PDA

View Full Version : Hey you awesome tech Dorks! I need Upgrade Advice!

Crys|sK|llz
11-17-07, 03:38 PM
Dear Nerds,

I bow down to your superior technical knowledge of all things nVidia, and everything else too!

I bought Crysis. It changed my life. Then, after the few sweet hours playing it on medium detail and a low resolution it went away, like a summer fling. Short, but f'ing glorious. :wonder:

It is now time to upgrade, and I want the best (I'm a baller a$$ turd like that).

I am wanting the 8800 Ultra baby, yeah! But before laying down a thick wad for that sucker, I want you goons to check out my specs and see if my money could be better spent before picking up that fine pepper of a vidcard.

Here dey be:
Gigabyte S Series GA-965G-DS3 Core 2 Duo ... 2 processors @ 2133MHz
GeForce 7900 GTX
2GB RAM (unsure of details)
XP
500W+ ATX PSU
(need more info?!)

OK! So what should I do to make the oh so luverly Crysis make me sexytime at high detail around 1024x768 or possibly even (If I feel ballsy enough) 1280x (is it 960 or 1024 here? Dont need to answer that question) Please O magnificent brains?! What should I upgrade first?!

YOU GUYS ROCK!

Sincerely,
A dude who listens to Metal(lee63)

SH64
11-17-07, 03:49 PM
First kiss my hand :D

yeah more info on the brand of that PSU & the amps on the +12v would be great. if you are going for an Ultra i would recommend a better one. Crysis will make the system power hungry.
i can say with confidence that with a 8800U you will be able to play Crysis @1280x1024,2xAA,16xAF,all High smoothly.

if you are short on cash though i'd recommend the new 8800GT .. this card is the best bang for the buck! expect smooth play @1280x1024,noAA,8xAF,all high with it.
i'm too conservative about performance , other guys would go for even higher res/settings for these cards.

good luck!

jolle
11-17-07, 03:51 PM
An Ultra wouldnt really be worth it.
I think you could acctually settle for a 8800GT and be happy about it, specially if you´re staying around 1280x1024..
Check these benchmarks out, and judge for yourself

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1211/2

Crys|sK|llz
11-17-07, 06:13 PM
Right on! Thanks for the reply,

I'm not quite sure what amps are on the PSU, but the manufacturer is ATX. Also, for clarification, the shortness of Crisis was due to my computer going Kaput. Sh1t don't work no mo'. Other stuff does, but not the untame-able desktop destroyer; the mighty system cruncher, Crisis. I guess what I am most concerned with (as in, I know least about and therefore most worried about) are my motherboard and processor specs + RAM. I don't want to shell out for an Ultra if I am going to end up bottlenecking somewhere else. Do you think an Ultra is not going to be utilized fully because of my other specs? Or is the suggestion that simply picking up an 8800 GT alone will pummel Crysis into submission with the equipment I have already?

Thank you,
A dude who is artard @ techstuff

[EOCF] Tim
11-17-07, 06:26 PM
You have got to be kidding me. Is this guy for real with his blabbing?

XDanger
11-17-07, 06:27 PM
Wait for a G92 8800GTS 512mb ,Your cpu (e6400/e6450) is not the bottleneck.

ATX :) Yo Geeks wassup !!

Redeemed
11-17-07, 06:35 PM
Honestly, with how low a resolution you are playing at you do NOT need an Ultra. For clarification:

At 1280x800, 4xAA, 16xAF, and all in-game options set to "High" Crysis was very playable for me. I was not running fraps, but I'd venture to say it never dipped below 25fps. Now, that's not smooth as butter, but it is far from a slide show thanks to the good use of motion blur in the game. Also to note, I'm running Vista Ultimate x64, I was playing the 64-bit version and usind DX10. Furthermore, that was with the demo. I've heard that for some the retail version playes better than the demo did.

So, with all that in mind- if my rig can do all that- then your's should be more than capable of 1280x1024 with even just an 8800GT or the new 8800GTS based off of the G92.

Here's what I'd recommend. Get a beefier PSU. Methimpikehoses is selling his 600watt PSU. If I recall it is a quad-rail, and probably has around 18-20 amps per rail. This will be over kill for even the new 8800GTS, but it will also give you room to upgrade in the future.

As for RAM, since your still on XP you're best just sticking with 2GB. Adding even one more gig probably wont help much since you then wont be running it in dual-channel.

And for you processor- it is faster than mine. And if my rig can play Crysis as well as it does, I see no reason why your setup with even an 8800GT couldn't do like wise. ;)

Crys|sK|llz
11-17-07, 06:36 PM
Tim']You have got to be kidding me. Is this guy for real with his blabbing?
Helpful. Thanks! :clap2:

Redeemed!
Thanks for the advice. I think you saying that my videocard is the problem. Get rid of it, buy a new PSU, and upgrade vidcard to something better... but not over the top like the Ultra? I have not researched either of the other 8800s, guess I should take a look at 'em. Is the upgrade to Vista + more RAM worth it? If it is worth it, and I did do that, would you still recommend the Gt/GTS?

SH64
11-17-07, 06:45 PM
Your CPU & RAM are fine. the graphics card should be your concern.

WeReWoLf
11-17-07, 09:33 PM
The 8800GT is currently the best bang for buck, cheap as hell, and overclock far past what we expected them to.

Redeemed
11-17-07, 09:37 PM
Helpful. Thanks! :clap2:

Redeemed!
Thanks for the advice. I think you saying that my videocard is the problem. Get rid of it, buy a new PSU, and upgrade vidcard to something better... but not over the top like the Ultra? I have not researched either of the other 8800s, guess I should take a look at 'em. Is the upgrade to Vista + more RAM worth it? If it is worth it, and I did do that, would you still recommend the Gt/GTS?

Ooooookay...

We're starting to go in a different direction all together now. I'll try and have this make as much sense as possible...

Vista:

There are several things to know about Vista. Many here will tell you it isn't worth it and that performance is better under XP. No offense to them, but they ulitimately are just ignorant on the topic, repeating what other ingorants have said without any current clue.

*DISCLAIMER* For some, there are issues with Vista- for some, but most seem to agree that gaming performance on Vista is rather neck-and-neck, if not somewhat better, than what it is in XP.

Okay, with that out of the way, and assming you have a stash of cash you can dump on this- here's what I'd consider if I were in your place:

Your CPU:

It is fine. Leave it alone. If anything, buy a nice aftermarket cooler like the Thermalright Ultra120 and pair it with a good fan.

Your Mobo:

It's fine as is, 'nuff said. If you really wanted SLi you could try your luck with a 680i or what not... but honestly I'd just keep your current modo. Moving on...

You PSU:

You should definitely consider a new one. Get atleast a 650 watt psu that either has a single 12v rail or quad 12v rails. AVOID DUAL RAIL POWER SUPPLIES! I honestly cannot stress how important it is that you avoid dual-rail power supplies. Stick with either a single or quad rail 650 watt PSU from a reputable manufacturer (PC P&C, OCZ, SeaSonic, Silverstone- just to name a few). There are various reasons as to how and why this new PSU, in combination with a few other choice upgrades will be to your benefit- I'll touch on that in a bit.

Your RAM:

Okay. Several things to consider. Do you want more RAM? If so, you should consider a 64-bit version of Vista. Home Premium would be sufficient of your rig is mainly for gaming.

Okay, let's assume you want 4GB of RAM. In order for the computer (technically speaking, your Processor) to recognise and utilise that RAM it'll have to be a 64-bit processor running under a 64-bit environment... meaning just running under a 64-bit operating system. Due to limitations with 32-bit processors they can only address up to 4GB of memory. Read that "memory"- not "RAM", not "hard-drive space", not "Frame Buffer"- but "memory". As in, the combination of your system RAM, Framebuffer, pagefile, etc. So in short, even if you had 4GB of RAM, you'd at best see just over 3GB that'd be usable under a 32-bit operating system.

Sooo...

If you can afford it- definitely get 4GB of DDR2 800 RAM from a reputable manufacturer. With that you'll want a 64-bit copy of Vista. You could go with 64-bit XP Pro. That is another option. For various reasons though, I'd just say bite the bullet and get a 64-bit copy of Vista Home Premium or Ultimate- either would work fine.

Your Video Card:

At the resolution you play at the 8800GT is very much comparable to an 8800GTX, including the use of FSAA and AF. If you can be a little bit more patient, wait for the new GTS. That should be more in-line with the GTX and Ultra even at higher resolutions. But honestly speaking, I would not buy a GTX or an Ultra with the current GT and new GTS on the horizon. Just doesn't make any sense.

Okay... now that you have a good CPU cooler, a PSU that can provide plenty of solid and clean power to your rig- reliably- and good RAM, you can now attempt to overclock your CPU *safely*. I honestly doubt you'd need to, but atleast the option would be there. I'm betting you could get 3.2 to 3.4GHz easy.

Hope that made sense. If not, sorry and I'll try and clarify whatever it is that confused you. :D

Sycario
11-17-07, 09:58 PM
There are several things to know about Vista. Many here will tell you it isn't worth it and that performance is better under XP. No offense to them, but they ulitimately are just ignorant on the topic, repeating what other ingorants have said without any current clue.

After using Vista for a few months and testing/benching every game I could, it turns out Vista is slower in most of my games. The difference isn't huge (on my system) but it is noticeable in some games. WoW has some horrible stuttering issues for example. There are many other problems I've experienced with Vista that made me decide it's crap in it's current state. But I'm ignorant I guess. I would say SOME people do that but they way you worded it, you seem to be saying all. That is definitely not true.

Crys|sK|llz
11-17-07, 10:00 PM
Redeemed, you magnificent Bastard!! YES! That is exactly the kind of nitty gritty technical **** I am looking for! :alc:

So this new board you mention, the GTS, I have to wait for it to come out. Upgrade the other stuff, especially the PSU and Vista. CPU Cooling unit and more RAM could help as well. Ok, check.

One thing that springs to mind is all the different manufacturers of cards, I had no idea there were so many. Do you have a suggestion of a manufacturers GTS beforehand or wait and see?

Redeemed
11-17-07, 10:18 PM
After using Vista for a few months and testing/benching every game I could, it turns out Vista is slower in most of my games. The difference isn't huge (on my system) but it is noticeable in some games. WoW has some horrible stuttering issues for example. There are many other problems I've experienced with Vista that made me decide it's crap in it's current state. But I'm ignorant I guess. I would say SOME people do that but they way you worded it, you seem to be saying all. That is definitely not true.

*DISCLAIMER* For some, there are issues with Vista- for some, but most seem to agree that gaming performance on Vista is rather neck-and-neck, if not somewhat better, than what it is in XP.

Moving on...

Redeemed, you magnificent Bastard!! YES! That is exactly the kind of nitty gritty technical **** I am looking for! :alc:

So this new board you mention, the GTS, I have to wait for it to come out. Upgrade the other stuff, especially the PSU and Vista. CPU Cooling unit and more RAM could help as well. Ok, check.

One thing that springs to mind is all the different manufacturers of cards, I had no idea there were so many. Do you have a suggestion of a manufacturers GTS beforehand or wait and see?

eVGA. Then again, it depends on where you live. In America we have a wide selection of manufacturers to choose from. Out of the lot I prefer eVGA. There customer support is second to none, and the quality of their products seems to be among the best, if not the best.

Aside from them, there's MSI and BFG. But I've heard more complaints about any other manufacturer than I've heard about eVGA. ;)

john19055
11-17-07, 11:37 PM
What cpu do you have ,and will it overclock to 3gigs even tho Cysis is GPU bound it will help on more games.If I was doing a upgrade ,I would upgrade to the Q6600 and the 8800GTX and just overclock it ,The ultra are great but on most GTX's you can overclock them to a ultra ,just maybe not the memory but the core and shader should have no problem.2gigs of memory is fine if you are running a 32bit OS ,but if you upgrade to a 64bit OS then 4gigs would be worth getting.I would get a good brand power supply with at least 50amps on the 12v rail.