PDA

View Full Version : 8800 GTX runs slow and shows lagging on Asus Maximus Formula SE Intel X38 Chipset

Digital_Trans
11-05-07, 01:37 PM
My EVGA 8800 GTX KO runs slow and shows lagging on the Asus Maximus Formula SE Intel X38 Chipset Motherboard. All the game frame rates are a complete nightmare. I was trying to play Oblivion on my computer and when I got to the game screen all I got was lag. Even the mouse to setup options was lagging across the screen....it just sucked. Do you guys think this problem might be happening because of my cpu's front side bus which is running at 1,333MHz and my memory's frequency running at 1066MHz? Everything else runs perfect expect my gaming experience. I even down clocked the overclocking settings back down to 3.0GHz and I'm still getting pissy performance in game-mode even in Direct X 9 games.

DRen72
11-05-07, 01:51 PM
I'm sure you did, but I have to ask. (First things first)

* Did you insert the GTX in the upper most card nearest the CPU?; and
* Did you connect the extra 12v power to the GTX?
* Did you install the Intel Chipset drivers?

Xion X2
11-05-07, 02:55 PM
Check your PCI-E frequency in your BIOS. It should be set to 16x.

Digital_Trans
11-05-07, 04:52 PM
I'm sure you did, but I have to ask. (First things first)

* Did you insert the GTX in the upper most card nearest the CPU?; and
* Did you connect the extra 12v power to the GTX?
* Did you install the Intel Chipset drivers?

Yes to all the above.

Digital_Trans
11-05-07, 04:53 PM
Check your PCI-E frequency in your BIOS. It should be set to 16x.

I don't see an option in the bios for that.

NickB
11-05-07, 05:56 PM
I had an almost identical issue to yours and just about pulled my hair out trying to figure it out.

My system consists of:
Q6600
Asus maximus
2 GB corsair 8500
Evga 8800 GT SC
WD raptor 150 GB HD
Vista business

Turns out my problem was with the power supply: the evga was not getting enough power from the PCI-express power cable and was automatically being throttled back by the Nvidia driver. Once I installed windows XP, I began getting an error message saying the 8800 was not getting enough power.

The power supply I had been using (Silverstone ST1000) is going back for a RMA. My OCZ 520W power supply runs everything just fine.

I dont know if the Asus Maximus is just finicky, but you may want to try a new power supply

Digital_Trans
11-05-07, 06:49 PM
I had an almost identical issue to yours and just about pulled my hair out trying to figure it out.

My system consists of:
Q6600
Asus maximus
2 GB corsair 8500
Evga 8800 GT SC
WD raptor 150 GB HD
Vista business

Turns out my problem was with the power supply: the evga was not getting enough power from the PCI-express power cable and was automatically being throttled back by the Nvidia driver. Once I installed windows XP, I began getting an error message saying the 8800 was not getting enough power.

The power supply I had been using (Silverstone ST1000) is going back for a RMA. My OCZ 520W power supply runs everything just fine.

I dont know if the Asus Maximus is just finicky, but you may want to try a new power supply

Yes, you know I was having that same problem. I reverted back to Windows XP Pro x64 and I to got an error message that said the 8800 wasn't getting the proper power. And Yes, I do have the SilverStone ST1000 installed.
I just had an RMA on this PSU a couple of months ago and now it's already starting to **** out on me. Man ST-1000 sucks a$$. I will try to adjust the power option in Windows Vista to performance and see if that helps any.
If not then I know SilverStone sucks and I will never use them again since there power supplies all turn out to suck. UPDATE: IT'S STILL DOING IT AND NOW IT'S THE *^&%&%# ST-1000 I HATE THIS!!!!!

Buckeye
11-05-07, 07:03 PM
Man Digital_Trans that sucks. I know you just got that new MB and now havening this problem. If you do replace yours take a look at the one I am using. It had a great review over on Guru3D.

NickB
11-05-07, 07:14 PM
Hopefully this is not a design flaw with the silverstone power supply

For $260 I would expect more!

Digital_Trans
11-05-07, 07:41 PM
Okay, since I don't do SLI, I ordered the Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1000 PSU. Antec has to be better then SilverStone ST-1000. This is the second ST-1000 PSU I used and it sucks just as bad as the last one I used which was sent in for RMA. Antec should be alot better since they
have been around for years way before SilverStone ever decided to step up to the plate and make an offering of Power supplies. Infact, the power supply should be great for even the 9800 GTX once it comes out. Again, I won't use SLI so this will work out perfectly for me.
It uses singal 12V rails which is great vs. one large 12V rail if you're an SLI junky.

DenXP
11-06-07, 03:41 PM
i use SilverStone DA850W, it work fine in my system( 8800gtx+ max.formula).