PDA

View Full Version : Crysis: Enable SLI in 64bit! (169.09)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Grestorn
11-15-07, 09:05 AM
Unfortunately, nVidia forgot to include Crysis' 64bit exe in their SLI driver profile for the Vista64 driver.

Because of that, SLI works only if you start the 32bit exe. But for some reason, the 32bit version feels extremly sluggish on Vista64 (something which should be discussed as well).

The 64bit version works fine, but to get SLI working, you have to add "crysis64.exe" to the already existing profile (by using nHancer for example ;) ).

Here are the results of my tests:

Test settings:

1680x1050, No Tweaks, everything on "VeryHigh" or "High" (as noted at the shots).
C2D@3.2 GHz, 4 GB, Vista64, 2x8800 GTX@stock, SLI as noted on the shots.

SLI off, Very High:
http://www.nhancer.com/downloads/Crysis_VeryHighNoSLI.jpg

SLI on, Very High:
http://www.nhancer.com/downloads/Crysis_VeryHighSLI.jpg

SLI off, High:
http://www.nhancer.com/downloads/Crysis_HighNoSLI.jpg

SLI on, High:
http://www.nhancer.com/downloads/Crysis_HighSLI.jpg

For an extra test to figure out the CPU load of the game, I made a test where all GPU demanding settings were set to "Low", the resolution was reduced to 800x600 and SLI was turned off:

http://www.nhancer.com/downloads/Crysis_Low.jpg

conroejoe
11-15-07, 09:55 AM
No point in SLI with this one. Not worth the money or effort. Its too bad adding a second card only gives you a few FPS.

And that last pic looks like Far Cry haha

Grestorn
11-15-07, 10:01 AM
No point in SLI with this one. Not worth the money or effort. Its too bad adding a second card only gives you a few FPS.

You call an improvement of 17 to 29 fps "not worth the money"?

conroejoe
11-15-07, 10:22 AM
You call an improvement of 17 to 29 fps "not worth the money"?

ROTFLMAO, HELL NO, 29 FPS still isn't playable!!!! And his other screen shot was 31 -> 34 FPS. oooo, 3 FPS... you drop another $500 for a second GTX and would be happy with 29 FPS??? Or some spots that jump 3 FPS???? You gotta be kidding me?

oh yea and since most of us are running the much more stable P35 or x38 chipsets that moving to SLI would not only include the cost of a second card but a new motherboard and the Nvidia chipsets are frankly garbage. So absolutely NOT worth the money and effort like stated before.

Grestorn
11-15-07, 10:46 AM
ROTFLMAO, HELL NO, 29 FPS still isn't playable!!!! And his other screen shot was 31 -> 34 FPS. oooo, 3 FPS... you drop another $500 for a second GTX and would be happy with 29 FPS??? Or some spots that jump 3 FPS???? You gotta be kidding me?

You just want to flame, do you? Get lost.

It doesn't matter if it's playable or not. Just reduce the settings or the resolution. The question is: Does SLI improve the performance. And the answer is: Yes it does, significantly so.

conroejoe
11-15-07, 10:59 AM
You just want to flame, do you? Get lost.

It doesn't matter if it's playable or not. Just reduce the settings or the resolution. The question is: Does SLI improve the performance. And the answer is: Yes it does, significantly so.

You can't be serious!????

You start with unplayable and toss another $650 (second GTX and SLI board) at it. It's still unplayable and you feel it's worth it??????

No, SLI is NOT worth it in Crysis. (Im not talking about in general although i don't feel the gains are still justified - it's not like adding another GTX will double framerate in any game.) Are you gonna really argue this and tell me $650 to upgrade to another GTX and an SLI board is justified if I were to do it today for Crysis???

You stated: You call an improvement of 17 to 29 fps "not worth the money"?

NO, it's not worth the money. And no one with a grain of a brain would argue otherwise. I cannot believe the stupidity this game has brought out in people. Now we are arguing about a $650 upgrade to game at 29 FPS...

lduguay
11-15-07, 11:10 AM
You can't be serious!????

You start with unplayable and toss another $650 (second GTX and SLI board) at it. It's still unplayable and you feel it's worth it??????

Dude, seriously, are you stupid? No, SLI is NOT worth it in Crysis. (Im not talking about in general although i don't feel the gains are still justified - it's not like adding another GTX will double framerate in any game.) Are you gonna really argue this and tell me $650 to upgrade to another GTX and an SLI board is justified if I were to do it today for Crysis???

You stated: You call an improvement of 17 to 29 fps "not worth the money"?

NO, it's not worth the money. And no one with a grain of a brain would argue otherwise.

Conroejoe,
I'm no mod, but i would suggest that you stop being so agressive, otherwise sooner or later you'll get the boot. :ban:
Just a friendly reminder. :)

conroejoe
11-15-07, 11:18 AM
Conroejoe,
I'm no mod, but i would suggest that you stop being so agressive, otherwise sooner or later you'll get the boot. :ban:
Just a friendly reminder. :)

Well cmon this guy is just wrong...

LordJuanlo
11-15-07, 11:30 AM
I don't think anybody will put another $500 for Crysis to get those 29fps at very high, but no doubt if you already have an SLI system, you want both of your cards to work in SLI mode. Grestorn has just provided a fix because nVidia drivers don't have the profile, he's not asking anyone to spend $500, but providing a performance boost to those who have SLI.

I can't believe I need to explain this.

conroejoe
11-15-07, 11:49 AM
I don't think anybody will put another $500 for Crysis to get those 29fps at very high, but no doubt if you already have an SLI system, you want both of your cards to work in SLI mode. Grestorn has just provided a fix because nVidia drivers don't have the profile, he's not asking anyone to spend $500, but providing a performance boost to those who have SLI.

Obviously if you have SLI you want to get the most from it. But as for making SLI look attractive to those that don't, its not.

Grestorn
11-15-07, 11:55 AM
Obviously if you have SLI you want to get the most from it. But as for making SLI look attractive to those that don't, its not.

Obviously, you can't get over your SLI-envy.

odin20
11-15-07, 11:56 AM
Well from what i can see it almost doubles your framerate at very high settings. Usually all sli does is allow you to add higher resolutions and more aa so this is good news for alot of us that want to run it at full eye candy settings.
I see the same as the poster has seen. With sli enabled ive gone from 16 to 20 fps to 35 to 40 on very high.
With vista 32 bit.
But i also see the same improvement on high settings so maybe sli isnt working right on the high settings for him with vista 64?

conroejoe
11-15-07, 12:05 PM
Obviously, you can't get over your SLI-envy.

Yea, funny, I get more FPS than he does with SLI anyways...

hell_of_doom227
11-15-07, 12:15 PM
Crysis in unoptimised poor coded crap. Can't believe so many people got in believe that Crysis is piece of art game. Quad system with SLI video cards performs this crap around 30-35FPS tells me one thing...crytek team should go start reading books and learn how to do proper coding...

hell_of_doom227
11-15-07, 12:17 PM

Actually i'm going to spend $500 more for SLI, but i wont buy neither play Crysis. Btw Crysis has horrible/boring story line anyway...

The game everybody overlooked is Timeshift. They did amazing job, displacement mapping along with parallex mapping and use of SM3.0 is done perfectly...

Grestorn
11-15-07, 12:21 PM
Crysis in unoptimised poor coded crap. Can't believe so many people got in believe that Crysis is piece of art game. Quad system with SLI video cards performs this crap around 30-35FPS tells me one thing...crytek team should go start reading books and learn how to do proper coding...

No, it tells you that they're using effects which current hardware just isn't ready for yet.

The performance is absolutely on par with the quality you get. Reduce some options and you'll get a game which performs just as well as all the current games with graphics that are still in the upper league.

I'm playing Timeshift as well by the way. It looks great, no doubt, but not nearly as well as Crysis. I don't believe they're using Parallax Mapping either.

But the time effects are very nice, indeed.

hell_of_doom227
11-15-07, 12:26 PM
No, it tells you that they're using effects which current hardware just isn't ready for yet.

The performance is absolutely on par with the quality you get. Reduce some options and you'll get a game which performs just as well as all the current games with graphics that are still in the upper league.

I'm playing Timeshift as well by the way. It looks great, no doubt, but not nearly as well as Crysis. I don't believe they're using Parallax Mapping either.

But the time effects are very nice, indeed.

Crysis doesn't use almost any DX10.0 effects. For the most part is DX9.0 card and as I said it's poorly coded. It doesn't take advantage of available hardware at all. Not sure what physics engine they use, but if they wrote their own over Havoc they had to be morons cause they did a poor job.

jAkUp
11-15-07, 12:27 PM

oh yea and since most of us are running the much more stable P35 or x38 chipsets that moving to SLI would not only include the cost of a second card but a new motherboard and the Nvidia chipsets are frankly garbage. So absolutely NOT worth the money and effort like stated before.

30FPS is perfectly playable. Hell most 360 games run at 30FPS.

Everyone pushes for next generation graphics, yet when they cant max it out on hardware that is a year old, they get mad.

Run the game on high, it still looks better than anything out there, when next generation hardware comes out, play it on very high.

Greasy
11-15-07, 12:49 PM
hell_of_doom227 are you a game designer/programmer?

lduguay
11-15-07, 01:21 PM
Probably not, i think he is just pissed.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=101159

methimpikehoses
11-15-07, 01:30 PM
30fps is very playable on Crysis... and you don't need anything more than a 8800gt to get 30fps on high. I think it's optimized pretty well for what it is.

K007
11-15-07, 04:29 PM
Probably not, i think he is just pissed.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=101159

Yes....EA/Crytek should be sued for pushing forward...such a dumb argument.

Anyway..SLI and Vista...the performance still the same as XP?

Revs
11-20-07, 10:02 AM
I'm a nOOb to Vista 64bit and have never used nHancer. Could someone give me a basic guide as to what I need to do to get SLI running good in 64bit. Thanks in advance :D

Please, no more crappy comments and/or flaming. You're buggering a perfectly good thread. No-one gives a crap if you don't like SLI. If ya don't, this is obviously the wrong thread for you aint it? :thumbdwn:

Revs
11-20-07, 10:04 AM
Yes....EA/Crytek should be sued for pushing forward...such a dumb argument.

Anyway..SLI and Vista...the performance still the same as XP?

Correct on both comments :)

And for the record, my mate was running Crysis (on low/medium settings)on a 7600GT/P4 2.8/1.0Gb RAM and it was very playable.

Grestorn
11-20-07, 10:40 AM
Hi Revs,

well, I've read that nVidia made a stealth-update to their 169.09. Supposedly they corrected the Crysis profile to work with 64 as well now.

I haven't checked that, but it's worth a try.

If it doesn't work, you can still come back here and ask again. But there is also a complete manual about nHancer, it's purpose and how it's used on its website (www.nhancer.com).