PDA

View Full Version : I am so frustrated....dammed be DELL!!

Pages : [1] 2

test4echo
11-15-07, 02:00 PM
Alright, I feel i must vent. Please bear with me.

I'm hoping to relieve some stress and maybe just maybe be put in touch with someone who can help for a fee.:D

As you can see by the sig I own a dell XPS 600.
Its been great. No issues.

But now that the Dual cores are out, Dell will not update the bios nor let us at the nforce4 sli chipset to allow the changes needed to support the dual core.

Hell, ntune won't even run properly because they block the program from the chipset.

What I am frustrated about is that I have learned that the hardware is not the issue.
The issue is Bios updates and voltage mods.
All of which the XPS 600 is capable of.

Is there anyone, anyone who is smart enough around here to either explain to me why its so difficult to create an updated bios or hack the damn thing so It will do what I want it to.

At this point I'm building something new so the XPS will be going bye bye soon.
But i'd really love to get a dual core to work in this dammed thing.
The motherboard DOES support it, but dell did not give us the BIOS updates to allow that.

Now, how I can I defeat dell??

test

Tr1cK
11-15-07, 02:10 PM
Figure out who made the board for Dell and try to get a BIOS from them.

Are you sure it won't work? A lot of time chips do work, but aren't IDed correctly due to the codes not being in the older BIOS.

Bearclaw
11-15-07, 02:11 PM
Well why the hell did you buy a Dell in the first place?!

Bman212121
11-15-07, 02:21 PM
Are you sure it's even an Nforce 4 board?

test4echo
11-15-07, 02:31 PM
The board is a Foxxcon made Nforce 4 sli 16x board.
Nvidia's website even stated that the nforce4 sli 16x board would support dual core.
And it does, only dell killed it.

Actually a few guys with XPS 600's DID manage to have a dual core boot up but it was unstable due to voltage issues.
Far as I can tell the VR on the board can handle the voltage for the dual core but doesn't have the ability to tweak it though normal programs that can tweak it.
Hence a bios update.

so close yet so far......

I bought it because I got it cheap and besides the dual core situation, this thing has been quite good.

I just wanna know why it so difficult mod dell Bios's.

All the other boards can be modded, why is dells so difficult?
Is dell smarter than the mod community?

test,

Tr1cK
11-15-07, 02:33 PM
Only the most popular handful of boards from each generation ever get modded.

methimpikehoses
11-15-07, 03:03 PM
Just throw a new board in there.

DiscipleDOC
11-15-07, 04:52 PM
That's what I would do...

Madpistol
11-15-07, 11:42 PM

Dell usually uses proprietary boards that aren't ATX compatible. Unless something has changed recently, it's probably not as easy as "switching out the board"

methimpikehoses
11-15-07, 11:48 PM
Dell usually uses proprietary boards that aren't ATX compatible. Unless something has changed recently, it's probably not as easy as "switching out the board"

As long as the board fits in there... I thought that the XPS models were different than the older proprietaries... I might be thinking of the high-end gateways though.

There's a chance you'd need to get another copy of your OS with this scenario too.

If all else fails you could get a new mobo and a new case, then transfer everything over. Might be hard to sell it later... or you could sell it now and start from semi-scratch.

CaptNKILL
11-16-07, 12:00 AM
They should be either ATX or BTX. Most of the ones I've seen from the last 5 years were standard (surprisingly).

The power supplies on the other hand...

Thats where it gets iffy... Dell does a lot of strange thing with power supplies.

test4echo
11-16-07, 02:37 PM
Well. I probably could put a new board in but thats not really what I'm getting at.

I just want to know why a dell bios can't be modded as many other boards can be modded.

Does dell put some kind of security in place to prevent Bios tampering or something?

It would seem that a bios fix to unlock certain features should be somewhat doable especially considering its an Nforce4 Sli X16 board that was designed to allow the use of Ntune.

What am I missing?

test,

Madpistol
11-16-07, 04:55 PM
The power supplies on the other hand...

Thats where it gets iffy... Dell does a lot of strange thing with power supplies.

I've never experienced that problem with their PSU's. on My Dimension 8300, I switched out the PSU twice (I had to mod the case to get it to fit) from a proprietary 300-watt PSU to a 350-watt Antec, to a 480-watt Thermaltake. I had no problems at all, and the only reason I got rid fo the Antec is because one of the 12V rails went bad and became unusable.

Another thing that you need to check before changing the motherboard...

I remember looking for a way to change out the motherboard too, and I couldn't because instead of there being regular connections to the front power button and LED's, there was a ribbon cable in place of the connection wires. That will definately give you lots of problems if your case has a connection like this. That's going to be more trouble than it's worth. Let me see if I can dig around and find some pics of the motherboard.

EDIT: I can't find any pictures of the motherboard alone that will show what types of connections it has. Is there a way you can open up your case and figure out where the connectors are for the front panel? If you can, can you take a picture of the connection? If you can do this, I think it would help a ton.

test4echo
11-16-07, 05:19 PM
Guys,

I'm not asking for motherboard compatibility or power supply form factors.
I'm not asking if an asus or gigabyte mobo would fit in an XPS case.

Just some info from someone who may know about Dell"s bios security and modification.

I realize that most are gonna say forget about it impossible.
But on the off chance someone may have the knowledge I asked.

The ultimate goal here is to find a way to get the VR's programmable via common tuning programs.
Raise the voltage a bit and maybe get a dual core to work in this thing.

test,

Madpistol
11-16-07, 10:38 PM
I've tried it a lot dude.

My 8300 bios was locked up tight. I probably tried every free tuning program on the net, and the only thing any of them let me do was tune my 6800 GT. I do not know of a site that has "cracked" dell's bios so that the voltage and clockspeeds can be manipulated. The way I look at it, it's a lost cause.

Please let us know if you find any such BIOS out there that will let you change such things. ;)

Buckeye
11-17-07, 08:25 AM
I would think that many functions of the computers Dell sells are locked out so that people can not change them, might be a warranty/tech support issue. Many people might not know a whole lot about computers that they sell to so they try and make them as bullet proof as possible to prevent users from messing them up and asking for replacements.

Just a thought

Madpistol
11-17-07, 08:56 AM
I would think that many functions of the computers Dell sells are locked out so that people can not change them, might be a warranty/tech support issue. Many people might not know a whole lot about computers that they sell to so they try and make them as bullet proof as possible to prevent users from messing them up and asking for replacements.

Just a thought

That's exactly why they lock the bios... it's a security risk for them. People start tampering with certain features, and if your computer stops working for some "odd" reason, they blame it on dell and want them to fix it. That's a technical support nightmare waiting to happen. So their computers are "monkey" proof.

This is the very reason I will never buy another Dell desktop as long as I live. However, their laptops are really solid, and I definitely recommend those. ;)

Gnu_Raiz
11-18-07, 11:13 AM
Dell laptops are junk too, guess you haven't heard of the failing power dc jacks on a lot of Dell models. The solution is to replace the motherboard I hope you have an extended warranty. If you look at the placement of the hard drive in a lot of models they are prone to over heat and a lot of models suffer from that defect, in fact one way Dell gets around this is to tell users to take out the hard drive before shipping back for RMA to save data. This allows them to not replace the hard drive. I would not suggest a Dell in any situation unless you have no choice, then I would make sure you buy a good service plan just in case.

dxx
11-18-07, 10:43 PM
Dell laptops are junk too, guess you haven't heard of the failing power dc jacks on a lot of Dell models. The solution is to replace the motherboard I hope you have an extended warranty. If you look at the placement of the hard drive in a lot of models they are prone to over heat and a lot of models suffer from that defect, in fact one way Dell gets around this is to tell users to take out the hard drive before shipping back for RMA to save data. This allows them to not replace the hard drive. I would not suggest a Dell in any situation unless you have no choice, then I would make sure you buy a good service plan just in case.

Um, and where are you getting this from?

ViN86
11-19-07, 12:49 AM
Well. I probably could put a new board in but thats not really what I'm getting at.

I just want to know why a dell bios can't be modded as many other boards can be modded.

Does dell put some kind of security in place to prevent Bios tampering or something?

It would seem that a bios fix to unlock certain features should be somewhat doable especially considering its an Nforce4 Sli X16 board that was designed to allow the use of Ntune.

What am I missing?

test,
cause it will probably void the warranty. plus, they dont want some average joe trying to change his CPU. i can only imagine the headache a guy like that would cause to their tech dept. :headexplode: :headexplode: :headexplode: :headexplode: :headexplode:

Madpistol
11-19-07, 09:04 AM

Hmmmmmm... Ok, first I do have a warranty, and I've used it to get a replacement video card and CPU cooler. It has been worth every penny so far. Second, I haven't experienced ANY of the problems you just listed. It sounds like you're just pulling this stuff out of your butt, and it makes no sense what so ever. I can also guarantee that if the Hard Drive went bad, they would replace that too, but there's no point in them replacing a component that hasn't gone bad. Therefore, I agree with Dell on taking out the HDD before sending the unit in.

BTW, my warranty has on-site service, so I don't have to mail my laptop in anyway. The service plan has been worth every penny too. I have a replacement part installed by a technician usually the next day after the call to tech support was made. You just can't get much better than that on service.

Gnu_Raiz
11-19-07, 11:12 AM
I had a Dell 600M that had two hard drive failures, and was on it's third motherboard when the dc jack failed. For the hard drive every time I called Dell they told me to take out the hard drive and send back the laptop. I told them the hard drive failed, and needed to be replaced, they then told me in order to save my data I needed to remove the hard drive. I then gave them the error codes for the drives, and then they believed me.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB117928037803904288.html?mod=technology_main_what s_news

http://www.designertoday.com/News/4738/Dell.Overseas.Call.Centers.Equals.Instant.Identity .Theft.aspx

Just look at Ebay at all the sellers of dc jacks for Dell motherboards seems that plenty of people are having that problem. What do you expect from a low cost leader, if I did not have an extended warranty I would of been out of a laptop just shy of one year. At the time I purchased it was a high price item, I now use only Thinkpads. In fact I use an X20 as we speak bought off Ebay for 78 bucks. I put a usb wifi card, install Linux works great.

dxx
11-19-07, 08:44 PM
I had a Dell 600M that had two hard drive failures, and was on it's third motherboard when the dc jack failed. For the hard drive every time I called Dell they told me to take out the hard drive and send back the laptop. I told them the hard drive failed, and needed to be replaced, they then told me in order to save my data I needed to remove the hard drive. I then gave them the error codes for the drives, and then they believed me.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB117928037803904288.html?mod=technology_main_what s_news

http://www.designertoday.com/News/4738/Dell.Overseas.Call.Centers.Equals.Instant.Identity .Theft.aspx

Just look at Ebay at all the sellers of dc jacks for Dell motherboards seems that plenty of people are having that problem. What do you expect from a low cost leader, if I did not have an extended warranty I would of been out of a laptop just shy of one year. At the time I purchased it was a high price item, I now use only Thinkpads. In fact I use an X20 as we speak bought off Ebay for 78 bucks. I put a usb wifi card, install Linux works great.

Ah - consider my doubt retracted.

We do things a little more honestly at Dell UK. We still do various scams with faulty harddisks (tip: if the HD diags test comes up with error code 7, just lie and say it's an error 4 - policy is that if a harddisk only has faulty sectors, it's not faulty under warranty enough to be replaced), but collect & returns are done with an aim to fix the system fully first time, since repeat service calls only ultimately costs more money.

Ah, well. If it makes you feel any better, this is the sort of reason why the American managers lost a ****load of bonus money this year after the company under-performed.

test4echo
11-20-07, 02:27 PM
So no one here does any extreme mods or anything?

Heres why I'm asking folks:
Dell tier 2 tech support said that the Nforce4 sli X16 board they use from foxconn could not supply the proper voltage to a Dual core Cpu.

Now, keeping that in mind, a few fellas in the dell forums stated that they WERE able to boot a dual core in the SAME BOARD but it was unstable, would not work.

Given that it did boot, (and the guys who said it were pretty reputable) makes me think that there is is possibility that a Vmod may help in this case

I just need some help with issues that may arise besides a Vmod such as bios support.

thanks,

Tr1cK
11-20-07, 02:43 PM
I believe Foxconn is the OEM for Dell boards. It is possible you could flash to a Foxconn BIOS. I did this with an E-Machine a few years ago and flashed it to it's actual maker's BIOS and it all worked perfect.

http://www.foxconnchannel.com/product/Motherboards/detail_overview.aspx?ID=en-us0000038
http://www.foxconnchannel.com/product/Motherboards/detail_overview.aspx?ID=en-us0000012
These are the only 2 Intel compatible Nforce4 boards that Foxconn lists. It doesn't mean it is the same board, that is for you to examine and determine. Their website also doesn't list any Core2 compatibility for these boards (doesn't mean it won't). If it were me, and the features between my board and one of these were the same, and if the layout looked practically identical (minus colors mainly), then I would probably take a shot and flash it.

Disclaimer:
This would all be at your own risk and I do not advise for anyone to do it.