PDA

View Full Version : Help - Keep getting blue screen : IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Severian126
11-07-07, 12:54 AM
I've been having some trouble with my Alienware rig, and long story short, just got the rig back and occasionally it has been giving me this blue screen and restarting.

I would get a message saying:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

With disclaimers in the bottom telling me to check hardware, etc., contact manufacturer if it persists, etc.

At the bottom, under Technical Information, it says:

*** STOP: 0x00000000A (0x01CFA154, 0x0000001B, 0x00000001, 0x81CAD8DA)

What does this mean? Do I have a faulty hardware? I wont' get into all my issues with Alienware, but I'm just tired of returning this crap. Could it be RAM?

Starscream
11-07-07, 01:01 AM
That's often the bluescreen you'll get when you have bad memory, or you've overclocked it too much.

My suggestion is run the MS Memtest in extended mode or the Memtest 86 overnight and see if they report any errors in the morning.

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

http://www.memtest86.com/

mythy
11-07-07, 01:02 AM
any thing can cause that but its usually hardware related

Google OCCT download it and run it. If you get that blue screen again or if OCCT crashes let us know

Severian126
11-07-07, 02:59 AM
Thank you for the input guys.

I ran OCCT and the result came out stable for both CPU & RAM.

I have yet to try the RAM links as I need to burn those files into a disc. I will do it when I can.

What hardware could it be? Hard drives seem to be working fine. Sound card, ethernet, DVD???

mythy
11-07-07, 07:52 AM
My moneys on the ram. OCCT only stresses it it doesn't test the entier sticks for memory holes.

To run a memory test all you you need to do is boot with the Vista DVD and click repair and theres a built in memory test.

nekrosoft13
11-07-07, 08:06 AM
use memtest instead. this is most likelly bad ram.

ginfest
11-07-07, 08:11 AM
I'd say 90%+ that it's memory related-either the timings are set to "tight" or the FSB is too high/not enough Vdimm, or a bad memory stick.
I have had it happen becuase of the above-itaalso could be driver-related, but in most cases that I've seen, 0xa is hardware.

jeffmd
11-07-07, 04:14 PM
I believe when I kept getting this once..i replaced the ram to fix it.

walterman
11-07-07, 05:11 PM
Once, i had that problem when using PCI cards on slots with shared INT lines and drivers without irq sharing support. But, another time i had that problem when i plugged a usb camera. The windows message doesn't help a lot, but, it's a hardware problem, no doubt.

Severian126
11-13-07, 11:14 PM
OK I tried the Vista Mem test, and ran it twice. While testing, I noticed a message saying results will be posted the next time I log on after its done. Well, after finishing, it just shoots me straight to Windows but I see no results screen.

What does this mean? Is my memory ok?

wnd
11-16-07, 06:56 AM
I got this message after upgrading my single-core CPU to dual-core. Neither memtest86+ or Microsoft's memory tester reported any errors after running overnight. However, cleaning up the contacts and reseating memory modules miraculously solved the problem.

Severian126
11-22-07, 04:40 AM
I got this message after upgrading my single-core CPU to dual-core. Neither memtest86+ or Microsoft's memory tester reported any errors after running overnight. However, cleaning up the contacts and reseating memory modules miraculously solved the problem.

How do I clean out the contacts and reset the memory modules?

Severian126
11-22-07, 04:43 AM
I also tried doing the a chkdsk scan on the hard drives and reformatting both hard drives. No help at all after a clean windows installation. Alienware tech hasn't been that great, and I'm trying to avoid returning this thing again since being w/out a PC sucks.

I ram mem test, no error screen.

I ran OCCT - nothing is wrong.

I checked the hard drives.

What other things can/should I check? The Alienware Tech - a supervisor they assigned to my case, wants me to upgrade the BIOS next. Will this fix it?

wnd
11-22-07, 05:45 AM
How do I clean out the contacts and reset the memory modules?

Reseat, not reset. Anyway, when I reseat components I just unplug them, sweep the contacts (contact surface, nowadays usually copper or golden) with cotton stick or soft clean cloth and plug them back. If you don't know what you're doing, don't use any chemicals or water.

The fact that this solved the problem for me was probably because phase of the moon or particulary active earth radiation before the problem occured. ;-) It is also possible that Windows was having one of "those days". If you're desperate, go ahead and give it a try. As long as you don't break anything, there's little to lose.

EciDemon
11-22-07, 06:38 AM
I get that when gfx card is OCed too much and/or just crashes due to overheat as room ambient temerature is higher then normal, or (again) _insert game name_ stresses gpu too much with current OC setting resulting in a crash. I hope im not confusing that BSOD with that other bsod you'll likeley to get when OCing.

Luchou
11-22-07, 08:02 AM
I get that when gfx card is OCed too much and/or just crashes due to overheat as room ambient temerature is higher then normal, or (again) _insert game name_ stresses gpu too much with current OC setting resulting in a crash. I hope im not confusing that BSOD with that other bsod you'll likeley to get when OCing.

x2

Rakeesh
11-22-07, 10:16 AM
Creative cards are known to be BSOD magnets, try uninstalling its drivers and pull it out and see if the problem goes away.