View Full Version : F^%# Acronis!!

Technoholic
11-12-07, 01:36 AM
I KNOW I did it properly.

I'm just so OUT OF MY MIND right now.

To clarify:
I used Acronis Disk Director Suite, latest version
I have C drive, 250gig harddrive.
I have D drive AND E drive on 320gig harddrive.

To start with...
Originally, I had D drive as a whole 320gig. But with other threads you see me posting, I have problems. But lately, it has been a success. I have split the 320gig harddrive, so which gives me D and E drives.

I wanted to format D drive. Then rebooted... Says NTLDR or something, or other times it say BOOTMGR is missing. I knew something was wrong from there. I tried disabling the 320gig drive just in case. Tried to boot to C drive again, and still stuck. I know I did not used the C drive to format.

So after struggling, I made up my mind to go ahead and format C drive because there was absolutely no way around it. Finally, I got to desktop perfectly right after Vista installs. Then I went to enable the 320gig harddrive.

Suddenly, it just blocks me. It says that a file is missing. I disabled the 320gig again, and I got through. WHY?????

I enabled the 320gig again, and used the XP CD because they have a better formatting system, JUST TO ME!!! And I formatted the D drive, and saved the E drive and it appears that the E drive STILL have all the files there. After formatting the D drive, it STILLL doesn't let me through to Vista windows!! I disabled the 320gig, and I got through.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? And YES, I have the 250gig on PRIORITY harddrives as it SHOULD boot to 250gig. I have NOTHING else on 250gig except a fresh install of Vista.

What am I doing wrong? Please help. :( I spent my whole weekend on this, fighting the problem. And I'm still stuck. :(

If it's just Windows file related that's been sticking on a 320gig harddrive that it should be booted from, how am I suppose to stop it?

Arioch
11-12-07, 02:08 AM
I had some problems with Acronis but they went away on my partition formats when I made sure to do the long format on the drive I was preparing to put Vista on - the quick format caused me problems like you are having.

Technoholic
11-12-07, 02:11 AM
I didn't use quick format.

It appears that the system is simply confused.

After enabling the 320gig harddrive, the system drive changes to D, and the 320gig harddrive becomes C, E.

In DOS Command, how do I force change the drive letter? From C to Z, then D to C.

Right now, with 320gig enabled, it's C and E. And the system is D.

buffbiff21
11-12-07, 02:41 AM
Did you try using Windows to change the drive letter name?

Wait, you can't even boot up?

In DOS Command, how do I force change the drive letter? From C to Z, then D to C.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000515.htm

Technoholic
11-12-07, 02:56 AM
If I disable 320gig, I can get to windows.

I tried two different ways already, and they didn't help

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000515.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q223188

But imagine... I used the DOS Command, especially with Microsoft's way, I changed it but when I restart, it goes back to normal. WTH? :(

buffbiff21
11-12-07, 03:05 AM
Is English your second language? I'm just having a hard time understanding some of what you're saying. I'm not even sure what that last sentence means??????? Sorry man, I read your post three or four times and I'm not getting what you're trying to say.

Technoholic
11-12-07, 03:07 AM
Please, forgive me. :(

It's 4 AM. I'm frustrated, I had a hard time on this over the long weekend.

What I meant to say, when I have 320GB harddrive disabled, I can get into Windows just fine. But when I have it enabled, I can't get in windows.

I followed the Microsoft's method of changing/assigning drive letters via DOS. And after doing so, I rebooted and the change I made didn't stay. Like I changed from C to Z, and after I reboot, the C remains C.

buffbiff21
11-12-07, 03:10 AM
Ah. What about trying something like Partition Magic?

Please, forgive me. :(

Same.. I don't mean to sound harsh.. just a slight interpretation error. I've had experience with Acronis though so I'm trying to help. I know how frustrating Windows can be.

Technoholic
11-12-07, 03:14 AM
I don't think I can do anything with program when I'm in windows. I'm basically stuck, because when I get in Windows with 320GB harddrive disabled, I can't SEE the 320.

Remember, the Windows is ON 250gig.

buffbiff21
11-12-07, 03:23 AM
When you say you can't see it, did you check Device Manager? Format it?

To me, after reading some of your other threads, it sounds like a Vista problem.

Technoholic
11-12-07, 03:24 AM
It looks like it.

But after getting into DISKPART in Command. After I do the job, what do I do next? I mean how do you save it? I thought I might miss something.

Bman212121
11-12-07, 10:51 AM
Was your 320GB drive an OS drive at one point?

If you can boot the 250GB when it's the only drive the 320GB shouldn't be interfering. As long as you didn't have both drive in the pc when you installed your OS it should work fine. If you had both drive in the pc then sometimes windows will put the boot files onto one drive and install the OS on another, or it could also be trying to assign Drive C: to your D: partition when it's trying to boot and causing the pc to go silly.

Slammin
11-12-07, 11:05 AM
Sounds to me that all you need to do is go into the bios and tell it which drive to boot from.

Technoholic
11-12-07, 02:51 PM
I already tried to make my system boot to 250gig, it didn't help. If I did, it will go NTLDR file is missing.

I'm sick with sore throat, I've slept all day, and I have class at 5pm until 10pm, hopefully earlier anyway.

I also have 80GB still laying around, I will hook that up then delete all partitions except 80GB. It will take up a lot of time.

Slammin
11-12-07, 02:56 PM
Grab EasyBCD. You can use it to manage your MBR.

It sounds like both drives have an MBR but the MBR on the 250gb drive is not aware of the OS you actually want to run.

Technoholic
11-12-07, 03:00 PM
I remember seeing MBR on all partitions when I pop in XP CD. You say I could grab EasyBCD and manage my MBR, where do I manage my MBR? In Windows or in BIOS?

I think what would be the best, probably long way, but...

Hook up 80GB harddrive, then install OS on whichever, so I could transfer all files I want to save on to 80GB. Then disconnect 80GB and save it. Then format everything on 250gig and 320gig, and then disconnect all and clear CMOS. Then hook up 250, install OS. Then 320gig, then 80gig.

Is that fine? It may be long, but it's easier for me.