PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia Display Driver Service?

Elvin Presler
11-13-07, 05:05 PM
Does anyone know what this "Nvidia Display Driver Service" even does? I usually disable it and have found no side effects.

I also wonder about the 3 registry entries the drivers add under [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run]

I assume NvCplDaemon has to do with the control pannel, but nwiz? Media Center?

Anyone know?

Eliminator
11-13-07, 05:16 PM
the media centre you can safely turn off from your startup... the display driver nobody seems to know exactly but i always leave it on just to be on the safe side... it only eats up 4mb of ram and doesnt use up the cpu at all

Elvin Presler
11-13-07, 05:43 PM
I usually disable the service and delete the nwiz and media center registry entries and have not seen any problem with it. I usually use the older drivers like 8456 or 9424 with the old CP though too and just wanted to see if I could learn anything new while using these bloated garbage (since I am running a single 7800GS AGP on XP) newer drivers.

I'm having to use the new betas now though because Timeshift crashes while loading up the shaders, every time, with anything older than 169.04 on my system. I hate the new drivers, and the new control panel. No matter what I do after setting them to use "fixed aspect ratio" because I have a wide screen, they reset themselves back to something else. The new CP is slow and sloppy, no temp monitoring, bugs and glitches. Hate them, but have to use them :(