PDA

View Full Version : To SLI or not...

Vanzagar
11-08-07, 06:20 PM
I'm about to upgrade but have been hearing so much grief regarding the 680i boards... on the other hand I've had sales guys tell me SLI is fine as long as you don't try to overclock, once you overclock then SLI is a nightmire...

For people that have had problems with SLI would you please comment on what the problems have been...were you able to overcome the problems? Would you now recommend SLI or not?

I am thinking of using SLI 8800GT's or waiting until mid Dec to see if nVidia releases a 9800GTX before then, which I may also SLI...

I guess my main concern is stability, if my games are constantly crashing what good is 70+ fps...

Also, please recommend the most stable SLI mobo if you would, all I care about is stability not bells and whistles...

Thanks,

rhuala

FearMeAll
11-08-07, 06:32 PM
Ihave sli ultra's and have yet to have any problems what so ever on my 680i sli board but for some reason a lot of folks complain...they must try to overclock too much, because I've never ever had a hardware issue with sli it has always been something software related with the forceware drivers. nothing nhancer can't fix.
I'm gonna sli the 9800's if they ever come out too. sli is great and I love the technology. I just think people that have so many problems with it are too agressive with their settings overclocking wise. I do not overclock video cards anymore..always fixes all my stability issues.

Slammin
11-08-07, 06:36 PM
I built a rig with Sli'd 7800GTX's with AMD Opteron 170, and now am running Sli with current rig.

Not meaningful in this discussion, or may it is, but Doom3 timedemo on this rig with single card is arounf 80fps, Sli=190 fps. Not all games scale that great with Sli, so do keep that in mind.

No matter, since you can sometimes, and especially now, get two cards that may be a step or two down from the FASTEST, though, both together may also be the cheapest route, and still get better performance!

That's not the norm, but at any rate, Sli has always been worth it to me.

Just note that grabbing two 8800GTX's right now would be silly when you you should most definitely grab two of the new 8800GT's instead if you wanted to go Sli.

Then again, gaming resolutions could become an issue too, but, not even going to go into all that.

Tr1cK
11-08-07, 06:41 PM
For me the drawback is not being able to use Dualview simultaneously.

So, no.

hokeyplyr48
11-08-07, 06:46 PM

So, no.

if you put in a 3rd video card (like just pci or something) would you be able to still see the 2nd/3rd monitor if you plugged it into that one instead of the sli'd gpu's. That's always been a concern of mine because i always have useful stuff on my other monitors.

MMhardKy
11-08-07, 06:47 PM

So, no.

Please explain this to me further. I have a 24" LCD (dvi) and a HDTV (dvi to HDMI) connected to my 8800GTX. I plan to go SLI. Will it be impossible for me to use dual view anymore?

Tr1cK
11-08-07, 08:04 PM
You can use it, but not while using SLI.

MMhardKy
11-09-07, 08:16 AM
You can use it, but not while using SLI.

Does this mean that the game running in SLI will only be displayed on the "primary" monitor? That would mean I just have to set the monitor that I want to use to "primary". That wouldn't be a big deal.

Tr1cK
11-09-07, 09:10 AM
It's not a big deal most of the time. I like running things on my secondary monitor while running my games in a fullscreen window on my primary monitor, like WoW on primary and AIM, Firefox or whatever on the secondary. That won't work with SLI.

Q
11-09-07, 09:59 AM
It's not a big deal most of the time. I like running things on my secondary monitor while running my games in a fullscreen window on my primary monitor, like WoW on primary and AIM, Firefox or whatever on the secondary. That won't work with SLI.

Same here.

Daneel Olivaw
11-09-07, 10:06 AM
No technology that requires a per game setup to even -work- at all will live long. IMO

john19055
11-10-07, 06:23 PM
I always think it is better not to SLI because some games don't work right .I would rather just have a single card that is just as fast as SLI when it works right.

K007
11-10-07, 07:14 PM
I always think it is better not to SLI because some games don't work right .I would rather just have a single card that is just as fast as SLI when it works right.

Name some games that dont work with SLI?

Seriously...SLI is great. If you got the cash, go for it imho. Alot of games that have been out this year, make great use of SLI, bars are maxed out, FPS goes up quiet alot.

And nvidia is always keeping drivers out for the new games.

I would rather just have a single card that is just as fast as SLI when it works right.

That only happens when the next gen gpus come out...

The only downside for SLI users atm is Vista..if you want to use this OS..forget SLI for now. Otherwise if you use XP..its great

Vanzagar
11-14-07, 12:45 PM
The only downside for SLI users atm is Vista..if you want to use this OS..forget SLI for now. Otherwise if you use XP..its great

I didn't know that... will SP1 for Vista fix SLI...

I was hoping of getting two 8800GTs, and running Vista 64bit - so your saying this won't work at all, or sometimes (with some games)...