PDA

View Full Version : Fitting a Zalman VF900-CU GPU cooler to my 8800 GT!(with pics)

Pages : [1] 2

ATOJAR
11-14-07, 03:30 PM
Ok having bought my 8800 GT and seeing what a great card it is, the only thing that lets the cards down it the really bad single slot cooler they(nVIDIA)have mounted! .... my card idled at 55c - 60c and load temps at 85c+ and thats with the fan speed at 60%(i have decent case cooling) .... i decided the temps where way to high and i had enough, i bought me a zalman VF900-CU GPU cooler along with some AS5, some small MOSFET(memory heatsinks) and some thermal tape! as i speak the card is only half finished & im just waiting for the cooler to arrive tomorrow, the card is all set, cleaned and ready for the cooler to be fitted! heres my little project so far.(below is the card with stock cooler on)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/ATOJAR/Withfan.jpg

Ok as you can see above is the card as i bought it, with the stock cooler still fitted! i removed the 12 screws from the back and removed the heatsink(see below pic), by far the trickiest part so far was removing the the actual power lead plug for the fan that leads from the stock fan\heatsink to the GPU board! having removed this i set about cleaning up the board.(below is the board all cleaned and ready to be worked on, with the fan power plug still attached)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/ATOJAR/Naked.jpg

Having the above all sorted i set about fitting the heatsinks i bought from maplins(a electrical store) .. these heatsinks are NOT supplied with the Zalman VF900-CU GPU cooler, the only heatsink supplied with the VF900 are 8 memory heatsinks and as you can see there are 8 memory chips on the board!(below are the components that are under the heatsinks, highlighted in red, these components NEED to be cooled with heatsinks)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/ATOJAR/zalman1.jpg

I took two of the heatsinks and cleaned the thermal sticky tape from the bottom, i then took a piece of my own thermal tape(Sekisui double-sided Thermal tape), cut it the width and length of two of heatsinks togeather and stuck two heatsinks to this tape, this made the two heatsinks as one bigger heatsink as you can see from the below pic(the two bigger heatsinks of the four on the board) .... i stuck these two on first i then set about sticking the two thinner ones on the board also!(see below)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/ATOJAR/Withmosfetheatsinks.jpg

Ok, now my new VF900-CU cooler has arrived its time to get down to buisness, Ok next i took the zalman memory heatsinks and removed the white thermal pads from the bottom of each one, i then applied my own Sekisui double-sided Thermal tape, this i figured would result in better contact and lower temps, below you can see the card, my new VF900-CU cooler and two memory heatsinks, take note of the one on the right, this is the white thermal padding(similar to that what comes on the stock cooler memory) ... its pretty thick stuff, also take note of the ram heatsink on the left, this is the cooler with my own Sekisui double-sided Thermal tape applied..... i set about applying the thermal tape to all of the memory heatsinks and then fitting the ram sinks to the memory chips!(see below pic)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/ATOJAR/fanramsinks.jpg

Ok i then applied some AS5 to the GPU chip and set about fitting the actual VF900-CU cooler, i didnt fit the zalman fanmate2 controller, i figured this would result in the fan spinning at full speed and its still no louder that the stock fan at stock speed, i cant hear then fan at all.(see below for fully fitted VF900-CU cooler, quite sweet if you ask me :D)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/ATOJAR/fullyinstalled.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/ATOJAR/sideview.jpg

Now for some results, ok as i speak the central heating is on and the room is pretty hot so the temps will be alittle higher than normal!

Ok with stock clock speeds of 675MHz clock core, 1674MHz shader clock & 975MHz on the memory.

Before the card idled around 55c - 60c(usually closer to 60c)& 85c - 90c(usually closer to 90c) under atitool 30 minutes load.

New temps with the Zalman VF900-CU fitted are, 45c - 47c idle & 75c max atitool 30 minutes load, as i said the room is pretty warm right now so under normal room temps they would be lower overall temps, even still job well done if you ask me. :D

stevemedes
11-14-07, 03:40 PM
Slick job! That should really improve the cooling and noise level. Can't wait to see it with the Zalman strapped to her.

methimpikehoses
11-14-07, 05:02 PM
How did you dispose of the half gallon of paste that came slathered on the GPU? Mine's in a five gallon bucket out back. ;)

ATOJAR
11-14-07, 05:40 PM
How did you dispose of the half gallon of paste that came slathered on the GPU? Mine's in a five gallon bucket out back. ;)

Lol, no joke there m8, well actually yeah ..... the amount of thermal compound on there was a joke!

Tuork
11-14-07, 05:56 PM
OOOhh... shiny copper!

I'm eager to see the result. It's a shame such a nice graphics card has such a simple heatsink/fan. The quieter, the better, I always say!

ATOJAR
11-15-07, 05:37 PM
Ok guys ive updated my origional post with updated pics, temps ect! :D

Logical
11-15-07, 05:44 PM
Wow good job m8, the depth of the card still looks slimmer than a 8800GTX with stock cooler.

ATOJAR
11-15-07, 05:44 PM
BTW am i right in thinking that not connecting the zalman fanmate2 will result in the fan spinning at full speed?

methimpikehoses
11-15-07, 05:46 PM
Ok guys ive updated my origional post with updated pics, temps ect! :D

Nice little mini-guide there... good solutions. :clap:

This should come in handy for folks looking to tweak their GT's to acceptable temp levels.

I vote for a sticky.

sammy sung
11-15-07, 06:53 PM
Well done ATOJAR :thumbsup: Nice temps,idle is lower than my GTX .Im at 51c atm idle ,65-75 load.

ATOJAR
11-16-07, 05:02 AM
Right so i decided to try some overclocks, the max overclocks i could get rock stable are as follows.

771MHz clock core
1836MHz shader clock
for the momory im not willing to push it past 1000MHz(2.0GHz)

After running both ATITool artifact scanner & rthdribl at the same time for on hour with the above clock speeds the max load temp was 71c!

john19055
11-16-07, 06:07 AM
It will run at full speed without the controler ,but It is not loud at full speed anyway IMO.

g1dtf
11-16-07, 07:05 AM
What was the order code for the heatsinks you purchased from Maplins.

Andy.

ATOJAR
11-16-07, 08:02 AM
What was the order code for the heatsinks you purchased from Maplins.

Andy.

Order code:- A36GF

Here they are :)

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=98850&doy=16m11

Spyvie
11-16-07, 10:08 AM
Hi, thanks for the post and the pics, I just had to register and ask a dumb question...

I was thinking about doing the same thing to my XFX 8800GT, but I'm wondering if AS Ceramic would work better than thermal tape for securing the heatsinks?

There is a tube of Ceramic around here somewhere, but no thermal tape...

ATOJAR
11-16-07, 10:32 AM
If you try to use AS5 alone the heatsinks would just fall off!

Just use the thermal tape\pads that are already on the heatsinks.

Spyvie
11-16-07, 01:17 PM
My badd, I thought the Ceramique product was a kind of cement. I have a tube here I've never used so I thought I'd ask.

I just went to the AS site, you are apparently correct.

ATOJAR
11-16-07, 03:02 PM
I just went to the AS site, you are apparently correct.

Of course i am! :p ...

ATOJAR
11-17-07, 11:43 AM
Up to here so far, no voltage mod ect! ... again the room is pretty hot!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/ATOJAR/overclock.jpg

Airbrushkid
11-17-07, 11:48 AM
You know you gould higher if you used a different heatsink.

ATOJAR
11-17-07, 11:50 AM
You know you gould higher if you used a different heatsink.

Nothing wrong with my VF900-CU! .... ive had the clock core at 771MHz and still only got to 79c load .... the card would go alot higher than that with the stock cooler at stock speeds.

jolle
11-17-07, 11:52 AM
BTW am i right in thinking that not connecting the zalman fanmate2 will result in the fan spinning at full speed?
Um.. I would guess it will run a speed based on what the driver is setting, as long as its connected to the card.
So if you set it to 100% speed all the time it will, I guess.

Btw, you connected the Zalman to the connector on the card?
I recall I couldnt do that with my VF700 on my Gigabyte 6800GT, had to run it off a molex from the PSU instead, used the "full speed" connector and it was silent anyway.

Got a 8800GT ordered, but the date keeps getting pushed back.
If the fan turns out annoying Ill prolly put one of these on it (or would my old VF700 fit?)

ATOJAR
11-17-07, 11:59 AM
Um.. I would guess it will run a speed based on what the driver is setting, as long as its connected to the card.
So if you set it to 100% speed all the time it will, I guess.

Btw, you connected the Zalman to the connector on the card?
I recall I couldnt do that with my VF700 on my Gigabyte 6800GT, had to run it off a molex from the PSU instead, used the "full speed" connector and it was silent anyway.

Got a 8800GT ordered, but the date keeps getting pushed back.
If the fan turns out annoying Ill prolly put one of these on it (or would my old VF700 fit?)

Where did i say i connected the fan to the card? they are two totally different connections! ....

As far as i know the VF700 should fit but i would look into it to be 100% sure if i was you!

jolle
11-17-07, 12:05 PM
Where did i say i connected the fan to the card? they are two totally different connections! ....

As far as i know the VF700 should fit but i would look into it to be 100% sure if i was you!
No I was asking if you did.
So its the same thing as with the VF700 then, different connection.

Then I suppose that if you max the speed on the fanmate, it would run 100%..

ATOJAR
11-17-07, 12:08 PM
No I was asking if you did

Oh right sorry, i just used a adaptor, a molex connector at one end and a 3 pin socket at the other, i am not using the fan controler, cant be bothered messing with stuff like that! .... the fan spins at max speed! .. still silent though.