PDA

View Full Version : 169.xx drivers cheat in crysis

Pages : [1] 2 3

m3dude
11-04-07, 11:01 AM
http://www.elitebastards.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=487&Itemid=29

conroejoe
11-04-07, 11:54 AM
Ugh... now Nvidia is trying to regain some of the lost performance that Vista brings by cheating? cmon already Nvidia you're bigger than that.. no matter what M$ offers...

"While renaming the Crysis single-player demo executable fixes the image quality issues with all of NVIDIA's ForceWare 169.0x drivers, it also reduces performance by around 7% on average."

[EOCF] Tim
11-04-07, 03:56 PM
lol, people are way to quick to call something a cheat that could actually very well be a driverbug with Beta drivers.

How many shader/shadow bugs did the 2900XT have? Actually performance that was increased because of that? Yet no one said/says cheat, but with nVidia, ATI fanboys immediatly do so.

Pathetic.

SH64
11-04-07, 09:02 PM
I noticed this bug & thought it has something to do with the game settings.
No need for nVIDIA to cheat when they already own the performance/IQ crown for around a year now.
think people THINK!

LORD-eX-Bu
11-04-07, 09:14 PM
umm... these are beta drivers, the difference isn't even 2 fps :rofl

m3dude
11-04-07, 10:01 PM
the fact that the game renders perfectly when u change the exe name makes it 100% a cheat. theres not even any room to debate it.

LORD-eX-Bu
11-04-07, 10:04 PM
it is a beta driver, could have rendering issues on top of other things, they could be trying different things out, hence the name "beta driver" :rofl

It would be suspicious in an official WHQL release, but there is no need for nvidia to "cheat" especially when ATI performance sucks.

some people need to start using their brains around here :lol:

Henno
11-04-07, 10:06 PM
the fact that the game renders perfectly when u change the exe name makes it 100% a cheat.

Doesn't have to be one persÚ. But yes, it's a little bit "suspicious". :D

jolle
11-04-07, 10:13 PM
the fact that the game renders perfectly when u change the exe name makes it 100% a cheat. theres not even any room to debate it.
Well, it means that it uses its own profile, like pretty much all other games.
THAT isnt the fishy part imo.

But updating the reflections less frequently doesnt really sound like something that would happen accidently, infact it doesnt sound like something a driver should cause at all, but I dunno.
Bit stupid if they did it on purpose, this sort stuff is ALWAYS found out..
As soon as you up performance by degrading visuals people WILL notice.

Bug or cheat, guess we wont really know, but they better fix it before the game hits the stores or it┤ll look bad on em either way.

m3dude
11-04-07, 10:56 PM
dont see why some of u guys have such allegiance to nvidia/ati. they are blatantly cheating here. just because u prefer their products doesnt mean u have to turn a blind eye to their blatant cheating. this is NO different than what they did back with the nv30.

LORD-eX-Bu
11-04-07, 10:59 PM
dude check out my avatar... do you know what that is?

My last three cards have been ATI, I haven't used an nvidia card since the Ti 4600.

Use common sense. You are almost as bad as that guy Legend :lol:

I'll reserve judgement until nvidia officially releases drivers for Crysis. If the same issue persists then it merits further scrutiny, until then you are just jumping the gun.

Richteralan
11-04-07, 11:05 PM
this is NO different than what they did back with the nv30.
This sentence makes you lost ALL your credibility.

F.Y.I Elitebastards is teh base of eh.....loyal customers.

fivefeet8
11-04-07, 11:38 PM
It'll be interesting once the game is actually released with non beta drivers. If you guys also want to investigate yourselves, the Crysis demo does have a configuration file which can be used to try and fix that reflection issue. The question is, does the performance drop with it fixed using the configuration file and not disabling all optimizations by renaming the exe. It's also interesting to see that the game loses only 7% from disabling optimizations by renaming the exe.

911medic
11-04-07, 11:52 PM
Another take, from [H] (http://www.hardocp.com/news.html?news=Mjg5OTgsLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdCwsLDE=):
NVIDIA Caught Quacking in Crysis?
While the issue is not as cut and dried as it used to be, there is some discussion of NVIDIA and its "cheating" in Crysis with Beta drivers. I am not sure when less than 1 frame per second to 2 frames per second became "cheating," but you can call it what you will. Cheating, or broken? I am leaning more towards "broken." Time for you guys to sound off on this one! One thing I do know is that NVIDIA is working overtime on their drivers right now to get ready for Crysis and its impending sale since the game has gone gold. If this issue were to show up in a non-Beta driver, or even the Beta driver at the time of Crysis' retail release, then it would certainly be worth discussion, but more from a "bad/broken" driver angle rather than a "cheating" angle. Nobody wants screwy reflections in the water for such minimal frame rate returns, me, you, NVIDIA, and surely not Crytek.

LORD-eX-Bu
11-04-07, 11:54 PM
hey isn't that almost exactly what I said earlier? :rofl

jcrox
11-05-07, 01:35 AM
hey isn't that almost exactly what I said earlier? :rofl
:thumbsup:

NoWayDude
11-05-07, 01:44 AM
Originally Posted by Hanners@EB
The performance drop actually becomes far less pronounced with this board at 1280x1024 with 4x anti-aliasing, down to around 3.5%, before growing hugely at 1600x1200, although our previous testing with this board has suggested that the GeForce 8800 GT becomes starved of frame buffer space of memory bandwidth at such intensive settings.

Framebuffer should be taken in consideration, and bandwith on high
Also it appears that there are rendering errors when changing the exe.
Sure it's fishy if the demo is not rendering an image as it should.
But it seems also that the GT loses ommpa on high resolutions, and that, has more to do with the framebuffer and memory bandwith than any hack on the driver
Obviously, someone with a X2900 can try renaming the exe and see what happens
Memories of the FartCry renaming come to mind once again

Mr_LoL
11-05-07, 01:59 AM
Elitebastards. The name of that site is very professional.

sammy sung
11-05-07, 02:31 AM
Elitebastards. The name of that site is very professional.

Idd,cant even get the link to work :thumbdwn:

Knacki99
11-05-07, 02:36 AM
well anyone worried can file a bug report on Nvidias Vista Quality Assurance web page.

Lfctony
11-05-07, 03:54 AM
Idd,cant even get the link to work :thumbdwn:

It never works for me either. Or when it finally loads after 50 refreshes, the pictures are missing! (omg)

JohnDio
11-05-07, 05:25 AM
I had the reflections problem in the beta (and guess what, there weren't any 169.xx drivers back then). The reflections were being updated every 8-12 frames more or less. All i did was to reinstall the game (or restart it with modified cfg's. I don't remember) and the bug was gone. Again, this is not a 169.xx cheat.

4q2
11-05-07, 06:20 AM
dont see why some of u guys have such allegiance to nvidia/ati. they are blatantly cheating here. just because u prefer their products doesnt mean u have to turn a blind eye to their blatant cheating. this is NO different than what they did back with the nv30.

Get a grip dude. :rolleyes:

The good news for ATI fans is that they now have something to talk about besides their latest round of cards sucking ass.

:D

badboy64
11-05-07, 07:10 AM
Get a grip dude. :rolleyes:

The good news for ATI fans is that they now have something to talk about besides their latest round of cards sucking ass.

:D
That made me hit the the floor laughing.
(nana2) (nana2)

Hapatingjaky
11-05-07, 07:20 AM
That made me hit the the floor laughing.
(nana2) (nana2)

Hmmm lets see, compared to the older driver it nets 1FPS difference in Crysis. Sounds like a cheat to me, this is the last straw, I'm selling my 8800GTX SLI setup and going to purchase some HD 2900XT's that perform slower in almost every game and with buggier drivers because this blatent example of cheating just isn't what I wanted :p