PDA

View Full Version : Front USB ports...

Redeemed
11-10-07, 09:54 PM
Hey guys, kind of a n00by question...

The USB and audio, FireWire, etc connectors on the front of my tower- how do you connect those? Is there a simple guide as to how they connect to the mobo somewhere? I've built *many* systems but I never worry about connecting those cause I can never figure it out- and I don't want to short anything so I don't even try. But I'm now in need of more USB ports and I'd rather not buy a hub or add-in card.

Thanks in advance ya'll. :D

Redeemed
11-10-07, 10:23 PM
Hmm... no advice? :(

LORD-eX-Bu
11-10-07, 10:43 PM
read your mainboard's user manual.

Should have a diagram showing connections for USB1 USB2 or FRONTUSB and FIREWIRE.

Airbrushkid
11-10-07, 10:47 PM
Haha

Amuro
11-10-07, 10:55 PM
It's very easy for the USB and Firewire, just plug the cables into the mobo connectors , consult your motherboard manual for the exact location of the connectors for your particular mobo. Audio is a bit tricky, newer cases come with both AC97 and HD audio plugs so all you need to do is plug one of them into the correct connector (consult manual again), then you have to go into your system BIOS and set the audio type to match it, either AC97 or HD audio.

crainger
11-10-07, 11:10 PM
Hmm... no advice? :(

As said before, read the manual and following it to a T otherwise you could kill any device you hook up to the ports or even worse, the board itself. :( If you are lucky your case has a plug that will only go on one way, some cases have separate pins, which can be a little tricky.

technoid
11-10-07, 11:11 PM
Hey guys, kind of a n00by question...

The USB and audio, FireWire, etc connectors on the front of my tower- how do you connect those? Is there a simple guide as to how they connect to the mobo somewhere? I've built *many* systems but I never worry about connecting those cause I can never figure it out- and I don't want to short anything so I don't even try. But I'm now in need of more USB ports and I'd rather not buy a hub or add-in card.

Thanks in advance ya'll. :D
Here's two guides that might help you. All the cases I've used had connectors with all the wires on them so they plugged directly into my motherboard. But some cases come with individual wires that you have to put on each pin. One of the guides covers that fairly well. I hope this helps some.

http://www.directron.com/installusb.html
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/90

Redeemed
11-10-07, 11:53 PM
Here's two guides that might help you. All the cases I've used had connectors with all the wires on them so they plugged directly into my motherboard. But some cases come with individual wires that you have to put on each pin. One of the guides covers that fairly well. I hope this helps some.

http://www.directron.com/installusb.html
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/90

My problem is the latter- my case has individual pins just referring to the voltage and what not. Nothing really specific as to which pin goes to which connector and in what way it should be oriented. And if I recall the manual for my mobo isn't very helpful, though I should probably read through it once more.

Thanks for those links. :D

Rytr
11-10-07, 11:56 PM
Don't know what case you have but check the diagram for the case.
On the motherboard you have the USB1, 2, etc. connections (10-pin, one missing). The USB cable provided with the case will either have the 10-pin connector with one blocked off and will plug into any one of these USB motherboard connections. If the wires provided with the case are individual you have to be careful and get the individual wires connected properly to the individuals pins on the USB motherboard connection (motherboard manual provides the info). Firewire is the connected the same way as is audio, etc.

Starscream
11-11-07, 01:50 AM
The order for usb is quite easy.

From pin 1 it's red, white, green, black. The next row is the same. The labels should be VCC, -5v, +5v, GND

The second row just line up with the first in the same order.

Redeemed
11-11-07, 01:55 AM
The order for usb is quite easy.

From pin 1 it's red, white, green, black. The next row is the same. The labels should be VCC, -5v, +5v, GND

The second row just line up with the first in the same order.

Is it really that simple? If so, thanks. That's precisely what I was hoping for. :D

einstein_314
11-11-07, 02:32 AM
As it's been said.....read the motherboard manual. It should have a picture of the USB headers and say which pins are what. Then just match up them up.

Starscream
11-11-07, 01:16 PM
Is it really that simple? If so, thanks. That's precisely what I was hoping for. :D

Yes it really is that simple.

Rytr
11-11-07, 02:47 PM
Just don't use the #9 pin (last pin) on the first row. The #10 pin (last pin) on the second row is missing. Just the first 4 pins in each row as has been listed (VCC, -5v, +5v, GND starting with the #1 pin in the first row)
I cannot remember the explaination for why the #9 pin is still included as it is not used but you want to avoid connecting to it.

Redeemed
11-11-07, 06:25 PM
Just don't use the #9 pin (last pin) on the first row. The #10 pin (last pin) on the second row is missing. Just the first 4 pins in each row as has been listed (VCC, -5v, +5v, GND starting with the #1 pin in the first row)
I cannot remember the explaination for why the #9 pin is still included as it is not used but you want to avoid connecting to it.

Thank you for this tip. :D

Bearclaw
11-11-07, 07:30 PM
Is this for the extreme aerocool? If so, that thing was a ***** to hook up. Out of the 4 cases I have personally owned and multiple cases I have worked on, it was just terribly organized with those wires and ya.

Redeemed
11-11-07, 07:33 PM
Is this for the extreme aerocool? If so, that thing was a ***** to hook up. Out of the 4 cases I have personally owned and multiple cases I have worked on, it was just terribly organized with those wires and ya.

lol- thanks. Now I *really* know why you sold it to me. :p

And actually, I really like this case. The layout and design seems really rather well done in regards of airflow. My next case will be one that was no doubt inspired by this case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811294003

Bearclaw
11-11-07, 08:28 PM
lol- thanks. Now I *really* know why you sold it to me. :p

And actually, I really like this case. The layout and design seems really rather well done in regards of airflow. My next case will be one that was no doubt inspired by this case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811294003
Haha, don't get me wrong - the case is excellent as far as design, airflow, and everything else. The only thing that was a con on it were those wires. :o