Pages : [1] 2

gdphk
11-05-07, 07:41 AM
http://www.expreview.com/news/hard/2007-11-05/1194231291d6785_1.html

http://www.expreview.com/img/news/071105/amd_platform.png

http://www.expreview.com/img/news/071105/hybrid_platform.png

http://www.expreview.com/img/news/071105/phenom_platform.png

Final thoughts:

Testing using Crysis CPU Benchmark is a new try, We hope this test can show the CPU's actual performance.

With these score AMD can't win this fight easily. We know that the OC ability of these retail version AM2+ CPUs are limited. We can not use the multiplier to OC, and using FSB to OC only can boost up the frequency for 26X~27XMHz. Pls remember that a easily-OC-to-3GHz-PhenomX4 wont sell on market.

It is not the Frequency limiting the Phenom X4. Just read all the score for reference, Even OC to the same frequency Phenom still can not win. Compare to dual core E6850 it still have a performance gap.

But the test also show some bad news for Intel: the dual-core-to-quad-core improvement are more less than AMD's job. AMD is catching up and Intel still using their last generation advantage.

We want to ask AMD: where's native quad core's advantage? Nov.20 Phenom X4 will begin selling, at that time we will know more.

AthlonXP1800
11-05-07, 07:57 AM
I think retail Phenom X4 do not look good with only single memory channel running and very limited OC. I probably will go for Intel Quad Q9450 that will have dual memory running at full speed and have good OC.

Madpistol
11-05-07, 08:40 AM
It looks like Intel wins this round again... Darn, I was hoping for another massive price war. :(

nekrosoft13
11-05-07, 08:42 AM
amd disapoints again.

Eliminator
11-05-07, 08:57 AM
looks like intel is still in the lead

hirantha
11-05-07, 10:03 AM
Hip Hip Hurray for intel :D

stncttr908
11-05-07, 12:30 PM
I'll wait for another source, but this doesn't look very promising.

Dazz
11-05-07, 12:32 PM
Oh yay good on Intel we need competition in order to bring down prices, Intel know they are in the lead and we will see the first Quad processor to hit $1499 in January. If we had good competition then for that cpu we would only pay $799.

stncttr908
11-05-07, 12:36 PM
Anyone who buys the QX9650 for $999+ has an extremely out of whack $$$/common sense ratio.

Dazz
11-05-07, 12:38 PM
Yeah but even budget processors will be more expensive and thats the point i am making to you. Without AMD we would still be running Pentium 4 core processors. Competition speeds up progress and brings down prices.

Strange how they state the Phenom has a 1600MT/s HT while other sites, have 3600MT/s for the 9500 & 9600 while the 9700 has 4000MT/s. Big diffrence. The ASUS M3A32-MVP supports 5200MT/s

hirantha
11-05-07, 12:56 PM
why would intel try to reap their customers like that just cuz they have a wining processor?.. I'm sure they don't want Unfair Trade Practices Law to come haunt em..

malachi1313
11-05-07, 12:58 PM
It looks like Intel wins this round again... Darn, I was hoping for another massive price war. :(
As of now the prices are probably the best Ive seen for years. CPU and memory prices are awesomer now. I just got 2 gigs of ram for $49.00(89.00 before rebate). It's motherboard prices that are off the hook...

Dazz
11-05-07, 01:04 PM
why would intel try to reap their customers like that just cuz they have a wining processor?.. I'm sure they don't want Unfair Trade Practices Law to come haunt em..Why was the Pentium MMX processors so expensive vs that of Cyitrix and AMD K6? No one knew who they where and paid top doller for Intel. It wasn't intill the Pentium 3 and AMD Athlon came on the scene that prices came down and have been compeditive since then while performandce jumped from one side to another.

agentkay
11-05-07, 01:16 PM
Not surprised at all. If AMD had a killer CPU they had shown us real benchmarks months ago.

CaptNKILL
11-05-07, 01:29 PM
It's motherboard prices that are off the hook...
Not really. A good P35 board can be bought for $100.

But everything is ridiculously cheap now.

2gigs of PC6400 is around $50 (no rebates)

A CPU that can be overclocked to 3Ghz or more easily can be bought for $130.

A video card that performs within the top 10% of all current video cards only costs $270.

Its a HELL of a good time to be a PC enthusiast...

Madpistol
11-05-07, 01:53 PM
2gigs of PC6400 is around $50 (no rebates)

A CPU that can be overclocked to 3Ghz or more easily can be bought for $130.

A video card that performs within the top 10% of all current video cards only costs $270.

Its a HELL of a good time to be a PC enthusiast...

I totally agree...

However, that probably means that there's something that's about to be released that will rock the world of computers...

Or everyone is afraid of getting hit with a lawsuit for price fixing. :p

DRen72
11-05-07, 01:56 PM
Anyone who buys the QX9650 for $999+ has an extremely out of whack $$$/common sense ratio.I have my reasons. :)

mythy
11-05-07, 02:11 PM
All I can say is bring it on!!! I'll put my Q6600 up against any of those damned "x" series CPUs any day! :D And the same goes for these new AMD's It's a shame really that they fell so short in terms of performance :(

stncttr908
11-05-07, 02:22 PM
I have my reasons. :)
Or a really good connection at Intel? :headexplode:

nekrosoft13
11-05-07, 03:16 PM
why would intel try to reap their customers like that just cuz they have a wining processor?.. I'm sure they don't want Unfair Trade Practices Law to come haunt em..

why where the 939 socket X2 so expensive?

Slammin
11-05-07, 08:29 PM
All I can say is bring it on!!! I'll put my Q6600 up against any of those damned "x" series CPUs any day! :D And the same goes for these new AMD's It's a shame really that they fell so short in terms of performance :(

Be careful what you wish for :-)

I bought this CPU because I was an early adopter and already had some concerns about existing mobo's abilitiy to get high fsb OC's with quads.

As it turns out, my mobo tops out just about 333fsb with my quad, so if my cpu multi was locked, I'd be stuck at very low OC.

So what, it costed me several hundred to gain 900+Mhz on cpu. It was a planned purchase, my kids are all grown and moved out, I make the wife eat oatmeal for 3 months. It's all good.

K007
11-06-07, 03:34 AM
I like how Intel is the way to go..but i fear..that at this rate..AMD is gonna be in big trouble..and in the end the victims will be us the consumer...with having to pay ridiculous prices for cpus.

Same story for the GPU side as well...nvidia is hitting them from the right..and intel from the left..amd is gonna need some miracle to get out of this..

I remember how intel was in the same situation..just with the cpu side..but they didn't have huge deep empty pockets..

Here is hoping for AMD to have something up there sleeve...

Joe Public
11-06-07, 06:41 AM
In the end, and I don't really have to say it, but nobody is served with AMD falling behind. People can cheer for Intel as much as they want, but do you really want to end up in a world where there's no competition against them? I don't. Just means more expensive pricing for all of us. Ok, I bought Intel this time around, but it was because AMD had no good alternatives at the time (it was before they slashed prices earlier this year). I was also sort of thinking that AMD would come back strong and soon, but little did I know that it would be postponed time and again. Hopefully the results we see now will imrprove a bit. Or at least I hope so.

nekrosoft13
11-06-07, 07:16 AM
In the end, and I don't really have to say it, but nobody is served with AMD falling behind. People can cheer for Intel as much as they want, but do you really want to end up in a world where there's no competition against them? I don't. Just means more expensive pricing for all of us. Ok, I bought Intel this time around, but it was because AMD had no good alternatives at the time (it was before they slashed prices earlier this year). I was also sort of thinking that AMD would come back strong and soon, but little did I know that it would be postponed time and again. Hopefully the results we see now will imrprove a bit. Or at least I hope so.

you are right, but on other hand its their own damn fault.

few of their mistakes

1) dropping 939 to fast
2) setting to high prices on x2 initially
3) keeping those high prices for the first few months when C2D was winning
4) buying ATI
5) being way way way to ****y, i mean they are braggin all the time, oh intel might have quad, but we will have real quad.

Even now, they still keep the prices to high, prices should be lowered if they want to have any chance in expanding their market share.

Tygerwoody
11-06-07, 08:12 AM
but.. but... but... da RUMORZ Say dat AMD IZ FASTRE!!!!!! RUMORZ!!!