat when you OC them .
The heat is NOT vented outside the Case as in the case of dual-slot Cards, remember that.

Very good point shrapnel