PDA

View Full Version : XFX 8800 Ultra Extreme Edition Temp & PSU Question

fearz
11-03-07, 06:10 PM
Hi everyone,

I just bought this monster card, I run it on Vista 64 with 163.69 drivers.

I managed to check the GPU temp from Everest Ultimate, and If I leave the PC open and sleep its between 67-69 C (I think thats the idle time) - If i'm normally using the PC (browsing, playing music, etc) its between 72-73 C, If i'm gaming its between 76-84 MAX <- Are these normal temps?

Also, I'm running an Acefinder GAMMA 580W PSU <- Will that do the job? or it might cause damages?

Thanks for your time...

DaFoo
11-03-07, 06:36 PM
Hey I just found this from a European web site, so I thought I'd share. Not sure if it's true or not:

Overheating 8800GT only for press

Many people to afraid of GF8800`s cooler. Many websites written about very high core temperatures during 3D work. NVIDIA told, this is problem with electronics. Chip which manage fan speed, doesn`t detect GPU temp. correctly, so fan could not turn faster.
Final products for clients will are fine.

http://www.geforce9.com/

Eliminator
11-03-07, 06:38 PM
Hi everyone,

I just bought this monster card, I run it on Vista 64 with 163.69 drivers.

I managed to check the GPU temp from Everest Ultimate, and If I leave the PC open and sleep its between 67-69 C (I think thats the idle time) - If i'm normally using the PC (browsing, playing music, etc) its between 72-73 C, If i'm gaming its between 76-84 MAX <- Are these normal temps?

Also, I'm running an Acefinder GAMMA 580W PSU <- Will that do the job? or it might cause damages?

Thanks for your time...
yea that is normal although the idle sounds a bit high... the coolers for the 8800GTX/Ultra cards are very bad... though the ultra cooler is better than the GTX cooler.... also make sure to get the latest drivers 169.04

Libertysyclone
11-03-07, 06:44 PM
Also get RivaTuner and turn up your fan speed on that card above the stock 60%

fearz
11-03-07, 07:14 PM
yea that is normal although the idle sounds a bit high... the coolers for the 8800GTX/Ultra cards are very bad... though the ultra cooler is better than the GTX cooler.... also make sure to get the latest drivers 169.04

I go to nvidia, check the Vista 64 drivers, I find the latest 163.69

So what to do about the idle temps?

fearz
11-03-07, 07:18 PM
Also get RivaTuner and turn up your fan speed on that card above the stock 60%

Is that safe ?

Slammin
11-03-07, 07:22 PM
:) Hey I just found this from a European web site, so I thought I'd share. Not sure if it's true or not:

Overheating 8800GT only for press

Many people to afraid of GF8800`s cooler. Many websites written about very high core temperatures during 3D work. NVIDIA told, this is problem with electronics. Chip which manage fan speed, doesn`t detect GPU temp. correctly, so fan could not turn faster.
Final products for clients will are fine.

http://www.geforce9.com/

You are very misinformed.

Why bother to even reply when you are so misinformed?

"NVIDIA told, this is problem with electronics."

Huh? They did? Think about that for a second.

"Chip which manage fan speed, doesn`t detect GPU temp. "

You are kidding, right? Where did you learn this? So many third party apps can detect GPU temp and even control fan speed yet the hardware developer cant? Again, why post this crap?

Don't post crap.

DPC

New acronymn

LORD-eX-Bu
11-03-07, 07:24 PM
yes.

Blacklash
11-03-07, 07:27 PM
Try 169.04. They help with Crysis and Timeshift-

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x64_169.04.html

DaFoo
11-03-07, 07:29 PM
:)

You are very misinformed.

Why bother to even reply when you are so misinformed?

"NVIDIA told, this is problem with electronics."

Huh? They did? Think about that for a second.

"Chip which manage fan speed, doesn`t detect GPU temp. "

You are kidding, right? Where did you learn this? So many third party apps can detect GPU temp and even control fan speed yet the hardware developer cant? Again, why post this crap?

Don't post crap.

DPC

New acronymn

LOL, hey there SlapStick, it was a quote from a web site, I hate little beebops, if you don't like it don't read it. I didn't say it was true, or can't you read sherlock?

:spank:

DHP
11-03-07, 07:30 PM
My XFX Ultra Extreme is idling @ 55C, 65C @ GPU diode says Everest.

Slammin
11-03-07, 07:31 PM
Is that safe ?

Your temps are fine.

Both idle, and especially, load.

In the summer, I idle at 60-68c, load around 75-80c.

When its really cool in here, I idle 55-60c and load at 70-80cc.

Your card is well within spec, and further, has a very low temperture delta ( lowest temp-to highest temp swing) which suggest not only are your cards cooling themselves properly, but that you also have great case airflow.

You're all good man.

Slammin
11-03-07, 07:36 PM
LOL, hey there SlapStick, it was a quote from a web site, I hate little beebops, if you don't like it don't read it. I didn't say it was true, or can't you read sherlock?

:spank:

Well, why dig up crap, post it here as a solution for someone looking for help if you are not wanting to stand behind it, SlapStick (or whatever that is supposed to mean).?

Don't like it, don't read it. Heh.. Not sure where that came from.

Whatever..

You sound like you are an attention needing kid. Go grab a nipple.

fearz
11-03-07, 07:40 PM
My XFX Ultra Extreme is idling @ 55C, 65C @ GPU diode says Everest.

Man..How do you get these temps?

And does this means that my card is on fire? comparing with yours...

What cooling system you using? liquid cooling system?

Explain in details..

DHP
11-03-07, 07:54 PM
Diode says 65 idle, so its the same as yours... :rolleyes: Thats pretty warm i guess... (I just got this Ultra today... I sold my GTX XXX)

Does your Ultra switch to 2D clocks in 2D btw?

I overclocked mine a bit. See sig.

I have 4 80mm casefans, and 3 120mm fans in my case so I guess that 65C is normal. :cool:

Edit; load temp is 84C, so its OK I guess... (Running ATitool now)

fearz
11-03-07, 07:58 PM
Diode says 65 idle, so its the same as yours... :rolleyes: Thats pretty warm i guess... (I just got this Ultra today... I sold my GTX XXX)

Does your Ultra switch to 2D clocks in 2D btw?

I overclocked mine a bit. See sig.

I have 4 80mm casefans, and 3 120mm fans in my case so I guess that 65C is normal. :cool:

How come 65 idle diode is the same as mine?

I don't know what you mean by the 2d clock thing