PDA

View Full Version : 8800GT Overheating?

Pages : [1] 2

Try4Ce
11-08-07, 11:46 AM
Hey guys!
Got my BFG 8800GT OC today and tested it right away.

Installed the XG 167.26 without problems.

Crysis runs awesome on High Details @ 1280x1024.
C&C3 TW as well.
Tried "The Witcher" on max details with 4xAA and 16xAF as well and no complaints at all.

3DMark06 scores over 11.000 for me, Aquamark 3 about 139.000.

I could say I'm pleased, but there's something what concerns me now.

I fired up the Bioshock Demo (DX9 since I run XP).
Maxed everything and started the Demo level.
Played until the end just fine, but where this guy is speaking to you through the "display/Monitor whatever" the game hang and showed me some squares, like overheating.

I'm afraid now that my Card has heat-issues... Started the "rthdribl" Demo in Fullscreen and AA and watched the temps on Everest for my GPU.

It goes up to 93C maximum, but never above.
Seems like a little high?
I played the Crysis Demo through with some tweaked ini settings (sunshafts, very high water) and never got any artifacts or crashes or issues whatsoever.

Could it be just the Demo crashing my machine? Heard its rather buggy anyways.

Ah, and what driver do you recommend on the 8800GT? Heard the 169.04 are pretty good for them, but they definately were horrible on my old 7950GX2...
And I heard that the 169.04's are pushing the temps even more up...

avirox
11-08-07, 11:48 AM
yeah I noticed that my GT runs WAY hotter than my GTS320 did. Reviews tend to point this out as well. If it's really going above 85c though you could always increase fan speed incrementally via RivaTuner.

Try4Ce
11-08-07, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the reply, ill try rivatuner out.

Any driver recommendations?

Ah, and somehow no single nVidia Graphics Demo is working except for the smoke one... any clues?

Try4Ce
11-08-07, 12:05 PM
zer0: Hehe yeah that would make things easier...

Avirox
Do you recommend a setting for fixed fan speed? I setup 50% now but the noise increased significantly... Not that distracting, but noticeable... Temps are now at 83C fixed... wont go higher now which could be alot healtier...

Try4Ce
11-08-07, 12:21 PM
Yeah even at 60% the fan is really loud...

Is there any VGA Cooler that fits on the 8800GT?
Heard the Zalman VF900-CU would fit tho, but I'm not quite sure.

jcrox
11-08-07, 12:29 PM
Try removing the HSF and cleaning the GPU and applying some thermal paste. I've heard from several people that doing this has dramatically dropped the temps on these cards.

Try4Ce
11-08-07, 12:44 PM
Okay I'll try it out :)
Got some Arctic Silver 5 Paste here... Should fix some things

Try4Ce
11-08-07, 01:57 PM
Well from 92-93C max down to 82 :)
That's a difference for sure...

But I'm still thinking about getting the Zalman Cooler for it... Seems awesome.

EDIT: Man... That was the FIRST time I dismounted a GPU Cooler myself ;) My fingers were shaking, was afraid to damange something... Thank God my brother helped a little (verbally)... otherwise I would have been pretty screwed... not that i would have made a mistake, but I think I would be ready for psychology hospitality ;)

methimpikehoses
11-08-07, 02:40 PM
Well from 92-93C max down to 82 :)
That's a difference for sure...

But I'm still thinking about getting the Zalman Cooler for it... Seems awesome.

EDIT: Man... That was the FIRST time I dismounted a GPU Cooler myself ;) My fingers were shaking, was afraid to damange something... Thank God my brother helped a little (verbally)... otherwise I would have been pretty screwed... not that i would have made a mistake, but I think I would be ready for psychology hospitality ;)

I plan to do this tonight... got any tips for another first timer?

What did you use to remove the old thermal paste?

Try4Ce
11-08-07, 02:55 PM
Hehe ok, I'll try.

First, you need to prepare it.
Put ur card out and get some ... toilet paper or something, just to put the paste on it...
I removed the paste with the sticks you clean ur ears with... Sounds hillarious, but its cool. Dunno what its called in english tho, I'm german :P

Ok then you need a screwdriver, no kiddin! ;)

When u remove the cooler after removing the screws, you need to pull a little. The cooler is a little sticky to fit on the card.
Then I removed the CHIP paste on the cooler and the chip itself. Be careful!

Then, after cleaning, apply a little new paste on the chip, but only on the silver part! And the frame around it (its silver too)... the paste has to be very thin... Search something not too rough to get it on the chip and the frame.

Then put back the cooler... That was the most frightening stuff since its a little tricky to get the cooler back on IMO. Then put back the screws on...
But keep in mind that the chip has to touch the cooler itself again...

Sorry because of my english... When it comes to descriptions, its a little hard to translate... ;)

EDIT: I just noticed that the automatic Fan control wasnt working without Rivatuner... well not entirely... I played around with it in Rivatuner and now my temps are down even more. Maximum of 70C now! Temps are monitored by the most recent Everest Corporate Edition. Great app :)

avirox
11-08-07, 03:04 PM
hehe yes the fan can get mighty loud. My GTS320's fan was defaulted at 60% and even at 100% I couldn't really notice a difference (though my case fans are rather loud so that's probably why). I'd suggest you just incrementally up the fan speed and find a good temp/noise tolerance ratio :)

methimpikehoses
11-08-07, 03:15 PM
Hehe ok, I'll try.

First, you need to prepare it.
Put ur card out and get some ... toilet paper or something, just to put the paste on it...
I removed the paste with the sticks you clean ur ears with... Sounds hillarious, but its cool. Dunno what its called in english tho, I'm german :P

Ok then you need a screwdriver, no kiddin! ;)

When u remove the cooler after removing the screws, you need to pull a little. The cooler is a little sticky to fit on the card.
Then I removed the CHIP paste on the cooler and the chip itself. Be careful!

Then, after cleaning, apply a little new paste on the chip, but only on the silver part! And the frame around it (its silver too)... the paste has to be very thin... Search something not too rough to get it on the chip and the frame.

Then put back the cooler... That was the most frightening stuff since its a little tricky to get the cooler back on IMO. Then put back the screws on...
But keep in mind that the chip has to touch the cooler itself again...

Sorry because of my english... When it comes to descriptions, its a little hard to translate... ;)

Thanks, your english is effective enough! Should be an adventure. :D

Try4Ce
11-08-07, 04:04 PM
Thanks methimpikehoses, tried my best ;)

Well I'm testing the heat now for about 1 hour... Never goes above 73C ... always 72-73C ... Good temps for a 8800GT right?

BTW still cant run the nVidia 8800 Demos... Whats the matter? >_<

Mr Bigman
11-08-07, 04:45 PM
Isn't there a danger Den Waterblock out yet for it?

methimpikehoses
11-08-07, 05:38 PM
Thanks methimpikehoses, tried my best ;)

Well I'm testing the heat now for about 1 hour... Never goes above 73C ... always 72-73C ... Good temps for a 8800GT right?

I've seen people talk about 80's a lot... not sure if they are properly adjusting the fan speeds. What is your fan speed when maxing out at 73C?

Try4Ce
11-08-07, 05:44 PM
I've seen people talk about 80's a lot... not sure if they are properly adjusting the fan speeds. What is your fan speed when maxing out at 73C?

Phew dont know exactly... Around 3500 or something like that... Gets a little noisy, but its still 'ok' :)

ATOJAR
11-09-07, 11:42 AM
Ok at the moment my card idles at 70c(pretty warm room) ... im goint to apply AS5 to the GPU chip, ill report back with the idle temps ASAP.

This is with stock fan speeds.

methimpikehoses
11-09-07, 11:54 AM
Ok at the moment my card idles at 70c(pretty warm room) ... im goint to apply AS5 to the GPU chip, ill report back with the idle temps ASAP.

This is with stock fan speeds.

Mine are getting up to 61C at LOAD playing Crysis after applying AS5, OCed.

Zynx87
11-09-07, 12:41 PM
Could it be that BFG's 8800GT runs hotter than EVGA's?

ATOJAR and Try4Ce's BFG's seem to be running hotter than methimpikehose's EVGA.

Athena
11-09-07, 01:21 PM
From what I have read and what one of hte techs was saying on the eVga forums if you "fix" the paste problem on the heat sink the stock cooler is more than enough to handel the 8800GT and keep is nice and cool.
The manufacturer they use in China to put these card togeather are having QC issues and alot of the cards are shipping with 5 times to much thermal paste. I kid you not.

methimpikehoses
11-09-07, 01:30 PM
I couldn't even believe how much thermal paste was on the GPU. It was more than 1 entire small tube of AS5. I should have taken a picture of it. It looked like too much cheez whiz on a cracker.

therapture
11-10-07, 11:14 AM
so setting the fan speed to 100% is unbearable?

70-72c is my personal temperature limit.

my previous cards(6800 and 7900GT) died due to some moderate overclocking and temps that reached 70c.

70c did not kill those cards. Something else did, 70c is practically air conditioned.

ps- I am going to pull my card apart this evening and check the paste....thanks for the tip.

Revs
11-10-07, 11:29 AM
This is why I recommend a re-paste >>>

Temp dropped from 81*C to 72*C after a good sesh with fan @ 55% and OC as in sig.

Preparat
11-10-07, 12:17 PM
You just repaste the GPU? didnt do anything to memory? them pads dont look good

g1dtf
11-10-07, 04:01 PM
I found that if you remove the chunky pads on the memory there is a slight gap between the chips and the HS so they had to stay.