PDA

View Full Version : About to get my second GTX, what do I need to know about profiles etc?

[EOCF] Tim
11-08-07, 11:18 AM
I'm kind of confused with the profiles thing, do you need to load a profile from the list to get optimal performance?

What makes that superior over just making your own profile and setting up AFR 1 or 2, or SFR? Are the profiles specifically tweaked for the split load in games with SFR? If so, why won't just enabling SLI, and then just launch the game get those optimiziations started, without loading the profile?

And what can possibly be tweaked in AFR from the driver side? It's just one frame per card right?

Any tips on overclocking? Like put the fastest clocking card in the bottom slot or something?

Are there any things that are currently broken in SLI? I know multiple monitors don't work, but what else?

Thank you.

[EOCF] Tim
11-08-07, 05:05 PM
Please anyone? :)

SH64
11-08-07, 05:12 PM
I'm not using SLI cureently but from my previous experiance :
1) The profiles are already there. when you start up the SLI supported game , its profile will be loaded automatically.
2) Usually best performance can be achieved with nvidia's own profiles included in latest drivers. sometimes though messing up with the profile you may come up with a better performance using different SLI value but thats very rare now i think.
3) AFR for best SLI performance.
4) Changing the SLI value / compatibilty bits can make a difference in performance (better or worse) also can fix or produce IQ bugs. so be careful when messing with the profile values.

[EOCF] Tim
11-09-07, 01:50 AM
I'm not using SLI cureently but from my previous experiance :
1) The profiles are already there. when you start up the SLI supported game , its profile will be loaded automatically.
2) Usually best performance can be achieved with nvidia's own profiles included in latest drivers. sometimes though messing up with the profile you may come up with a better performance using different SLI value but thats very rare now i think.
3) AFR for best SLI performance.
4) Changing the SLI value / compatibilty bits can make a difference in performance (better or worse) also can fix or produce IQ bugs. so be careful when messing with the profile values.

Thank you very much, that helped a lot actually.

So you don't have to point the profile to the exe, if it detects for instance bioshock.exe, it will automatically load the correct SLI values? That's sweet.

So AFR gives best performance, interesting. What is sort of the ratio under the profiles list, how many use AFR, and how many use SFR? :)