PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Disappointment of the Year? Biggest Surprise?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Tygerwoody
11-13-07, 11:02 AM
Although this past month we have been graced with many many great games, this past year we have been littered with quite a few VERY bad games that were promised to be great.

Biggest Disappointment of the year for me?

Its a tie. HellGate: London and Quake Wars were absolutely dreadful. I know there are still people out there who are pretending like these games are worth their salt, but they are all kidding themselves. Both games will be forgotten about in a month.

Biggest Surprise?(as in game I thought wouldn't be so good, that ended up being good)

This is a tie as well. Mario Galaxy I honestly didn't think would work out. Its turning out to be one of the best console games I've played this year. Team Fortress 2 is another game that surprised me. Although I knew this game would be GOOD, I was completely shocked that this would be my FAVORITE game of the year. This game has so much replayability its insane. Definitely up there with counterstrike in terms of replayability(and i seriously doubt you'll EVER hear me say that again as CounterStrike's replayability is hard to mimic).

CaptNKILL
11-13-07, 11:06 AM
Not sure about let downs... Though I think after the first couple hours Bioshock was extremely run of the mill and repetitive considering the developer's past games and all of the praise it received for being unique.

As far as surprises... Portal.

I always thought it'd be "neat" but it turned out to be an EXCELLENT game. A short and sweet romp, 100% enjoyment, even to the end of the credits and back to the main menu (the cake).

We'll be seeing more of this one for sure.

EDIT: grammar. eek. :p

Tygerwoody
11-13-07, 11:09 AM
Not sure about let downs... Though I think after the first couple hours Bioshock was extremely run of the mill and repetitive considering the developer's past games and all of the praise it received for being unique.

Bioshock was just hyped to high hell. Even though it might not have been what it was hyped up to be, all in all it was still a great game. Quake Wars and HellGate were both terrible games.

And yes you are right about Portal. Fantastic.

LordJuanlo
11-13-07, 11:12 AM
Biggest surprise is Portal, no doubt about it. And the biggest disappointment are, as every year, EA Sports games on PC, because they have ported (AGAIN) PS2 versions instead of 360.

Revs
11-13-07, 11:12 AM
Biggest Disappointment of the Year? Maybe Halo 3, same old...

Biggest Surprise? Portal for sure!

agentkay
11-13-07, 11:15 AM
Biggest surprise - The Witcher.

jeffmd
hmm, biggest surprise. Portal most likely, but World in conflict would be a close second.

Dissappointment, while quake war currently has the honor here, I am expecting NFS:pro street to grab this one. Wont give final say yet.

Tygerwoody
I forgot Vanguard. Add that to biggest disappointments as well.

CaptNKILL
11-13-07, 11:16 AM
Biggest surprise - The Witcher.
I was thinking of that, but honestly, its pretty much what I thought it'd be.

Better than I anticipated, but overall, its what I expected. :)

Same with STALKER.

Which I haven't finished yet either. :o

It seems like the only games I have time to finish any more are the ones that are only a few hours long.

Mostly just old or freeware games. Portals is pretty much the only recent single player game I've completed in the past 6 months. :o :o

bob saget
11-13-07, 11:21 AM
i dont think quake wars was that bad. To be honest, i have not played a "new gen" game that is BAD so far.

ArrowMk84
11-13-07, 11:31 AM
I've got agree with Hellgate London and Quake Wars being disappoints, as well as DirectX 10 in general. I wanted to like Hellgate and Quake Wars, but the demos and betas left me thoroughly unimpressed. In Quake War's case, yeah, Battlefield ripped them off, but EA/DICE executed a whole lot better.

And while DX10 looks pretty, where's the promised performance increase? But I'm sure this situation will improve in future games and hardware.

As for surprises, I'll agree with TF2 and Portal, and add Neverwinter Nights: Mask of the Betrayer, the Witcher, and Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance.

TF2 is just pure, concentrated fun. As long as Valve puts out more maps for it, and the community keeps improving their maps, this game is going to have one long life. The best part, though, is that there's a class for just about every play style.

I didn't expect much out of Portal, but wow, did we get a lot. While I'm sure some will argue about its price point, Portal is the first PC puzzle game I've ever enjoyed.

NWN:MotB completely blows away the original campaign. It's very personal story, meaningful companions (unlike the OC scrubs) and real consequences made for one hell of a game, and restored my faith in Obsidian. It even gave me flashbacks to BG2: Throne of Baal.

The Witcher is a big surprise. I don't expect much out of East European devs, but Poles really delivered on this on. Bethesda really needs to pay attention to the Witcher and relearn how to do a proper RPG. The Witcher is a serious GOTY contender.

While I liked Supreme Commander, it failed to recapture the Total Annihilation magic, mainly because of the lame AI. Forged Alliance fixes the problem in a big way! While some will complain about a paper thin story, or that all of the factions play in similar way, they're missing the bigger picture. This game is about blowing **** up in a grand way. I haven't had this much fun since 1997! Now if some one would port the Vulcan cannon and the Burning Woods map from TA, I'd be in complete explosive bliss!

Edited because everyone else types too fast! :)

fiskadoro
11-13-07, 11:59 AM
I think it's been a truly excellent year.

Biggest surprises include...

Timeshift: yep, seriously, nothing original but i thought it was a lot of fun

Portal: because usually when I hear the word "puzzles" I cringe, but Portal has changed my perception of that!

Call of Duty 4: really, I hoped it'd be good, I didn't realize it'd be GREAT!

Sega Rally: again, I had no expectations at all, but this turned out to be a top notch ARCADE (stressing the arcade bit) racer.

Biggest disappointments include...

Jericho: what happened there? it may be a linear shooter like Timeshift but it claimed to be so different, and I think that's why it sucked. It was also distinctly lacking in scary moments.

Test Drive Unlimited: was that this year? Oh boy, Atari really dropped the ball with this one, it could've been a contender.

Medal of Honor Airborne: the "land anywhere complete missions anyway you like" aspect was a bit of a scam in the end.

DiRT: Did this want to be a simulation or an arcade racer? Why was Travis Pastrana so annoying? Why could I barely get this to run even at medium settings on an 8800GTX (yep, sound issues). This one also had such potential, and will most likely be the last Colin McCrae title (RIP Colin).

Having just started to play Crysis, which seems to be living up to they hype, and stuff like Unreal Tournament 3 still on the horizon, there's definitely going to be a chance to revisit this thread in December!

Lfctony
11-13-07, 12:04 PM
Biggest Disappointment for me was Clive Barker's Jericho. I ended up playing the thing using a trainer because I couldn't be bothered... :(

nekrosoft13
11-13-07, 12:19 PM
Hard to pick the biggest stinker aka disappointment. So here is a list and the reasons why.

1) Hellgate - we all knew that it supposed to be like Diablo, but it turned out a bit worse then that.

2) NFS ProStreet - it was hyped to be the best NFS game. But in fact, it could be one of the worst.

3) Quake Wars - tried to copy BF series, failed.

4) Live being forced into GoW. Thank you MS/Epic you saved me $50.

5) Jericho - was hyped to be next Undying, with deep scary story. and its not

Biggest Suprise

Portal, very fun game, but way to short.

The Witcher is also a nice suprise, i knew it would be good. BUT NOT THIS GOOD!!

Go CD Projekt RED, the next Bioware

m3dude
11-13-07, 12:20 PM
biggest disappointment - ut3 being one of the worst games ive ever played.

adv1
11-13-07, 12:38 PM
I was not expecting to like Quake Wars much but I was really surprised how good it turned out to be. At first I thought it was going to be just another BF2142 (which I didn't like much), but it's much more interesting to play and a lot of fun.

Although the UT3 beta demo disappointed me at first, it's now grown on me and I think the full game will be good fun, just not anything groundbreaking. NFS ProStreet seems like a big letdown judging by the demo.

Destroy
11-13-07, 12:51 PM
If I only get to pick one...

Downer
Jericho - not even CLOSE to being scary or anything great like Undying was

Uppers
The Witcher - simply top notch in every aspect

GOTY
Crysis - its so far ahead than anyone elses game in so many ways (physics, graphics, AI) and the suit powers adds brilliant amounts of gameplay to the FarCry style

Richteralan
11-13-07, 12:53 PM
For me it will be Gears of the war. :lol:
I can't even get savegames to work:lol:

Eliminator
11-13-07, 01:52 PM
Biggest disappointment: Gears of War
- crashes within 30 seconds

Biggest Surprise: Call of Duty 4
- some amazing gameplay but very short

ASUSEN7900GTX
11-13-07, 01:56 PM
disapointments
quake wars
Crysis (demo wise) donīt expect the retail to be anymore than the Demo
World in COnflict well not what i thought it to be
Command &Conquer 3 not what i was expecting

Supprises COD 4 didnīt and couldnīt have imagined it to be as col as it was
TIMESHIFT absolutley a supprise
since i donīt have the orange box i canīt say much about any of the games in it

well thatīs about it

Severian126
11-13-07, 01:58 PM
BIGGEST SURPRISE: The Witcher - wow, I don't keep up with news on this, so I was pleasantly surprised to find out how good this game really is. It's too bad the loading sucks, but easily overlooked due to the sheer enjoyment from the game itself.

BIGGEST DISSAPOINTMENT: Crysis. Tried the demo, didn't like it, and was expecting a lot more due to hype. Not complaining about the graphics, but gameplay wise it's just another shooter to me. Yeah, I know I'm most likely the minority, but oh well.

ralinn
11-13-07, 01:59 PM
Up: CoD4
From the early videos I watched, it seemed like it lost the CoD spark and turned into some mindless shooter. I couldn't have been more wrong.

Down: Bioshock
Bloody hell I loved the demo so much, I really couldn't wait to play the full game. I wish I didn't spend Ģ30 on it, it really did bored me to death. It could have been so good!

GOTY: Crysis
Simply stunning. The only thing that marks it down for me are the bugs and (lack of) optimisation.

zoomy942
11-13-07, 02:00 PM
biggest disappointment was Guild Wars Nightfall. that game just didnt do anything for me. ( and i love Guild Wars)

Biggest surprise is probably Wii Sports. who knew i'd still have fun playing a tech demo a year later?

ASUSEN7900GTX
11-13-07, 02:01 PM
BIGGEST DISSAPOINTMENT: Crysis. Tried the demo, didn't like it, and was expecting a lot more due to hype. Not complaining about the graphics, but gameplay wise it's just another shooter to me. Yeah, I know I'm most likely the minority, but oh well.

yeah i Agree it was so hyped that once it came it was like well is this it

so yes it was so hyped that there was no way in hell it could live up to it another shooter yes with some changes from the ordinary but more that that no

Tr1cK
11-13-07, 02:03 PM
Too many disappointments to list IMO. You know who you are though.

Best surprise for me has been TF2. I haven't had this much fun in YEARS. I truly appreciate the artistic style they took with the game and focused on gameplay>graphics. I can't comment on Portal because I didn't get the Orange box.