PDA

View Full Version : 7800GS+ AGP power connector

hetzer
11-05-07, 05:18 AM
I have a Gainward 7800GS+ AGP adapter and it has what looks very, very like a PCI-E power connector socket. The provided lead has a Y configuration with a PCI-E plug going to 2 molex connectors (standard device connector for PATA HDDs, DVD & CDROM etc). My new PSU has nice bespoke PCI-E connectors and I have many assorted devices vying for the molex connectors. My question is : Will the PCI-E cable work with the nvidia 7800GS+ AGP or will I have to use the supplied Y connector and use up two of the PSU's molex connectors?

Joe Public
11-05-07, 05:55 AM
If the PSU PCIe plug fits and the socket on the card has 6 pins, then it's a PCIe connector. It's keyed so you can't connect anything else that would look like it. (Furthermore, I don't see why Gainward would put a non compliant connector on the card. )

Abraxus#
11-05-07, 07:12 AM
I had the same card as you and I just used the psu pci-e connector.

hetzer
11-05-07, 08:19 AM
Cool! ThankX Guys!
The standard PCI-E pin-out has 3 x 12v (yellow) on one "side" and 3 x Ground (black) on the other.
The connector on the Y lead is a PCI-E one, it is identical to the PSU's connectors!
The Y lead's PCI-E connector has on one "side" 12volt (yellow) leads to the end 2 poles and the centre is left blank. The other side of the connector (the side where the locator lug is situated) is all Ground wires. So I suspected I would be OK..... BUT! Its good to hear that someone has successfully used a PCI-E cable!
Thanks again for your speedy replies!