PDA

View Full Version : Vista32: Can't get clone to work on LCD and HDTV

monkeydust
11-07-07, 04:08 AM
I've got a Dell 2001fp and Sony HDTV via DVI->HDMI. I've never got them both to work at the same time properly. They work fine XP (dual-boot) but when I boot to Vista 32, the LCD loses signal and the HDTV is the only one to get a signal. I've been messing with this for the last year and have installed 32/64 bit Vista several times in hopes of fixing it but no luck. I try a new NV driver every couple of months and always the same results. If I switch the LCD and HDTV DVI inputs, I can sometimes get a picture on both but the resolution is never correct like it is on my XP boot drive. I've tried with the latest beta drivers and get the same results. My configuration has never had a problem when I boot to my XP drive.

I've posted similar threads like this for the last 12-14 months on various forums and have tried both Vista32 and Vista64 with the same results (reinstalled OS about 5 times because I thought it couldn't be an NVIDIA issue but always the same results).

ikjadoon
11-07-07, 06:57 PM
Hello, mate. I've had similar issues and have been utterly buggered about it. I still honestly don't know how to fix it, I have just found a workaround.

First thing is to install monitor drivers. I know you are thinking "WTF", but seriously. Check Dell's site. Just do it.

Do you get a black screen when Vista boots up on the Dell, with all the sounds playing? Does the light stay green or does it go to standby-yellow, on the monitor? And also, does 162.22 WHQL work for you? Like, fully?

If so, you're problem is like mine. The problem, as far as my limited research as told me, is that the monitor is missing or has corrupt/broken/bad EDID information, which basically lists the refresh rates, possible resolutions, etc. Just like a little spec. sheet for Vista to look at and tell what resolutions to offer and stuff like that. So, when the OS doesn't find the correct EDID info, it doesn't display an image. What to do? Get a VGA cable. Switch out the DVI for the monitor with a VGA cable. Uninstall whatever driver you have and install the latest one (or the one you want, really doesn't matter). Reboot. Check if Clone works. It may or may not, I've had both happen. Then disconnect the VGA cable (while the computer is on, though not sure how safe that is) and put in your DVI. It may or may not display an image. Reboot and try Clone. It should work.

There is a huge thread of over this issue here:

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=33671

I'm currently trying to grab my analog EDID and transfer it to my DVI, like that guy posted, but just haven't found the time. :)

hth

~Ibrahim~

monkeydust
11-09-07, 04:46 AM
Hello! Yes, that's the same problem I have. I don't have a VGA connection handy, but I went through the other steps.

The first time it boot up after installing the drivers, I was able to initialize clone mode. But, it would only do it with a max rez of 1280x1024 instead of 1600x1200. It didn't matter which monitor driver I used. When I rebooted, it was back to it's old tricks; got picture on HDTV but monitor was black again.

ikjadoon
11-11-07, 12:21 PM
It is such a ridiculous problem. nVidia needs to get on the ball and fix what they broke. I mean, 162.22 works fine, WHY BOTCH IT in the later releases? Anyways, here are some steps that worked for a guy over at NVIDIA forums:

- Connected PC to HDTV using S-video cable
- Boot in safe mode, uninstalled all NVIDIA drivers (using drive clean on top of Nvidias uninstall app).
- Reboot with Vista's VGA drivers.
- Installed 100.64.
- Reboot system after installing 100.64. Turned HDTV off and ON after this.
- Changed S-video cable to component (YPbPr).
- In Nvidia's control panel, switched output to Component 720p
- Adjusted screen resolution to 1176x664 (8% underscan for 720p as recommendedd by NVIDIA for 720p HDTVs)
- Install 101.XX drivers
- Reboot
- When back to desktop, I connected DVI-HDMI cable while the component cable was still attached. This got recognized as a 2nd monitor (good!)
- Selected High-def 720p 1176x664 on the 2nd monitor which by the way got recognized as my HDTV properly.
- Chose the DVI connector as the main monitor.
- Switched AV inputs in my TV to the HDMI port... Voila! I have video.
- Installed 158.18 after this. Worked with no black screen problems.

Just substitute 100.64 for 162.22 and 158.18 to whatever driver you choose. Hopefully, this works. :D

~Ibrahim~

Dr.Nick
11-11-07, 01:14 PM
I've never been able to clone two different resolutions, especially one that one of the monitors does not support. Not sure how it worked for you in XP.

monkeydust
11-11-07, 06:21 PM
It is such a ridiculous problem. nVidia needs to get on the ball and fix what they broke. I mean, 162.22 works fine, WHY BOTCH IT in the later releases? Anyways, here are some steps that worked for a guy over at NVIDIA forums:

- Connected PC to HDTV using S-video cable
- Boot in safe mode, uninstalled all NVIDIA drivers (using drive clean on top of Nvidias uninstall app).
- Reboot with Vista's VGA drivers.
- Installed 100.64.
- Reboot system after installing 100.64. Turned HDTV off and ON after this.
- Changed S-video cable to component (YPbPr).
- In Nvidia's control panel, switched output to Component 720p
- Adjusted screen resolution to 1176x664 (8% underscan for 720p as recommendedd by NVIDIA for 720p HDTVs)
- Install 101.XX drivers
- Reboot
- When back to desktop, I connected DVI-HDMI cable while the component cable was still attached. This got recognized as a 2nd monitor (good!)
- Selected High-def 720p 1176x664 on the 2nd monitor which by the way got recognized as my HDTV properly.
- Chose the DVI connector as the main monitor.
- Switched AV inputs in my TV to the HDMI port... Voila! I have video.
- Installed 158.18 after this. Worked with no black screen problems.

Just substitute 100.64 for 162.22 and 158.18 to whatever driver you choose. Hopefully, this works. :D

~Ibrahim~
http://www.feebleminds-gifs.com/exploding-head.gif

I've never been able to clone two different resolutions, especially one that one of the monitors does not support. Not sure how it worked for you in XP.
That's interesting. Things always worked flawlessly on XP for me. My LCD is at 1600x1200 and my HDTV is at 1,920x1,080 (1080p).

ikjadoon
11-11-07, 09:19 PM
Hey, it worked for him, lol.

Actually, I've never been able to clone on two different resolutions, either? Isn't that what nVidia defines clone as? Dual-view is for separate resolutions, right?

Might that be why you are limited at 1280x1024? But I think that Dell 20" goes higher than that, right?

~Ibrahim~

monkeydust
11-12-07, 05:49 PM
My LCD is 1600x1200 native resolution. And yeah, with clone, you'd think they resolutions would be the same. But, that's not the case for me. I don't like dual-view because I like to see the same thing on both screens. I usually start my movie and them maximize it on my LCD and then take my bluetooth keyboard into the TV room to control my playback.

ikjadoon
11-12-07, 07:26 PM
My LCD is 1600x1200 native resolution. And yeah, with clone, you'd think they resolutions would be the same. But, that's not the case for me. I don't like dual-view because I like to see the same thing on both screens. I usually start my movie and them maximize it on my LCD and then take my bluetooth keyboard into the TV room to control my playback.

Are you sure they are running at different resolutions? Like, in nVidia's control panel, switch between the monitors and see if the resolutions are different.

Yup, I do a similar thing. I have my 26" HDTV hooked up via VGA and watch Netflix "Watch Instantly" movies on the 'big screen', as my brother calls it.

Do you notice a lag between the LCD and the HDTV? I'm asking because I'm thinking of getting a wireless mouse/keyboard so that I can game on the 26", lol. But there is a long-VGA cable lag + wireless lag. Not sure how good that will be. :confused:

~Ibrahim~

monkeydust
11-13-07, 05:14 AM
Are you sure they are running at different resolutions? Like, in nVidia's control panel, switch between the monitors and see if the resolutions are different.

Yup, I do a similar thing. I have my 26" HDTV hooked up via VGA and watch Netflix "Watch Instantly" movies on the 'big screen', as my brother calls it.

Do you notice a lag between the LCD and the HDTV? I'm asking because I'm thinking of getting a wireless mouse/keyboard so that I can game on the 26", lol. But there is a long-VGA cable lag + wireless lag. Not sure how good that will be. :confused:

~Ibrahim~
Well, I really don't know for sure if they are different resolutions. NV control panel shows HDTV output as "1080P HDTV". The picture looks good though. Used to use S-video before I got this setup and it looks much better now.

I've never noticed lag between the two. I'm using DVI-HDMI so I really doubt there would be much lag. I've been using the same MS bluetooth desktop set for years too that has worked great for me (use it for gaming and has the range where I can take them into the other room with me for HDTV use).

ikjadoon
11-16-07, 07:22 PM
Got it, thanks. I'll have to mess around with it, I guess. :D

Thanks for the info. I just might pick me a up a set of wireless inputs.

~Ibrahim~