PDA

View Full Version : My First Custom Computer

swalden
11-10-07, 04:27 PM
I have always bought my gaming computers before, i was looking at buying an alienware computer but when i saw the possibilities of building your own as well as some of the cases you guys have alienware looks crap in comparison.

Here is the best Rig i would build (with accessories)

Case:Silverstone TJ07 Case

MotherBoard: Gigabyte P35-DS3P

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Core CPU Q6600

GPU: EVGA nVidia Geforce 8800GT (PCI)

Memory: Corsair QUAD 4GB (4x 1GB) DDR2 800

HardDrive: Seagate 320GB 7200.10 SATA II

DVD DRIVE: Samsung SH-S203B Black SATA 20x DVD/RW Writer

Sound card: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro

Power: Thermaltake Toughpower 1000W Power Supply Unit

Monitor: Samsung 245B 24"

Keyboard: Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard with LCD

Mouse: Logitech G5 Corded Laser Mouse

Speakers: Logitech Z2300 2.1 Speakers

Headset: Creative Fatal1ty Gaming Headset with mic

Total = 4000 (AUD)
Exchange rate: 1:0.913 there fore USD = 3650

In future i plan to overclock

questions:
What components can i reduce to make it cheaper? as it is over my budget cost
is SLI needed?
Should i change to graphics cards to GTS?

why do alot of people prefer the q6600 over the q6700?

Does what i have posted work? Are their anything i need i havent posted?

Does the case come with enough fans?

Whats a good LCD size?

I am thinking of using my Xbox 360 on the same LCD, will this one work, and what is a good size for a computer monitor and Xbox one?

thats all for now

p.s I am planning to be a hardcore gamer, atm i am a social one but do play some older games quite competitively like WC3 but i want to get into the next gen games and my old laptop is not good enough anymore.

LORD-eX-Bu
11-10-07, 07:01 PM
it isn't that people prefer the q6600 over the q6700.. the g0 g6600 has exhibited excellent overclocking potential with many users being able to hit overclocks of 3.6 ghz on air cooling while maintaining excellent idle and load temperatures :)

if I were you I would ditch the 680i chipset for either a p35 or an x38 based motherboard. Your system will be much more stable and chances are you will be able to overclock higher than the nvidia based chipset.

Is Corsair the only brand available over in Australia(that is where you are right?), I've found that they are usually the more expensive brand when it comes to memory. Others have reported excellent results with Geil branded memory kits... I would shop around some more.

You hard drive capacity is a bit on the low end but that can be upgraded later...

Do you have to have a add-in sound card? some motherboards come with X-fi's built in or you could just save money and go with integrated audio, works fine for me that way.

I would switch your ULTRA KAZE 120mm for Yate Loon D12sm-12 fans, they are very quiet and move alot of air. They are also the least expensive usually.

I don't really care much for SLI, seeing as how we have new GPUs coming out pretty soon I wouldn't buy a second GT, you'd have to stick to an nvidia based motherboard too in for SLI and you'll regret it :)

24" in a great size for a screen.

buffbiff21
11-10-07, 07:11 PM
Get 2x2 RAM instead of 4x1 if you intend to overclock. Keep in mind that you'll need 64bit OS if you run 4GB.

Ditch the 680i.

Ditch the 1KW PSU. I say get HX520 from Corsair. Modular, sexy black wires.

Thermaltake Armor is crap. I know; I've owned one. My friends and I were chillin' one day, little alcohol involved, when I bought it. I said "Dude.. it's huge (http://www.mpcscomputers.com/images/pcCases/thermaltakeArmor.jpg)." When you see it in person, it sucks. Disgusting interior color and features. You might have enough room for water cooling crap (if you mount rad with a radbox, or put it where the ODDs go), but I'd get something else. I went to a Lian Li PC-G70B afterwards, and now am back to my PC-60B. Lian Li FTW.

swalden
11-10-07, 08:13 PM
it isn't that people prefer the q6600 over the q6700.. the g0 g6600 has exhibited excellent overclocking potential with many users being able to hit overclocks of 3.6 ghz on air cooling while maintaining excellent idle and load temperatures :)

if I were you I would ditch the 680i chipset for either a p35 or an x38 based motherboard. Your system will be much more stable and chances are you will be able to overclock higher than the nvidia based chipset.

Is Corsair the only brand available over in Australia(that is where you are right?), I've found that they are usually the more expensive brand when it comes to memory. Others have reported excellent results with Geil branded memory kits... I would shop around some more.

You hard drive capacity is a bit on the low end but that can be upgraded later...

Do you have to have a add-in sound card? some motherboards come with X-fi's built in or you could just save money and go with integrated audio, works fine for me that way.

I would switch your ULTRA KAZE 120mm for Yate Loon D12sm-12 fans, they are very quiet and move alot of air. They are also the least expensive usually.

I don't really care much for SLI, seeing as how we have new GPUs coming out pretty soon I wouldn't buy a second GT, you'd have to stick to an nvidia based motherboard too in for SLI and you'll regret it :)

24" in a great size for a screen.

Im going to ditch the Motherboard then.
Il look into the sound cards.
I am used to a harddrive ona laptop so 320 is big enough for me but yes i probally will get another on later on.
I'll change brand of Ram

I changed the Case to the Armour LCS as i read some reviews and the cooling ability looks great.

Judging by what Biff said i might look into some other cases
Whats a decent LCS one?

One more question: I was thinking of getting a single GTX GPU, and when the Next generation of Graphics cards come out adding another of the newer ones in. Could i do that? so have SLi with a 6800 GTX and a 6900 GTX?

Is 520 W PSU enough?

LORD-eX-Bu
11-10-07, 08:18 PM
that won't work for SLI. You'd be better off sticking with the GT which gives similar performance already to a GTX and waiting for the next big update to arrive :)

swalden
11-10-07, 08:23 PM
Changed case to Silverstone TJ07 Case

Im goner work on changing more components will post up when done