PDA

View Full Version : Need lower resolutions

Tr1cK
11-08-07, 03:08 PM
I have literally thrown together junk PC parts from the past 9 years and made a ghetto HTPC that sits in my basement connected to a 27" floor model (yes wood cabinet and all) Magnavox TV. The TV has only a coax connection, so I dug up an old RF converter I had. The PC is running XP with a voodoo 3 3000 with composite out. The lowest resolution available is 800x600 which the TV can't stand and makes reading text that's not blown up a PITA. The driver picked for the 'monitor' is some TV driver that shipped with windows. Is there a way I can force a lower res?

crainger
11-08-07, 04:22 PM
Powerstrip?

http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/ps.shtm

Tr1cK
11-08-07, 05:22 PM
That might work. I was thinking more along the lines of being able to hack the registry or install a driver that would let me drop below 800x600 in Display Properties.

buffbiff21
11-09-07, 02:31 AM
There's no way you'll ever be able to get quality image on a regular 640x480 CRT TV via S-video, coax, composite, etc..

Text will always be blurry and PQ will be terrible in my experience. I tried out my 27" CRT and another 32" CRT via S-video and composite, and tried every single blur/bright/color adjustment and it just wasn't happening.

nekrosoft13
11-09-07, 07:57 AM
buffbiff21 is right, its not gonna happen.

Tr1cK
11-09-07, 08:06 AM
I know I won't get better quality. It looks good enough while playing videos and emulators. I want lower resolution to be able to read text and what not better because the smaller fonts are really fuzzy. I found a utility I could use to force it to switch to 640x480 which made a great improvement. All I had to do was make a simple .bat file to run it.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/Resolution-Changer.shtml

CaptNKILL
11-09-07, 09:20 AM
I don't recommend trying to browse the internet or do anything with text on a TV, but emulators and movies are fine at 640x480. I use composite out on my Atari ITX system and it looks fine on a cheapo 27" ilo CRT TV. Movies look better than they do on cable IMO...

Tr1cK
11-09-07, 09:25 AM
Videos look better on it due to the fact that the blurriness and low resolution somewhat filter out any anomalies. I'd almost rather watch it this way than on my main PC with 22" LCD.