PDA

View Full Version : Is dual rail 12v or signal rail 12v better for powering a video card?

Digital_Trans
11-05-07, 08:56 PM
Is dual rail 12v or signal rail 12v better for powering a video card? I want to know because I was watching a review over at 3DGame man on an Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1000 PSU. He sure knows alot about computer hardware! :D url: http://www.3dgameman.com/content/view/9933/43/

Digital_Trans
11-05-07, 09:08 PM
The original reason for dual(or more than single specifically) was nothing more than a hazard avoidance issue of having too much juice on a 12v line.

This has for the most part been canceled out of specs. I've been reading more often that a large single would be best, so as not to artificially limit any given rail.

I see but 3DGameman says that if you're going SLI then one large 12 volt rail would be the best route to take but since I don't SLI anymore then signal 12v railing to one 8800 GTX should be fine. And when the 9800 GTX comes out
I hope it has Dual GPU so I can really enjoy my Asus Maximus Formula SE X38 Chipset based motherboard since it's not an SLI board. It will complete my system for sure once it comes out. I will be so happy.

$n][pErMan
11-05-07, 11:14 PM
One large 12V rail is the way to go! :D Mine can take up to 54A on the 12V rail alone! ;)

Slammin
11-05-07, 11:44 PM
I see but 3DGameman says that if you're going SLI then one large 12 volt rail would be the best route to take but since I don't SLI anymore then signal 12v railing to one 8800 GTX should be fine. And when the 9800 GTX comes out
I hope it has Dual GPU so I can really enjoy my Asus Maximus Formula SE X38 Chipset based motherboard since it's not an SLI board. It will complete my system for sure once it comes out. I will be so happy.

"I see but 3DGameman says that if you're going SLI then one large 12 volt rail would be the best route to take but since I don't SLI anymore then signal 12v railing to one 8800 GTX should be fine."

OK, so, if you are going SLI, go single rail, but if you are not going SLI, going single rail should be fine.

That is EXACTLY what you just said, but the bottom line is, and as was stated, the whole reason behind multi-rails was for sake of safety. Idea being, limit how high of a jolt you could get if you licked (with your tongue) a 12 line (some people are stoopid).

Even at the old original standard, the max current a PSU could pump thru the 12v line was more than enough to start a fire, so the whole multi-rail/safety issue is kinda void there.

Now, where multi-rail does step up, is in in the case where the rails are actually discreet in that noise (variations/fluctuations) from one rail doesn't affect another. Problem is, not too many multi-railed PSU's have this type of isolation, even when they are truely multi-railed.

Multi-railed PSU's=misleading at best.

Single Rail=Best IMHO

Digital_Trans
11-06-07, 12:27 AM
[pErMan']One large 12V rail is the way to go! :D Mine can take up to 54A on the 12V rail alone! ;)

I think this power supply will do the trick since I'm not into SLI.

mullet
11-06-07, 01:13 AM
my next PSU.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703009

Digital_Trans
11-06-07, 01:31 AM
my next PSU.

Nice, I'm big on detachable cables so I can manage them. Antec finally put alot of effort into this power supply so I'm sure it will be nice. I've been waiting on them to do something and after acouple of years they finally got it togeather and put a 1000 Watt PSU on the market for the end-user.

jeffmd
11-06-07, 01:56 AM
I find that you get more juice out of multiple rales over all. Also you get a better choice of power supplies.

Digital_Trans
11-06-07, 09:30 AM
I find that you get more juice out of multiple rales over all. Also you get a better choice of power supplies.

Yes, me to....at least each rail will carry 12-volts. Question, do you think the power supply I choose which is the Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1000 PSU
can push the upcoming 9800 GTX? Antec waited awhile to come out with there own 1000-Watt PSU so I would assume it would but then again, you never know. Look at what happened to my SilverStone Strider ST-1000 It still sucks on the second power supply attempt and I'm not even running in SLI just one EVGA 8800 GTX KO Edition graphics card.

Dr.Nick
11-06-07, 10:19 AM
I don't think there will be any problems with a quality 900w psu running even next gen quad SLI. My enermax has five 24A rails and I've never noticed a hint that anything could slow it down any time soon. I even ran quad sli back in the day on a 2x 18A 600w seasonic with no issues. If its a quality name it will do just fine as long as the power is there. Also multi-rail psu's are usually much quieter as the PCP&C units have proved they are definitely not.

Joe Public
11-06-07, 02:01 PM
I heard even Intel are considering changing their policy regarding the ATX recommendation about multi rail PSUs. Today you see more manufacturers producing their models with just one.

Some manufacturers (for instance Seasonics and Corsair HX models) will print on the PSU and the documentation that the PSU are multi rail, but in reality there are no multiple OCPs, just one. Meaning those too are single rail. My HX620W says 3x18, but it's really 1x50.

Legend
11-06-07, 02:05 PM
my next PSU.

I have the copper one and it kicks tail! 60amps on the single 12 rail ftw!