PDA

View Full Version : Crysis Framerate Benches with 2gb vs 4gb ram?

Pages : [1] 2

Riplayne
11-04-07, 11:43 AM
Anyone know of any?

SH64
11-04-07, 06:13 PM
I would like to see some aswell.
this had to be done on just Vista 64 thuogh since there's a performance difference between x86 & x64 as it is.

jAkUp
11-04-07, 06:48 PM
I don't think you will see an actual FPS difference, the game will just play much smoother and hitch less, I noticed this when I went from 2GB to 4GB.

SH64
11-04-07, 07:07 PM
I don't think you will see an actual FPS difference, the game will just play much smoother and hitch less, I noticed this when I went from 2GB to 4GB.
Less hitiching will generally translate to a little better framerates in either of the CPU/GPU benchmarks. i wanna see that & make sure there is a difference.

Viral
11-04-07, 09:09 PM
Traditionally it never seems to translate into an FPS difference until you hit other limitations. But it's worth a try.

crainger
11-04-07, 09:20 PM
I just came from 2gb and I didn't notice an increase in performance, but load times in all my currently installed game halved roughly. I also noticed exiting games is lightning quick now, before the Vista would come to a halt exiting The Witcher for 30secs, now it's out done and dusted in a split second. :D

SH64
11-04-07, 09:41 PM
I just came from 2gb and I didn't notice an increase in performance, but load times in all my currently installed game halved roughly. I also noticed exiting games is lightning quick now, before the Vista would come to a halt exiting The Witcher for 30secs, now it's out done and dusted in a split second. :D
Do you get less stuttering when playing Crysis say at high or v.high ? esp with grenade explosions or when entering different areas ..

crainger
11-04-07, 09:46 PM
Yeah, definitely less stutter, especially removed the stutter before I detonate a High Explosive.

SH64
11-04-07, 09:51 PM
Yeah, definitely less stutter, especially removed the stutter before I detonate a High Explosive.
Amazing! yeah i get that stutter before deteonating HG's more than often.
i might seriously consider upgrading my RAM even if XP/Vista 32-bit will not read them all.

crainger
11-04-07, 09:59 PM
It's worth it. Vista on a whole feels a lot more responsive with 4.

AthlonXP1800
11-05-07, 03:27 AM
Hmmm I never experienced shuttering with 3GB in Crysis at very high settings when here was explosions and in heavy firefights.

CaptNKILL
11-05-07, 03:56 AM
Traditionally it never seems to translate into an FPS difference until you hit other limitations. But it's worth a try.
Yeah.

Think of it in terms of average FPS.

If the benchmark records 30-40fps 10 times per second for a few minutes then averages the results together, a few drops to 1-5 fps (a hitch\stutter) will hardly make any difference in the final average but will be very obvious in gameplay.

About the only way to show the results of a memory upgrade would probably be a line graph like [H] uses, to show the framerate throughout the entire benchmark. Ideally, more memory would result in fewer low spikes on a graph.

Fraps can record data like that. It probably wouldn't be too hard to do.

[EOCF] Tim
11-05-07, 04:28 AM
Why all the talk and no benchies? Run the benchmark, Rip out two sticks, run the benchmarks again, and take a note of loading times. Done. :)

I can't do it right now, because I only have 2Gb.

Crow_Nest
11-05-07, 06:13 AM
I just upgraded to 3GBs of RAM today, upgraded from 1GB. And i didnt notice any difference in framerate. But the loading times are slightly faster, and there is a lot less stuttering in the game. Which feels almost like a dream come true.

Armed_Baboon
11-05-07, 06:42 AM
If your motherboard supports memory hole remapping, you can have all 4GB of ram with a 32bit OS. google it.

Darkoz
11-05-07, 07:01 AM
If your motherboard supports memory hole remapping, you can have all 4GB of ram with a 32bit OS. google it.

It's a 32bit operating system limitation not a hardware one, a 32bit Os will not utilize all 4GB of RAM.

[EOCF] Tim
11-05-07, 08:34 AM
It's a 32bit operating system limitation not a hardware one, a 32bit Os will not utilize all 4GB of RAM.

Precisely, you cannot have the full 4Gb in any 32bit OS environment, maybe it will show up in Computer properties or whatever, but it can't use the full 4Gig. :)

Gaco
11-05-07, 11:16 AM
I'm thinking about upgrading from 2gb to 4gb very soon. I'll run a bench with FRAPS enabled if I do :)

FastRedPonyCar
11-05-07, 01:14 PM
Video Ram > System Ram

fps_dean
04-27-08, 01:25 AM
Yeah.

Think of it in terms of average FPS.

If the benchmark records 30-40fps 10 times per second for a few minutes then averages the results together, a few drops to 1-5 fps (a hitch\stutter) will hardly make any difference in the final average but will be very obvious in gameplay.

About the only way to show the results of a memory upgrade would probably be a line graph like [H] uses, to show the framerate throughout the entire benchmark. Ideally, more memory would result in fewer low spikes on a graph.

Fraps can record data like that. It probably wouldn't be too hard to do.

I'm trying to find more info on 2gb vs 4gb. What I've actually been finding is that 4gb performance is almost all in people's head, but still not done researching yet...

4gb RAM is much harder to overclock and you can get RAM at higher speeds and lower latency in a 2x1 configuration than 2x2. Check this (http://www.warp2search.net/contentteller/news_story/ocz_ddr3_12800_platinum_vs_patriot_ddr3_1500_viper .html) out which places a 2gb of faster RAM vs 4gb of slightly slower RAM. Even without overclocking, 4gb gets a slightly better max framerate which results in a slightly higher average, but 2gb of faster RAM provides a marginally higher mininmum which will translate to less choppy gameplay which you will notice more than the extra .5 average fps.

AngelGraves13
04-27-08, 04:43 PM
If you really wanna be brave.

8 GB RAM and tun off the paging file. Big difference. x64 only of course. Less writing and reading to the drive without the paging file.

ASUSEN7900GTX
04-27-08, 06:47 PM
isnīt turning off the paging file like sending vista to oblivion i mean does it work properly afther that and how to tunr it off?

grey_1
04-27-08, 10:00 PM
If you really wanna be brave.

8 GB RAM and tun off the paging file. Big difference. x64 only of course. Less writing and reading to the drive without the paging file.
I've heard it works well with 4Gb also, which I'll find out next week (x64).

AthlonXP1800
04-27-08, 11:39 PM
I'm trying to find more info on 2gb vs 4gb. What I've actually been finding is that 4gb performance is almost all in people's head, but still not done researching yet...

4gb RAM is much harder to overclock and you can get RAM at higher speeds and lower latency in a 2x1 configuration than 2x2. Check this (http://www.warp2search.net/contentteller/news_story/ocz_ddr3_12800_platinum_vs_patriot_ddr3_1500_viper .html) out which places a 2gb of faster RAM vs 4gb of slightly slower RAM. Even without overclocking, 4gb gets a slightly better max framerate which results in a slightly higher average, but 2gb of faster RAM provides a marginally higher mininmum which will translate to less choppy gameplay which you will notice more than the extra .5 average fps.

4GB RAM much harder to overclock? That a load of nonsense. My friend used 4GB 800MHz DDR2 OCZ Platinum, it very easy to overclock his Q6600 to 3.6GHz through Vista x64 with BIOS settings set to Auto.

ASUSEN7900GTX
04-28-08, 05:03 AM
is it safe to turn off the paging file in vista x64? or will i screw it all up?