PDA

View Full Version : New sound card. but which?

Elaskoard
11-15-07, 06:03 PM
Hey.

right now, i got a x-fi fatality, as im sickly tired of.. as on my previouse computer, and this, i had the EXACT same problem.. and that is that i get tons of crackling sounds in games, and then the sound crashes for like 3-5 min.. i loose ALL sound.

So now im gonna take out the junk, and bring in something new.. but my question is... what ?

can anyone recommand a sound card with the same quality of the x-fi series? (do NOT want creative anymore.. so tired of the crackling sound from theyr cards) Money aint the real prob (ofc, dont find some who i can buy a car for instead lol )

-Thanks in advance

(sorry for my english)

qube
11-15-07, 07:41 PM
asus. razer .

mythy
11-15-07, 07:59 PM
^^^ uhh no!!!! :headexplode: Don't take advice from him ever! :p

Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1(x-fi bassed sold out world wide :()
http://www.auzentech.com/site/products/x-fi_prelude.php

Auzen X-Meridian 7.1 (There DACs are no longer being made so the card was discontinued but drivers are still being made)
http://www.auzentech.com/site/products/x-meridian.php

HT Omega CLARO plus + (STEALER CARD!!!!)
http://www.htomega.com/claroplus.html

qube is mentioning makeshift half ass cards using Cmedia chip sets and so so DAC's. They support basic EAX only and are targeted towards clueless gamers. those that I linked you to are using top of the line DAC's and while still based on Cmedia they do pair it will with IC's...

Not trying to bash your recommendation or any thing just trying toclarify a few things :D

buffbiff21
11-15-07, 08:11 PM
Due to X-Fi Prelude's S/PDIF issues X-meridian is still the best. If you can find one used, go for it. ~$125 every once in a while.

For games the Prelude is THE best. It still can't even match the X-Meridian for movies and music though.

mythy
11-15-07, 08:16 PM
Ha actually that HT kills the X-Meridian in moves :( You really cant have it all no matter what you chose

buffbiff21
11-15-07, 08:20 PM
Nah, they've both got DD and DTS. The rest is up to your receiver and speakers.

mythy
11-15-07, 08:24 PM
Your assuming hes going digital out :p I thought the AKM4396 was superior to the AK4396VF ?

Edit: I do know that the AD8620BR blows the AK4396VF away tho so if he is going analog 2.0 or 2.1 then the HT Omega + would be his best bet.

Dr.Nick
11-15-07, 08:53 PM
Have you tried playing around with pci latency? Does your board have that option in the bios?

CaptNKILL
11-15-07, 09:10 PM
It sounds like the card is defective or overheating. Before they put heatsinks on them they used to crackle and shut off all the time.

Does your x-fi have a heatsink on it?

qube
11-15-07, 10:10 PM
i hope xfi 2 will be rel soon need a sound card to

mythy
11-15-07, 10:16 PM
yea in a few years ;)

Elaskoard
11-16-07, 10:49 AM
It sounds like the card is defective or overheating. Before they put heatsinks on them they used to crackle and shut off all the time.

Does your x-fi have a heatsink on it?

got 2 x-fi 's

one with heatsink, and one without. tryed both. and both got the exact same problem. got a huuge fan blowing on my sound card and SLI setup. and a pretty big one out of the case.

with this PC. i got the one with a heatsink, but i changed to the one without 2 days ago, to see if it was the card or not. but no diff .- so guess the heatsink problem aint the real problem here.

Have you tried playing around with pci latency? Does your board have that option in the bios?

Not really sure what to look for in the BIOS to find that. is it just called pci latency? got a nforce 680i sli board.. hope that helps :)

EDIT: to add something else.. if i put a soundtrack on, and lets say, open firefox, and starting to scroll down, i get the exact same sounds.. crackling sounds. happends with both x-fi 's , and as long i got no tracks on, its fine.

but in games it gives the crackling sounds anyway, without a track is on...

seems like it cant handle many processes at once? or?

ChiBChombo
11-16-07, 02:01 PM
What's the top Sound card in market right now? I have the X-Fi Fatal1ty, only "problems" I've had is sometimes when I turn on computer I get a slight crackling noise, VERY quiet tho, and it gets fixed by rebooting. So no big deal.

Elaskoard
11-16-07, 07:08 PM
that pci latency thingy. i have cheacked my BIOS, and cant really find anything that matches that..

but i googled up a PCI latency tool 3.1 and tryed to install. but it wouldent start.. surely not vista compitable..

anyway, is it that tool you are talking about? or should it be in the BIOS?

nekrosoft13
11-16-07, 09:08 PM
^^^ uhh no!!!! :headexplode: Don't take advice from him ever! :p

Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1(x-fi bassed sold out world wide :()
http://www.auzentech.com/site/products/x-fi_prelude.php

Auzen X-Meridian 7.1 (There DACs are no longer being made so the card was discontinued but drivers are still being made)
http://www.auzentech.com/site/products/x-meridian.php

HT Omega CLARO plus + (STEALER CARD!!!!)
http://www.htomega.com/claroplus.html

qube is mentioning makeshift half ass cards using Cmedia chip sets and so so DAC's. They support basic EAX only and are targeted towards clueless gamers. those that I linked you to are using top of the line DAC's and while still based on Cmedia they do pair it will with IC's...

Not trying to bash your recommendation or any thing just trying toclarify a few things :D

i would go with Prelude, just a quick look at CLARO and X-Meridian looks like they don't support OpenAL.

dxx
11-16-07, 09:38 PM
Not really sure what to look for in the BIOS to find that. is it just called pci latency? got a nforce 680i sli board.. hope that helps :)

EDIT: to add something else.. if i put a soundtrack on, and lets say, open firefox, and starting to scroll down, i get the exact same sounds.. crackling sounds. happends with both x-fi 's , and as long i got no tracks on, its fine.

but in games it gives the crackling sounds anyway, without a track is on...

seems like it cant handle many processes at once? or?

Unfortunately, the problem is a bug with nForce chipsets that began with the nForce4 series that seems to affect all Creative Labs related hardware, including their professional line of audio interfaces. I don't know if a card from a 3rd party with the same chipset would suffer the same problems, but it seems a fair bet that it would, unless they have some specific workaround built-in.

Personally, I think your best bet is to switch to onboard, or RMA the board.

Elaskoard
11-17-07, 06:03 AM
Personally, I think your best bet is to switch to onboard, or RMA the board.

cant see any imputs for onboard sound on it.. :/ (if thats what u meant)

Dr.Nick
11-18-07, 01:06 AM
that pci latency thingy. i have cheacked my BIOS, and cant really find anything that matches that..

but i googled up a PCI latency tool 3.1 and tryed to install. but it wouldent start.. surely not vista compitable..

anyway, is it that tool you are talking about? or should it be in the BIOS?

What motherboard are you running. I know the intel and NF4 boards definitely have it but I'm not sure about the 650/680 boards. It would be labeled PCI Latency(or something similar) and it would either be set at 32 or 64. This is the bios btw, don't use that software.

Elaskoard
11-18-07, 04:22 AM
What motherboard are you running. I know the intel and NF4 boards definitely have it but I'm not sure about the 650/680 boards. It would be labeled PCI Latency(or something similar) and it would either be set at 32 or 64. This is the bios btw, don't use that software.

hmm ok. dont got it then. cant find any simular in the bios :(

guess il have to get myself a new soundcard then.. just dont know which yet :P