PDA

View Full Version : Timeshift is an excellent overlooked game

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Riplayne
11-09-07, 08:59 PM
I'm about half way through it and I must say i'm very happy so far, this game is great. Awesome graphics, bug free and great gameplay, definatly should be on peoples must play list for FPSs.

SeriTonin
11-09-07, 09:26 PM
Oh it's on my list. I just picked up gears of war and area 51 is this tues., crysis in a week, unreal tournament 3 right after that. Bah. I almost wish they spaced these out a little better.

conroejoe
11-10-07, 12:49 AM
I'm about half way through it and I must say i'm very happy so far, this game is great. Awesome graphics, bug free and great gameplay, definatly should be on peoples must play list for FPSs.

Agreed!

jAkUp
11-10-07, 01:00 AM
On my list too :D

Single Player
11-10-07, 01:05 AM
reaalyy? hmm..

Saintster
11-10-07, 01:45 AM
I really enjoyed it,seems like with the Crysis craze and all of the other games it got pushed off the radar. Also for people that actually base purchases off reviews,the reviews were not the best.

mythy
11-10-07, 01:49 AM
nah it sucked :thumbdwn: Its ok if your not expecting much but for true gamers its not that great to many details overlooked

LycosV
11-10-07, 02:41 AM
I think the game is fun, but the story didn't seem to get put back together right after they changed it. The story cutscenes are placed at seemingly random intervals throughout the game.

ChaoticNick
11-10-07, 03:24 AM
nah it sucked :thumbdwn: Its ok if your not expecting much but for true gamers its not that great to many details overlooked

I have to agree with mythy, it's mediocre. Its only feature setting it apart is the time-shifting, and that grows old quickly(plus you can't even use the most interesting, reverse, for many of the levels). Also, the environment seems unusually static than what I'd expect, maybe Crysis spoiled me...

kev13dd
11-10-07, 03:40 AM
I think the game is fun, but the story didn't seem to get put back together right after they changed it. The story cutscenes are placed at seemingly random intervals throughout the game.
Every criticism and every piece of praise this game is getting are all true

The game is beautiful. You can control time. It's got all the FPS elements that are needed for a FPS to be good

Unfortunatly, the nays have it. While the game is beautiful, personally there just always felt like something was off. It felt old with high resoultion textures. Time control is repetative, the gameplay is the most forced and linear of any game I have ever played

But to top it off, the story blew. You have a guy with a freaking timesuit that can manipulate time, and the story BLEW. Cutscenes were random and incredibly short- which once you beat the game, are still just as random when they are all put together. No one seems it odd that some guy appeared out of nowhere to join their battle. In fact, they actually order you around as if you're just one of their soldiers. In the end, you pretty much learn nothing about the character you've been playing, or the enemy you've been fighting. It's annoying as heck to play through a game getting tidbits that don't amount to anything, and never do

This game was probably the most influential in my decision to buy an X360 (even though I ended up with the PC version since it was cheaper) and it feels like a major let down. Multiplayer doesn't work through my college's firewall, so that's the only thing I can't judge. But single player was a good plot badly told and not taken advantage of, which ruined it for me

K

Destroy
11-10-07, 09:06 AM
Fantastic game in absolutely all areas but linearity. Textures are jaw dropping, great environment setting, good sounds, interesting story, punch to weapons.

This is a VERY solid title that's getting less than fair reviews. It's more of a 8/10 for sure. Easily equal to Gears of War IMO.

DarkOneX
11-10-07, 09:58 AM
I agree, game is awesome. What sucks though is it magically quit working for me last night. It just loads a small window in the corner and vanishes when I try running it. Apparently after reading through their support forum alot of peeps are having this issue. No clue how to fix, really sucks!

Saintster
11-10-07, 10:53 AM

Man you broke my bubble and to think for the last 30 years I thought I was a "true gamer" man you you suck:headexplode:

nekrosoft13
11-10-07, 11:09 AM
Oh it's on my list. I just picked up gears of war and area 51 is this tues., crysis in a week, unreal tournament 3 right after that. Bah. I almost wish they spaced these out a little better.

as in Blacksite Area 51? its out already?

DRen72
11-10-07, 11:24 AM
as in Blacksite Area 51? its out already?
November 12th.

I also enjoyed TimeShift. I finished it up last night and thought is was overall a very well done game. It does leave a little to be desired in regard to the backstory and such, but the gameplay is great. Plus it was cool hearing Greg Grunberg from Heroes voice the game. Overall I gave it an 8.5 on my personal scale.

wrathofgod
11-10-07, 11:37 AM
Agreed!

+1!

Elvin Presler
11-10-07, 01:42 PM
Anyone else get a BSOD nv4_disp.dll infinite loop crash as it is loading with any driver except 169.04 Beta (or other 169.xx that I have not tried)? Even the latest official driver crashes it.

What is up with that? I don't want to use some beta driver, and what major change is in those drivers that fixes the crash? Is it a bug in all the older nvidia drivers that got fixed or a bug in the game that got "worked around" in the 169.04's?

7800GS AGP on Windows XP

nopp0x00
11-10-07, 02:18 PM

Yep, playing through it right now. I'm having fun with it. It looks great and has fun gun fights. It takes everything good done with F.E.A.R and improves on it a bunch.

nopp0x00
11-10-07, 02:18 PM

So people who enjoy the game aren't true gamers? WTF. It's a solid game and it's fun. Liking it doesn't make one a false gamer.

shrapnel
11-10-07, 03:39 PM
So people who enjoy the game aren't true gamers? WTF. It's a solid game and it's fun. Liking it doesn't make one a false gamer.
+ 1 :thumbsup:

OWA
11-10-07, 04:47 PM
I really like it. One of the best I've played in quite a while.

Tuork
11-10-07, 11:46 PM
Very enjoyable game I must say. Loved the weapons, although I admit that the crosbow was a tad overpowered at times. Bit linear, yes, but nothing too bad for my taste.

As many have mentioned, the main con here is the lack of a proper storyline to back it up. At first I was really excited to learn what it was that had happened which led to this alternate reality thingamagig, but in the final battle has to be the most pathetic "boss fight" I have ever experienced.

*SPOILERS*
You just take out the turret and out comes to dude crawling after the uber mech spider collapses? Come on! There could've at least been a level inside the damn robot where you had to blow up the core or something like that. Just off the top of my head I can think of waaay better ways for the final fight.
Cut scenes were poor and randomly scattered. They should've used them to enhance the story, not just show me running to an elevator and getting into a stupid glider dropship. Meh.

There is one last thing I don't understand: the final final cutscene. Why did the suit detect a paradox and jump away? I don't get it. Someone please explain this to me. As far as I can put it together, the reason the dude jumps in time is to save the lady friend. Does it mean that now that she's saved he never did the time jump?

Oh yeah, and being bossed around like an ordinary soldier pissed me off.

</EndRand>

Hoopla
11-10-07, 11:54 PM
Graphics are surprisingly nice, but the gameplay is so linear that it gets boring fast. I wish there was more freedom to screw around with the time manipulation.

KickAssCop
11-11-07, 04:26 AM
Its an extremely well done game. The only two points I find against it are the extremely linear gameplay and long loading times. Other than that coming from Saber Interactive it is an excellent attempt. Compare it to other games that are extremely linear like say FEAR (with its slow-mo whoring) or Half Life 2 games with extremely linear gameplay and same guns since forever.

Guns are excellent and timeshifting powers actually work where you can't ***** them to no end. You actually think that you could use time powers better when you die. On the other hand you may make an argument that its same old, I would say so is Gears of War or any other game out now (except possibly crysis and bioshock).

Its not a AAA game but its worth 8/10 unlike the crap ratings gamespot gave it and it is far far superior to Jericho, FEAR Expansion and/or Painkiller crap.

PaiN
11-11-07, 06:45 AM
I picked up Time Shift last night. (just in case we don't get a good shooter this month ..*cough hehehe..) I played afew hours and was happy with the purchase. There is nothing overly innovative about the game, but nothing done wrong either. A+ for the engine too, the textures are very sharp and its stable.