PDA

View Full Version : 8800 GTS, DVI->HDMI, Sony 40X2000, Fonts??

JapanFred
11-09-07, 03:36 AM
Hi guys,

I was running a component cable to my bravia and getting 1080i, but the ghosting and colour was terrible compared to what it could produce via HDMI.

So i bought a DVI->HDMI Cable and it worked a treat, 1080p lovely. Videos are perfect, cannot fault them, but...

Fonts, sometimes appear a little strange?
Also, small images, it's like it's set the colour depth for some images (MSN Profile Pic in Chat Window) to 256 colours?

This could be a setting i just haven't played with yet, i only toyed around for 5mins.

Does anyone know of this issue?

Cheers Guys,

Dean

Mr. Nice
11-09-07, 04:09 AM
So i bought a DVI->HDMI Cable and it worked a treat, 1080p lovely. Videos are perfect, cannot fault them, but...

Fonts, sometimes appear a little strange?That sounds like you don't have 1-1 pixel mapping. Although it does have a 1920x1080 panel, most flat panel tvs still apply about 5% overscan (2.5% a side) by default. I don't know the tv in question, but on a lot of 1920x1080 panel tvs it is possible to remove the overscan and set 1-1 pixel mapping, but I don't know your model in particular.
Nvidia's screen setup wizard has as it's first step a test pattern for 1-1 pixel mapping, consisting of a grid of alternating black/white pixels. With 1-1 pixel mapping it lookes like a nice even pattern, or mid grey at a distance. Without 1-1 pixel mapping it shows banding.

If it isn't possible to remove overscan from the HDMI input, try the normal VGA input I note it does have. That almost certainly will default to no overscan by default.

JapanFred
11-09-07, 04:16 AM
Cool, i'll have a look into that, cheers.

I do know however that the tele has four settings, FullPixel (1:1), Normal, -1, -2.

I'm pretty sure it's set to FullPixel but will check...

Thanks