PDA

View Full Version : Question about Max temps on a QX6850 how hot is to hot 98c?

Digital_Trans
11-06-07, 06:17 PM
My friend has a system just like mine. He was redoing some power supply wires to clean up the case and forgot to plug in his 12V molex connector to the Koolance case. When he booted up his Asus Maximus Formula he got an error message in the bios which said CPU temp error. When he checked out the temp reading in the bios.....the Intel QX6850 was at 98c which in the bios the text color was red. He shut down the computer and at once plugged in the water cooling molex so the flow would get to th cpu and everything was fine right after. Should he RMA the cpu or do you think it's going to die sooner then later since the cpu reached 98c?

Is there a software tool to check the cpu so he doesn't end up with a bad cpu later on because of the overheating issue he had. I'm glad this wasn't my system but never the less my friend's system might be damaged. So far, he's not had any issues or shut downs but we want to make sure.

buffbiff21
11-06-07, 06:20 PM
It will be fine.

Digital_Trans
11-06-07, 06:23 PM
What's the max load temp before damage can effect the cpu? He didn't do any overclocking or VCore voltage mods. It was set just to stock speed 3.0GHz Please advise???? :(
He only set the cpu to stock speed and never overclocked anything. He just forgot to plug the power in to the Koolance case when he rebooted and got the message. Man I hope his system is safe.
I would assume the Asus Maximus Formula would do something to prevent damage since it has that COP FX or what ever monitors abnormal readings. He said it sure got damn hot to the touch. Geeee, I hope his system will be okay.
What should I tell him?

Digital_Trans
11-06-07, 06:31 PM
?

Digital_Trans
11-06-07, 06:31 PM
To make it very clear because his system is watercooled and he forgot to plug in the koolance flow pump it would be like turning on a computer without no fan over you're cpu and things got hot up to 98c
Are you sure his system is going to be fine? I've known this guy for years. When I tell him, I want to make sure I have the best advie From you guys on here at NV NEWS!

buffbiff21
11-06-07, 06:33 PM
Been there done that. Forgot to plug in my pumps a few times and my CPU of a year and a half is still running @ 3.6GHz. If it gets too hot, the system will shut itself off to prevent damage to the CPU.

If you're that worried about it you can RMA but Core 2s are resilient. I wouldn't worry about it.

Feyy
11-06-07, 06:36 PM
Correct me if im wrong but a 98*c exposure to the CPU of maybe a few secs can be considered harmless, because afaik the CPU would shut itself down immediately if it hits 100*c or more. I'n a joking fashion you could call it a very quick burn-in time :D

Digital_Trans
11-06-07, 06:37 PM
Been there done that. Forgot to plug in my pumps a few times and my CPU of a year and a half is still running @ 3.6GHz. If it gets too hot, the system will shut itself off to prevent damage to the CPU.

If you're that worried about it you can RMA but Core 2s are resilient. I wouldn't worry about it.

It should be fine. He's got a Asus Maximus Formula which reads if the system might be in great danger. He did disable the cpu fan alert option in the bios since he's watercooled like me.
I hope he will be okay............................98c isn't good, can someone confirm that the cpu or computer would shut itself down immediately if it hits 100*c Just knowing would be better then not knowing for the record.

Digital_Trans
11-06-07, 07:28 PM
So far everything is fine for his system. Any advice this evening from anyone is still welcome. We sure like information as it will be effective in everything we do with computers.

Digital_Trans
11-06-07, 07:29 PM

How hot did you're cpu temps reach before you said holy $ h i t? Was there any burn marks on the cpu or you're water block?
'm glad you're cpu is good and hell, you're still overclocked so it didn't do anything to it after so long and it's still going grea right now.
But did you see any sings of damage or burning the cpu or waterblock?

buffbiff21
11-06-07, 07:38 PM
How hot did you're cpu temps reach before you said holy $ h i t?
Above 80C when I checked in BIOS. It just shuts itself off when it hits that high as a safety mechanism.

Digital_Trans
11-06-07, 07:52 PM
Above 80C when I checked in BIOS. It just shuts itself off when it hits that high as a safety mechanism.

His didn't at all. He got into windows and then decided to reboot again and then he went into the bios. The entire process didn't last to long so I'm sure he's in the safe zone or else he couldn't use his computer if it we're damaged.

Digital_Trans
11-06-07, 08:18 PM

Well, the only other question I have is how long did you let it run before you noticed the problem?

einstein_314
11-06-07, 10:44 PM
It should be fine. I'm pretty sure all motherboards these days will automatically shut down if the CPU gets too hot. So if it didn't shut down....it's fine.

Digital_Trans
11-06-07, 10:50 PM
It should be fine. I'm pretty sure all motherboards these days will automatically shut down if the CPU gets too hot. So if it didn't shut down....it's fine.

Sweet! Thank you for the concern bro! I love this forum! Good friends..Good advice when you need it fast! (bump)

Eliminator
11-06-07, 11:35 PM
at 98*C it would probably melt... ive seen an old athlon xp at 85*C melt in less than 30 seconds

Digital_Trans
11-06-07, 11:38 PM
at 98*C it would probably melt... ive seen an old athlon xp at 85*C melt in less than 30 seconds

Should I check the cpu and Koolance waterblock for signs of damage?

LORD-eX-Bu
11-07-07, 12:53 AM
the CPU is toast, better sell it on ebay for $50 before anyone finds out :bleh:

Digital_Trans
11-07-07, 01:14 AM
Come on how so it's working 100% with no problems. Besides, It wasn't on for very long.

Digital_Trans
11-07-07, 01:22 AM
the CPU is toast, better sell it on ebay for $50 before anyone finds out :bleh:

No, I would RMA it and then have Intel ship me a brand new one in a retail box then resell it for alot more then $50.00 I know my friend would want this if he doesn't want it so no problem to help someone out.
Hell, I'm already a proven power seller on ebay now. Need I say more? :screwy: url: http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=direct-4u&ftab=AllFeedback&myworld=true You're funny indeed! LMAO! it's all good! :clap2:
My other friend had his cpu temp once at 102c and nothing happened to his system. So I think it's 100% safe to say that his cpu will be fine and so will my friends. I've been in the same boat before so seeing someone else besides myself isn't any fun.

K007
11-07-07, 03:09 AM
If i see these numbers..i would be ****ting my pants -.-...that is really in the danger zone for the temps..

Digital_Trans
11-07-07, 07:10 AM
If i see these numbers..i would be ****ting my pants -.-...that is really in the danger zone for the temps..

The Quad Core Intel chips in the Q6xxx & QX6xxx series have a T-junction of 100C. The T-junction is the trigger temperature that the CPU will shut down. The CPU is designed to operate up to that temperature ao it is just fine.

Since the CPU really did not hit that threshold temperature at any time the Asus Maximus Formula SE BIOS must of been reading inaccurate temperatures. Looks like we won't have to RMA the cpu after all. Because if it would have

then the computer would have just shut down. I did the research on this since no one here is really giving me any true answers. Oh, well $ h i t happens.

LORD-eX-Bu
11-07-07, 12:26 PM
maybe your mobo is posting the wrong temps and you were over 98*C... I give it another two weeks and you'll have a dead CPU... you better just get rid of it somehow before everyone finds out :lol:

Digital_Trans
11-07-07, 01:35 PM
maybe your mobo is posting the wrong temps and you were over 98*C... I give it another two weeks and you'll have a dead CPU... you better just get rid of it somehow before everyone finds out :lol:

HAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!!!!!!!!!!