PDA

View Full Version : Is Vista and SLI Stable & worth the effort?

HYBRID
11-13-07, 08:17 AM
I wanted to know if its worth the effort to go SLI now I would need a motherboard upgrade as well, but has there been an improvement in going SLI under Vista or not?

If I decide I would like a smooth transition, and not run into hardware or driver issues.

Thanks in advanced guys.

odin20
11-13-07, 10:54 AM
been using 2 8800gtx's for awhile in Vista and with all the hotfixes installed it works fine.
A little slower than xp but nothing you will notice, and every driver seems to make it faster to a degree.

[EOCF] Tim
11-13-07, 11:01 AM
I'm having a great time, UT3, Gears, NFS Pro street, they all work fine. :)

HYBRID
11-13-07, 03:23 PM
what motherboard do you guys recommend? thanks again for the quick responces.

odin20
11-13-07, 04:12 PM
if it was me i would wait 3 weeks for the 780i and see what it offers, so close to it why not wait. If its not great you could always pick up a 680 sli cheap.
I reccomend abit but then ive always had good luck with them.

MUFC4EVER
11-13-07, 04:37 PM
NO and probably no.

I installed the 169.04 driver and after a few days it completely screwed my Vista install. I dual boot so big deal.

SLI in XP is WAY WAY WAY faster and more stable than Vista. In most Vista games SLI doesn't even work even when they tell you it does!!

I've taken out one of my cards and got the same fps!

Nvidia are lying to us as are ATI as both companies drivers for Vista are utter utter crap. Look at the numerous posts on the forums asking for decent drivers.

The experience in the Crysis demo is appalling in DX10 and now the 169.09's from Nvidia cheat at the expense of quality LOL!!

TBH DX10 is a major fraud and this is what Governments should be going after MS for, not other issues IMHO.

All Vista gamers should campaign for their money back. Why buy a new OS when the games run crap?

[EOCF] Tim
11-13-07, 04:59 PM
NO and probably no.

I installed the 169.04 driver and after a few days it completely screwed my Vista install. I dual boot so big deal.

SLI in XP is WAY WAY WAY faster and more stable than Vista. In most Vista games SLI doesn't even work even when they tell you it does!!

Nvidia are lying to us as are ATI as both companies drivers for Vista are utter utter crap. Look at the numerous posts on the forums asking for decent drivers.

The experience in the Crysis demo is appalling in DX10 and now the 169.09's from Nvidia cheat at the expense of quality LOL!!

TBH DX10 is a major fraud and this is what Governments should be going after MS for, not other issues IMHO.

All Vista gamers should campaign for their money back. Why buy a new OS when the games run crap?

Runs fine here mate, dunno what games you are playing?

Slammin
11-13-07, 09:23 PM
ditto. Sli w/Vista64 working great for me too.

FearMeAll
11-13-07, 09:55 PM
NO and probably no.

you are full of crap. I dual boot and can't tell the difference at all between vista and xp. the fps differences in sli are 1-2fps if that. yes I will agree that pretty much most of the directx10 path games are downright broken with the fps they get but that's why u force the directx9 path and there is NO difference between vista and xp.
crysis runs buttery silky smooth on high at 1920x1200 4xfsaa and 16x aniso on my rig on vista64. Very high no way it's downright broken and high still looks better than other games out.
sli works in vista you just don't know how to configure your pc.

[EOCF] Tim
11-14-07, 01:46 AM
you are full of crap. I dual boot and can't tell the difference at all between vista and xp. the fps differences in sli are 1-2fps if that. yes I will agree that pretty much most of the directx10 path games are downright broken with the fps they get but that's why u force the directx9 path and there is NO difference between vista and xp.
crysis runs buttery silky smooth on high at 1920x1200 4xfsaa and 16x aniso on my rig on vista64. Very high no way it's downright broken and high still looks better than other games out.
sli works in vista you just don't know how to configure your pc.

Sorry, but I call BS on the Crysis bit, I can't even get it smooth at 1680x without AA and AF. SLI GTX's at ultra clocks. And that's on all high.

FearMeAll
11-14-07, 06:13 AM
Tim']Sorry, but I call BS on the Crysis bit, I can't even get it smooth at 1680x without AA and AF. SLI GTX's at ultra clocks. And that's on all high.
run it in directx9 mode on high not very high and it is very very smooth. I'll post a few screens later.
I just took some fraps shots but can't upload my pics because they are too big. I have a legal copy of photoshop elements and then I can shrink the filesize down. gotta go to work now but I just took a bunch of shots that were pegged at 30fps in wide open areas with a minimum of 26fps with explosions going on. this all at 1920x1200 4xfsaa and 16 aniso working. I will even post at 1680x1050 and boy it runs much faster then.

[EOCF] Tim
11-14-07, 07:11 AM
run it in directx9 mode on high not very high and it is very very smooth. I'll post a few screens later.
I just took some fraps shots but can't upload my pics because they are too big. I have a legal copy of photoshop elements and then I can shrink the filesize down. gotta go to work now but I just took a bunch of shots that were pegged at 30fps in wide open areas with a minimum of 26fps with explosions going on. this all at 1920x1200 4xfsaa and 16 aniso working. I will even post at 1680x1050 and boy it runs much faster then.

Cool, is that on Vista64 aswell? I probably have to resort to DX9 for the full game, to enjoy it smoothly. :)

odin20
11-14-07, 10:00 AM
with the 169.09 drivers i can run crysis playable in sli with 2 8800gtx's with everything on very high in dx10 but it does have the occasional slow down, if i turn post processing down to high and shadows to high its easily playable and never slows for me.

HYBRID
11-14-07, 11:10 AM
if it was me i would wait 3 weeks for the 780i and see what it offers, so close to it why not wait. If its not great you could always pick up a 680 sli cheap.
I reccomend abit but then ive always had good luck with them.

Ive read a few post on 680I issue....so I will stay away from that.

Is there any real world benefits that the 780i chipset brings to the table? well....maybe better stability?

FearMeAll
11-14-07, 03:21 PM
Tim']Cool, is that on Vista64 aswell? I probably have to resort to DX9 for the full game, to enjoy it smoothly. :)
that is your best bet I'm afraid. just add "-dx9" to the shortcut and hope for the best. and yes I run the 64bit version so that might be squeezing a few frames more I don't know.
It is very sad how much directx10 seems to drop performance in most of the games that use it (save lost planet and call of juarez). I was hoping for new high end cards but it looks as though this will not happen any time soon.
see here http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20071111232526_Triple_SLI_Nvidia_s_Focus_for_Now_S ays_Chief_Executive.html

unfortunately the "high end" is going to be triple sli...like that's the solution to directx10 performance problems. I love sli as much as the next guy but come on. A whole new motherboard where you can't even put a good sound card on? I throw away thousands of bucks on pc upgrades a year but even I find this to be a little bit absurd since it would certainly be time for a new card by now. Seems like they are just milking the 8800's for all they are worth. Just doesn't seem like a very elegant solution for the graphics of 2008. :o
I may be tempted if they can get a board that can still fit my x-fi card but I'd much rather keep my pc at 2 cards maximum..
till that day it's directx9 mode only for me. :D

FearMeAll
11-14-07, 03:23 PM
Ive read a few post on 680I issue....so I will stay away from that.

Is there any real world benefits that the 780i chipset brings to the table? well....maybe better stability?
I've been hearing this as well and knew nothing about these issues till after my purchase. I think I've been lucky but I'm not an insane overclocker. I think if you stay somewhat reasonable with your clocks the 680i boards are fine. :)
can't say I have had a single issue since install.

HYBRID
11-14-07, 04:18 PM
I've been hearing this as well and knew nothing about these issues till after my purchase. I think I've been lucky but I'm not an insane overclocker. I think if you stay somewhat reasonable with your clocks the 680i boards are fine. :)
can't say I have had a single issue since install.

I think I may wait for a few review of the 780I before I make a move Christmas around the corner, and lots of expenses so well see. thanks again to all that have responded.

ChrisRay
11-14-07, 10:43 PM
SLI and Vista use the same profiles and rendering algorithims that XP uses. Before April this those rendering algorithims werent fully in place. However now you can expect to get similar performance to that of XP as they all use the same rendering profiles.

The only real exception being is that Vista does not officially expose SLIAA yet while XP does. However there are plenty of ways to get this enabled. If you ever have any trouble with SLI in paticular. I urge all SLI users to come check out slizone. If your game isnt scaling I will at least find out why or most likely get your software to scale.

Chris

HYBRID
11-15-07, 10:27 AM
Thanks Chris been awhile since I seen you post here. Anyway do you have a motherboard that you would recommend today that is not trouble some with Vista and running an SLI rig?

ChrisRay
11-15-07, 12:45 PM
For Core 2 Duo. 680I is probably the best board. But it wont be long before that changes.

Chris