PDA

View Full Version : 8800GT slower than 7800GT in World of Warcraft

Nick7
11-05-07, 02:50 PM
Finally replaced my GF7800GT with 8800GT.

However, in game I play most - World of Warcraft with new gfx card I have lower FPS!!!

Tried both under Vista64 with xxxx drivers and Windows XP with xxxx drivers.
In both cases I get noticably lower FPS with 8800GT than with 7800GT!!

Anyone have any idea what may be wrong here?

Revs
11-05-07, 02:55 PM
You tried it with other games?

Nick7
11-05-07, 03:19 PM
*ahem*... found the culprit.

For some reason my system went to stock 1.8Ghz, instead of 3GHz it was overclocked to! :bleh:

Yeh, new toy, you know how it is...

Anyway, I'm upto same FPS as was in WoW... too bad it didn't increase - seems CPU is limiting factor, even at 3GHz.

Ikshaar
11-08-07, 03:50 PM
Anyway, I'm upto same FPS as was in WoW... too bad it didn't increase - seems CPU is limiting factor, even at 3GHz.

Yeah but you can crank up the AA/Ani...even FSG if you want .. i know I did ;)

Tr1cK
11-08-07, 04:11 PM
I was going to say my 7800GT to 8800GTS upgrade yielded some boost in WoW, but not much. WoW doesn't need much GPU, it needs a ton of CPU and a lot of fast RAM.

jolle
11-08-07, 06:07 PM
I was rendering yesterday and decided to limit the rendering to one core, while I played wow on the other core.
Went fine, but I noticed that WOW pegs one core pretty much full, so it does indeed seem pretty CPU limited.
Not very suprising looking at the graphics, the style and execution is awesome, but its not very advanced or heavy in any way.

As mentioned tho, make sure to max everything and use TSAA or TMAA antialiasing at the highest res you can use, its prolly not gonna cost any performance with the CPU setting the pace.