PDA

View Full Version : Best graphics card that DOESN'T need a power cable

Bottle
11-08-07, 10:07 AM
I recently bought a Dell Optiplex 755 for my office. I specifically did not buy one with a graphics card (relying on the X3100 on-board graphics instead) because Dell was offering only an ATi Radeon HD 2400 Pro 256MB for an extra 110. I knew that was a fairtly poor card and one can buy them for much less.

I now want to beef up the graphics with a graphics card (God knows how the X3100 will cope with Vista as it struggles with 22" widescreen on XP Pro), but the PSU that comes with the Optiplex has no further power cables other than one for a FDD.

Thus, I need a reasonable PCI express graphics card that does NOT require a power cable (it's an Q35-based mobo, so it has PCI express 2.0).

I'm not up with all the variuos flavours of cards so don't know what would be the best with this requirement (no power cable). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

beobebob2
11-08-07, 10:15 AM
the 8600gt doesn't need a power cable.

XDanger
11-08-07, 01:31 PM
I didnt think a pci-e 2.0 slot needed the 6 pin, Live and learn i guess.

Another option would be to get a W0099 250w VGA power unit to supply a beefier card, It worked with my GTS so with a GT it would run just fine.

Stoneyguy
11-08-07, 01:47 PM
PC Power and Cooling offer PSU's that will work in Dells.

XDanger
11-08-07, 03:01 PM
But this way is WAY cheaper http://specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/product.php?productid=2471 allowing you to waste more money on the graphics.

I mean spend.

Bottle
11-09-07, 03:46 AM
Thanks for your replies. I'd never heard of the W0099 before; interesting idea. My main problem is that when I work on a picture in Photoshop and then try to copy-paste it into a PowerPoint, I keep getting messages that the image is too large for this. I'm now suspecting that my system RAM (which is what the X3100 graphics uses) is too low (2Gb), so I might at first try upgrading to 3Gb. Otherwise the 8600GT sounds like the job :afro:

john19055
11-09-07, 04:42 AM
I think ATI is going to release some new cards that don't need the extra power cable.They should be low power with them going to a 55nm chip,plus it will be PCIe2.I don't know how the performance is going to be but they should use a lot less power then the 2400 and the 2600 use,plus be more powerful.

Bottle
11-12-07, 04:43 AM
Thanks, I'll keep my eyes out for them.

CaptNKILL
11-12-07, 05:01 AM
You might want to check the size limitations of pictures in power point first if thats the only problem your having.

It sounds more like a software thing to me.

Plus, you'd need to be making some pretty massive pictures to max out your 2gb. Plus, it should use virtual memory if that happens.

My brother does graphics and artwork for a toy company and his larger photoshop and illustrator files are around 1Gb in memory... those are massive.

There's really no way you're running out of memory because of a picture in powerpoint unless its like 20,000x20,000 pixels. :o

Open task manager (ctrl alt delete) and check the memory usage of your programs to see if any are using a ton.

Look into that before you buy a new card.