PDA

View Full Version : Nvlddmkm errors ... I think they have different sources.

Danielsan
11-04-07, 10:04 AM
I have never had such an error untill 3 days ago when I tried the DX10 version of Hellgate Londonīs demo, then WoW inhereted the error and started producing it too. I rebooted with no effect, actually I had to unplug the powerchord for 30 secs after which the error was gone. Have played untill today with no problems, I decided to give the Hellgate London game another shot .. and voila .. the error was back.

Just for the kicks I gave WoW a shot and it started giving me errors as well, I once again removed the powerchord and things seem to be back to normal.

My neighbour however has had this error far more frequently, his system seems pretty identical to mine and we both have all the MS patches including latest drivers, dx10 etc. installed.

So, my best estimate is that some people will hardly ever see this error, while others fight with it frequently and the probably most annoying aspect is that no solution will be found within the nearest future if the error is caused by certain random call procedures. To identify the faulty call procedures responsible for the error would take a long long time, especially if they come from various firewalls, antiviruses, antispyware or any other background software running.

Motherboards which have a steady supply of power to USB and PCI devices regardless of whether the PC is shut down, mine always supplies the USB/PCI devices with power and there is no way to turn it off. If a wrong call procedure somehow destabilises the power to the various circuits one could continuously get the error untill the power is fully unplugged and depending on motherboard a bios reset could perhaps be the only viable solution.

In my case Hellgate London may not actually be the culprit, it could be the interaction between certain peripheral devices and/or software running in the background which cause the application to behave abnormally.

I am not an expert but I have looked at over 50 pcīs with this very issue and I am quite convinced that the 8800s have an error which is small in nature and will only surface under certain circumstances. I have also met quite a few people who never had the error, blamed others for bad handling of their PC .. and all of a sudden they were fighting the Nvlddmkm problem themselves.

Well, there is already another thread but I chose to make mine .. if that offends anyone sorry, but its one of the few priveligies a guy has on the internet now adays :) .... sue me.

$n][pErMan
11-04-07, 01:18 PM
I got the error for the very first time in about 6 months in WiC the other day. I then got it yesterday in WiC again. Very annoying and is starting to piss me off. It could also be driver related. I never got it in WiC till I started to use the 163.75 driver set (and I have been playing this game sense it came out).

rHy0
11-04-07, 01:51 PM
Got a lot of these errors recently, leading to the Crysis demo crashing. Thought it was an unstable OC (had just set 700mhz core) so I clocked lower but I got another error and a crash again. Then they magically stopped!

I actually though my OC was unstable but now I understand different. Well I guess I will OC higher then! Some good news!

Lfctony
11-04-07, 04:58 PM
I only get it in DX10 myself. Others get it in every game they run. But if it doesn't happen in XP(meaning its not hardware failure of any kind), then it must be fixable. But, it's not Nvidia only. ATI users get it as well. So, who is to blame? Nvidia never had it before the 100.59s I think. That's when they added DX10 in the drivers I believe...

$n][pErMan
11-04-07, 05:56 PM
I had 5 in the last 2 days now in WiC (which is a DX10 game).... got so pissed off I uninstalled the 163.75 drivers and installed the new 169.04 betas and I was able to play 2 solid hours of WiC with no issues. I will report back if that continues or if it shows up in other games now...

LORD-eX-Bu
11-04-07, 06:22 PM
ever since I RMA'd my 8800 GTS 8 months ago I haven't seen the error.

Lfctony
11-04-07, 07:02 PM
ever since I RMA'd my 8800 GTS 8 months ago I haven't seen the error.

Consider yourself lucky then...

tb77
11-14-07, 07:56 PM
the only solution for me was: (had the error on 2 systems, athlon x2 4800 and q6600) try ntune and reduce you video card clocks (memory and gpu) - i had a bfg 8800 gtx oc2. now it runs at 600/1400/900 instead of 626/1400/1000. so it simply was an overheating issue! try crysis gpu benchmark for an hour or 3dmark06 for 8 hours.

Thomas

disaacks
11-19-07, 08:47 AM
I get them in Hellgate London as well. It only happens after I have been playing for about 2 hours.

Once the game crashes, I get them when I try to do anything. (Look at the event logs, check system properties, etc)

Once I reboot, I am fine.

I dont see the issue in Crysis, EVE, or COD 4.

These are the current games I play.

I am using 169.04.