PDA

View Full Version : d-sub, DVI, tv-out all at once... can it be done?

sorrydaijin
04-15-03, 02:56 AM
I have an ABIT siluro ti4400 and currently have it hooked up to a crt monitor on the d-sub and a tv on the tv-out. I am considering buying a TFT and was wondering if I will be able to have 3 screens running at once. Can anybody shed light on this?

(sorry if this is mentioned elsewhere... I did a search and only fornd an unanswered question in the linux forum)

SteveL
04-15-03, 05:40 PM
As far as I am aware....you cannot run 3 screens at the same time, I've tried it on my Ti4400 and the most you can have is 2.

I think the only card that can handle 3 screens at the same time is the Matrox Parhelia. Though I'd be quite happy to stand corrected if I am wrong about this :cool:

sorrydaijin
04-15-03, 07:15 PM
thanks for the reply. I suspected as much, but I think I'll stick with my gf4ti rather than switch to a Parhelia.

If I manage to work something out when my new monitor arrives, I'll be sure to post again.

GlowStick
04-17-03, 08:02 PM
Hi,

Id also like to add some helpfull informaton.

Though you asked info about a Nvidia card i thought id test it out on my Radeon 9800Pro

Anyways, the Control panel told me i cannot run 2 montiors and my TV.

So i disabled the TV and everything was blury on it, but DVD's and DIVX ; ) files looked pirtty cool.

SnakeEyes
04-18-03, 09:38 AM
Yes, the Parhelia is the only consumer oriented card that can output to three displays at once, but (and any Matrox-ites frequenting the nv forums definitely feel free to correct me), I believe it's limited to using 2x standard VGA and 1 DVI output for that mode. In other words, I don't think you could do tv out and dual monitors with it either, unless you resorted to some sort of go-between hardware to convert a PC monitor oriented signal for tv input.

Myrmecophagavir
04-18-03, 05:46 PM
ATI's 9800 Pro manual says you can have a CRT, DFP and TV all at once but the TV will just clone one of the other monitors. It explicitly says you shouldn't use a CRT, TV and another CRT on the DVI port (In fact it says you can't even use a single CRT on the DVI port along with a TV).

SnakeEyes
04-18-03, 07:03 PM
Hmmm.. unless that's a new feature that hasn't been mentioned at all in the PR, the 9700 should be able to do that too. Only I haven't seen anything about it in my manual. I'd love more info on it (like connecting the stuff, since there's only 3 connectors on the back of the card, how do you hook up a DFP, TV, and monitor all at the same time without using the DVI?).

Edit: Never mind. Brain fart. Of course you could connect a DFP to the DVI, assuming it's native DVI (as in, has it's own built-in TMDS, so that the TV / CRT can make use of the ones built into the video card).

GlowStick
04-19-03, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by Myrmecophagavir
ATI's 9800 Pro manual says you can have a CRT, DFP and TV all at once but the TV will just clone one of the other monitors. It explicitly says you shouldn't use a CRT, TV and another CRT on the DVI port (In fact it says you can't even use a single CRT on the DVI port along with a TV).

Wow, i didnt know that, but i dont have a DFP so im SOL. Oh well, maybe in the future.

SnakeEyes
04-21-03, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by GlowStick
Wow, i didnt know that, but i dont have a DFP so im SOL. Oh well, maybe in the future.
I bought my wife a 15" LCD last spring, but unfortunately it has only the standard VGA output, or I'd give this a try, just to see it work.

sorrydaijin
04-27-03, 10:05 PM
digging this up again...

on the ti4400, is there a way to clone the crt to tv like mentioned above for the radeon?

would be nice if there was...

also, can you make one-click shortcuts to change the monitor config, so you don't have to open display properties all the time?

eg. short cut 1 = CRT+DFP
shortcut2= TV+DFP

GlowStick
04-27-03, 10:17 PM
IM sure there is a way to make a program to do that!

Though, i dont know how.

Rampant CL
04-28-03, 02:26 AM
I have an fx 5800 but havent tried out all the outputs at the same time yet - lemme check and get back to you