- Vista Compatible
- X-Fi Crystallizer and CMSS-3D
- Digital Passthru for HT systems
- 4 separate stereo line outs for 7.1 analog systems
- Optical input and output - no coaxial
- EAX HD support
- Connects to Intel HD Audio standarised front panel connectors
- Price US $69

I wonder if this is the same as on newegg for $49 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102016)? Or what is missing - for these 20 bucks less?

DRen72
11-06-07, 11:06 AM
The one on NewEgg looks like OEM which is probably just the card and no software, etc.
Also, the reviews on NewEgg look terrible for this thing.

I wonder how this compares to previous X-Fi cards in terms of performance and sound quality.

LORD-eX-Bu
11-06-07, 11:31 AM
I'll stick to my onboard sound, don't want to waste money on a product when the company who makes it hardly supports it and will probably go out of business in the near future :lol:

Its too bad, I've always wanted to hear what a difference these X-fi cards made in sound :)

jAkUp
11-06-07, 11:35 AM
The one on newegg is an Audigy 2 rebadged.

Rakeesh
11-06-07, 11:37 AM
Where are the HDMI soundcards? The whole PC sound card industry is slow and stupid.

Mr Bigman
11-06-07, 12:30 PM
Yea the support is dead on Creative.

They make ok products but drivers come out once a year if we are lucky.

SOAD
11-06-07, 12:40 PM
Creative press release:
http://sg.creative.com/corporate/pressroom/releases/welcome.asp?pid=12835

Facts:
- 24 bit at 96 kHz rec and playback
- Vista Compatible
- X-Fi Crystallizer and CMSS-3D
- Digital Passthru for HT systems
- 4 separate stereo line outs for 7.1 analog systems
- Optical input and output - no coaxial
- EAX HD support
- Connects to Intel HD Audio standarised front panel connectors
- Price US $69

I wonder if this is the same as on newegg for $49 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102016)? Or what is missing - for these 20 bucks less?

Hello fellow Paddy :D

Has this the same horsepower as the normal ones?

cheers

zerobeta
11-06-07, 01:35 PM
What features does the 'big brother' have that this one does not?

I am talking about the X-Fi Fatality and the likes.

XDanger
11-06-07, 01:58 PM
64mb xram and connectivity ,but this and the normal pci version have an intel HD front panel header ,Which is nice.

Dazz
11-06-07, 02:17 PM
This is just a XFi Music for PCI-E, which is software based. I am selling my XFi Fata1ity FPS off getting a good price for it too. i'll stick with onboard sound intill decent PCI-E soundcards come out.

zerobeta
11-06-07, 02:36 PM
I just wonder if I will notice any different in sound quality or features if I use a quality speaker system with a $200+ sound card like the X-Fi or the Prelude vs this relatively cheap PCIe X-Fi.

Rakeesh
11-06-07, 02:42 PM
I just wonder if I will notice any different in sound quality or features if I use a quality speaker system with a $200+ sound card like the X-Fi or the Prelude vs this relatively cheap PCIe X-Fi.

If you are using an analog setup, then yes you'll hear a difference. With creative cards you are always using analog unless you watch a DVD or something.

zerobeta
11-06-07, 02:49 PM
I am using Altec Lansing FX6021 2.1 Stereo Speaker System

crainger
11-06-07, 03:13 PM
This is just a XFi Music for PCI-E, which is software based. I am selling my XFi Fata1ity FPS off getting a good price for it too. i'll stick with onboard sound intill decent PCI-E soundcards come out.

You are thinking of the XtremeAudio. XtremeMusic is hardware based just minus the X-RAM.

Rakeesh
11-06-07, 03:18 PM
I am using Altec Lansing FX6021 2.1 Stereo Speaker System

I would say you can use pretty much any card without noticing much of a difference with those speakers. You may notice some difference, but it isn't going to be night and day.

SOAD
11-06-07, 03:18 PM
64mb xram and connectivity ,but this and the normal pci version have an intel HD front panel header ,Which is nice.

just had a look at the link. It looks crap to me.

"Supports EAX 4.0."

What about EAX 5.0 ???? Dosent that make it a audigy card?

zerobeta
11-06-07, 03:35 PM
I would say you can use pretty much any card without noticing much of a difference with those speakers. You may notice some difference, but it isn't going to be night and day.

Question is if some features are not supported, like the latest EAX and whatelse, which make the music/gaming experience better.

This PCIe X-Fi and Supreme FX II PCIe cards do not support EAX 5.0

I mean the price difference between these new PCIe cards and a PCI card are big, surely there are quite a few differences?

Rakeesh
11-06-07, 03:49 PM
Question is if some features are not supported, like the latest EAX and whatelse, which make the music/gaming experience better.

For very few games they *may* improve things.

zerobeta
11-06-07, 04:17 PM
So basically what you say is it is not worth investing money in an Creative X-Fi / Auzentech Prelude or others's expensive sound cards, and just settle for the onboard sound, or just buy a cheaper X-Fi model if you want features like EAX etc? at least for the speaker system I use? (I assume so if there really won't be any difference in sound quality)

Any idea what other features, for example EAX, are supported by the expensive cards which are not found on the cheaper models? Besides X-RAM

I see this PCIe X-Fi supports EAX 4, are there any games that support EAX 5?
Are the features available on PCI X-Fi cards, like crystalizer effects etc, also supported on these PCIe X-Fi cards?

CaptNKILL
11-06-07, 04:38 PM
For very few games they *may* improve things.
The Witcher sounds amazing using EAX and ALchemy in Vista. :)

crainger
11-06-07, 05:45 PM
The Witcher sounds amazing using EAX and ALchemy in Vista. :)

It sure does. For me EAX and Alchemy was the only way to get 5.1 sound too.

mythy
11-06-07, 11:07 PM
Creative sucks big time. I had a fatality and it went to ebay ;) But were al in luck another company is making CUSTOM X-Fi drivers!!!! F Creative :cool:

LordJuanlo
11-07-07, 02:22 AM
Bioshock is awesome with X-Fi and EAX enabled. I tried it without EAX because of the previous, faulty driver, and the difference is awesome, it's just another game. At least for me, audio is as important as graphics. Comparing to video cards, it's like playing with or without FSAA. EAX 4.0 and 5.0, if well implemented, are superb and far beyond anything else. It's sad that the only cards than can play it have been plaged by crappy drivers since the beginning.