PDA

View Full Version : How fast is your GT?

ryan29121
11-04-07, 08:17 AM
Im going to be building a new computer in about a month and im getting the 8800gt for it. I was just wondering how fast everybody has gotten their card up to. I see that EVGA is selling versions that are much higher clocked than normal. For example, their superclocked, KO, and SSC version in that order. Their SSC is clocked at 700/2000 which seems very high to me. Do you think its worth it to pay the extra $20 for the higher clocked versions. It might be a better not to overclock it myself for the sake of voiding that nice EVGA lifetime warranty. What is your opinion?

I apologize if this thread has posted already. I know there is a lot of GT threads.

Moo
11-04-07, 08:36 AM
I wonder if the eVGA 8800GT cards are all the same (meaning same exact components) and are just clocked higher for the more expensive ones...

If they're made of the exact same parts, what's the QA process for determining whether a card is suitable to be sold as KO or SSC?

Or do they have different bios? :o

Maverickman
11-04-07, 08:47 AM
eVGA has the "Superclocked" cards. They already have one out for the 8800 GT. Looks like the old 8800 GTS 320MB and 640MB is over and done. Until the new 8800 GTS hits, those cards are reserved for the dust bin.

Daneel Olivaw
11-04-07, 08:51 AM
Im going to be building a new computer in about a month and im getting the 8800gt for it. I was just wondering how fast everybody has gotten their card up to. I see that EVGA is selling versions that are much higher clocked than normal. For example, their superclocked, KO, and SSC version in that order. Their SSC is clocked at 700/2000 which seems very high to me. Do you think its worth it to pay the extra $20 for the higher clocked versions. It might be a better not to overclock it myself for the sake of voiding that nice EVGA lifetime warranty. What is your opinion?

I apologize if this thread has posted already. I know there is a lot of GT threads.
A stock XFX at 600/1800 can do SSC speeds easily. And SSC don't overclock much more. Not worth 20 bucks for a negligible difference.

avirox
11-04-07, 09:00 AM
I bought the SC version which is clocked at 650/1900; Should be able to do SSC speeds pretty darn stable, as the fan speed can be tweaked mightily (just depends how much noise you can bear hearing).

mythy
11-04-07, 11:05 AM
EVGA does thermal load tests on all of its KO and SSC cards to insure stable clocks with stock fan speed.

Some chips have higher thermal limits then others and naturally run cooler.

Daneel Olivaw
11-04-07, 07:51 PM
Anyone done some quick math and figured that a GT at 700/1750/2000 is equal in shader power to an Ultra and equal to a GS in memory bandwidth?

Seems like a good deal for 250 bucks.

stevemedes
11-04-07, 07:53 PM
I think the point of the factory overclocked versions are that the overclocked speeds are guaranteed for life with eVGA. :)

ryan29121
11-04-07, 10:37 PM
The GPU companies say that overclocking voids the warranty. How can they tell if the card was overclocked? To overclock the GPU isnt it all software based?