PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on console games website for parents

christos
11-13-07, 08:13 AM
Guys this is a little off topic, but I would like your opinions/advice.

To summarize: in my spare time this past summer, I came up with an idea for a website and put many hours into building it. The site is basically a parent's guide to the 360/PS3/Wii games that their children play. The site is currently up and in beta stage. I planned to email a newsletter every Tuesday informing parents of the games arriving to stores that week and specifically, the content they should be aware of as it relates to their children. The site would also feature forums and an online database of the games. I was hoping to offer a premium membership for $4.95/month as the site has no ads and I would not be selling email addresses/etc.

Last night on Joystiq, I read IGN just launched 'gamestheyplay.com', which is basically the same thing as what I am working on, but with obviously more features and content. Also, I found out Gamepro has a beta site called 'gameprofamily.com'.

Obviously, as the sole person working on this site in his spare time, I cannot compete with the big boys.

My question is should I:

a) Give up on my site and attempt to sell IGN and Gamepro the 6 or so domain names that I own, which in my opinion are more generic and better than 'gamestheyplay.com'.

or

b) Figure out some sort of unique service that I, as a small site could offer parents, which they can not, and use that as a selling point.

Thanks.

EciDemon
11-13-07, 08:31 AM
Guys this is a little off topic, but I would like your opinions/advice.

To summarize: in my spare time this past summer, I came up with an idea for a website and put many hours into building it. The site is basically a parent's guide to the 360/PS3/Wii games that their children play. The site is currently up and in beta stage. I planned to email a newsletter every Tuesday informing parents of the games arriving to stores that week and specifically, the content they should be aware of as it relates to their children. The site would also feature forums and an online database of the games. I was hoping to offer a premium membership for $4.95/month as the site has no ads and I would not be selling email addresses/etc.

Last night on Joystiq, I read IGN just launched 'gamestheyplay.com', which is basically the same thing as what I am working on, but with obviously more features and content. Also, I found out Gamepro has a beta site called 'gameprofamily.com'.

Obviously, as the sole person working on this site in his spare time, I cannot compete with the big boys.

My question is should I:

a) Give up on my site and attempt to sell IGN and Gamepro the 6 or so domain names that I own, which in my opinion are more generic and better than 'gamestheyplay.com'.

or

b) Figure out some sort of unique service that I, as a small site could offer parents, which they can not, and use that as a selling point.

Thanks.

I'd try to offer something the others do not. Perhaps articles and such on games targeted for young people, or how mature rated games affect kids.
There are loads of gaming sites around and more then enugh material out there. So Im not one to ask if you should go a head or not. Im "grown up" but no parrent, so it would prolly not be something for me. I however do belive that parrents in general should consern them selves more about what kids do in front of the TV all day long.
Personally I dont think games affect people unless there's already something wrong with the person in question. I don't belive in blindly following age recommendations, but one should always apply common sence.
I think it seems like a good idea, and if I was a parrent, i could see my self using such a service, as it's hard to keep up with everything in the gaming industry. Dunno if i'd pay for it, as I grew up with computers/consoles and games so I have enugh insight to draw resonable conclutions in the matter.

Stoneyguy
11-13-07, 09:09 AM
Continue doing what your doing. Also keep an eye on what they are doing. Make your site unique and offer a way for parents to leave opinions on the games. Inform the groups that have an interest in this area that you have a site that will cater to them. See how it goes after about a year or two and then make a decision on the matter.

CaptNKILL
11-13-07, 09:55 AM
The big guys will never have very personal sites.

Make your site feel more personal and in touch with individuals and you'll have something no big corporate site can have.

If you ever decide to give it up, you'll have an active base of people typing in your domain names, or at the very least you'll still have domains that could be worth money. Either way, your domains will only increase in value unless you somehow make a site that gets a bad reputation and people avoid (which isn't likely).

I say go for it.

If it doesn't work out, sell your domains later.