PDA

View Full Version : Coolers for 8800GTX and E6600?

Pages : [1] 2

Niot
11-17-07, 07:21 PM
Except for the Thermal right, is there any other brand that provides reasonably effective coolers for these two?

Snake101st
11-17-07, 07:57 PM
I have a Tuniq Tower 120 on my E6600 and it is alot better than the stock one, and not too pricey. Ive heard of some people getting up to 4ghz with that setup! The only problem is the space it needs, its TALL. But it looks awesome.

Niot
11-17-07, 08:01 PM
I have a Tuniq Tower 120 on my E6600 and it is alot better than the stock one, and not too pricey. Ive heard of some people getting up to 4ghz with that setup! The only problem is the space it needs, its TALL. But it looks awesome.
How is the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7pro? It's Swiss designed right? I had a Freezer 64 for my AMD and it seemed pretty cool.

buffbiff21
11-17-07, 08:03 PM
I think the HR-03 is the best way to go for the GTX.

For E6600, you can go Tuniq Tower, Zalman 9700 (I have it and it's sexy :) ), Thermalright Ultra 120 Xtreme... last I checked the difference was only a couple degrees C. Maybe 5C at most.

Snake101st
11-17-07, 08:04 PM
How is the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7pro? It's Swiss designed right? I had a Freezer 64 for my AMD and it seemed pretty cool.

Not sure, Ive heard good things from the net but I dont have any personal experience. But its swiss, they make those sweet knives! It must be good, right?

buffbiff21
11-17-07, 08:08 PM
Not sure, Ive heard good things from the net but I dont have any personal experience. But its swiss, they make those sweet knives! It must be good, right?
The Freezer is effectively a budget cooler. It's good, but it's not in the same league as Thermalright, Tuniq, etc..

Niot
11-17-07, 08:11 PM
The Freezer is effectively a budget cooler. It's good, but it's not in the same league as Thermalright, Tuniq, etc..
How much can the E6600 be OCed to without overvolting? Is it 3Ghz? At that level is the Freezer enough?

buffbiff21
11-17-07, 08:14 PM
How much can the E6600 be OCed to without overvolting? Is it 3Ghz? At that level is the Freezer enough?
It all depends on your CPU. How much voltage you use and how well the CPU overclocks. Stock vcore should take it above 3.

Just as a generalization: for 3GHz, yes, a Freezer is enough.

Niot
11-17-07, 08:19 PM
It all depends on your CPU. How much voltage you use and how well the CPU overclocks. Stock vcore should take it above 3.

Just as a generalization: for 3GHz, yes, a Freezer is enough.
Is the Arctic Silver paste still the best?

The Freezer is better than the Stock Intel Cooler right?

I'll go HR03Plus for the video card. It's just the CPU cooler from Thermalright seems kind of expensive.

MamiyaOtaru
11-17-07, 10:19 PM
I've got a Scythe Ninja on my e6600. The guys at SPCR swear by them. Not as much max cooling as the ultra 120, but the slightly wider spaced fins allow for better cooling at lower airflow. That makes it a better cooler for silence than for overclocking I guess, but it works great for me.

john19055
11-17-07, 10:26 PM
The best cooler for the 8800GTX is the Zalman VF-1000 and the RHS88 to go with it.The Zalman 9500 or th Zalman 9700 will work great.But the Tuniq Tower 120 is a good cooler too.

Eliminator
11-18-07, 01:49 PM
Is the Arctic Silver paste still the best?

The Freezer is better than the Stock Intel Cooler right?

I'll go HR03Plus for the video card. It's just the CPU cooler from Thermalright seems kind of expensive.
the freezer is an amazing cooler for $20... its superior to the stock cooler

Niot
11-18-07, 08:18 PM
Is the E6600 more overclockable than the 6750? How high can the 6600 go?

Does Arctic Cooling have anything for the 8800GTX?

mythy
11-18-07, 08:41 PM
E6600 can do 3.4 easy but not with the freezer thats for sure its total crap but yea its cheap and that seams to be what your after... Also when people tell you there core temps on the CPU take into consideration that they may be WRONG and that they may NOT be reading the actual core temp instead they may be reporting the temps from the thermal diode on the IHS. "CoreTemp" will tell you your REAL CPU temperatures ;) All the other programs like Ntune and mobo software reports fake temperatures...

And for the GPU your going to be spending $45-50 minimum to cool it. Since your looking at $20 dollar coolers I suggest you forget about it and put that extra cash into a real CPU cooler like the Thermalright 120 Ultra or a Scythe Ninja or a Tuniq Tower 120 :rolleyes:

Now E6600 VS E6750 theres 1 limiting factor and thats the FSB being at 333 on the newer6750 VS the 266 on the 6600. When you OC you will raise the FSB and since the newer CPU has a higher FSB it will reach your motherboards limits much faster then the slower E6600.So yea the 6600 has more OC potential unless you have a stealer board which I am guessing you don't since your on a budget.

As far as Arctic cooling goes they dont have anything for that GTXfor you to consider and yes Arctic Silver Incorporated still makes some of the best thermal compound including the famous AS5 but theres also Thermalright's Chilfactor and Arctic Cooling's MX-2 all 3 are equall under the same given circumstancs however if your heat sink is uneven AS5 will work better dues to its thickness and partical size. MX-2 is is thiner and easier to work with so its recommended for more flush heat sinks and Chilfactor is very thin and only recommended for lapped installs.

Niot
11-18-07, 08:54 PM
E6600 can do 3.4 easy but not with the freezer thats for sure its total crap but yea its cheap and that seams to be what your after... Also when people tell you there core temps on the CPU take into consideration that they may be WRONG and that they may NOT be reading the actual core temp instead they may be reporting the temps from the thermal diode on the IHS. "CoreTemp" will tell you your REAL CPU temperatures ;) All the other programs like Ntune and mobo software reports fake temperatures...

And for the GPU your going to be spending $45-50 minimum to cool it. Since your looking at $20 dollar coolers I suggest you forget about it and put that extra cash into a real CPU cooler like the Thermalright 120 Ultra or a Scythe Ninja or a Tuniq Tower 120 :rolleyes:

Now E6600 VS E6750 theres 1 limiting factor and thats the FSB being at 333 on the newer6750 VS the 266 on the 6600. When you OC you will raise the FSB and since the newer CPU has a higher FSB it will reach your motherboards limits much faster then the slower E6600.So yea the 6600 has more OC potential unless you have a stealer board which I am guessing you don't since your on a budget.

As far as Arctic cooling goes they dont have anything for that GTXfor you to consider and yes Arctic Silver Incorporated still makes some of the best thermal compound including the famous AS5 but theres also Thermalright's Chilfactor and Arctic Cooling's MX-2 all 3 are equall under the same given circumstancs however if your heat sink is uneven AS5 will work better dues to its thickness and partical size. MX-2 is is thiner and easier to work with so its recommended for more flush heat sinks and Chilfactor is very thin and only recommended for lapped installs.

I guess I'll have to use thermalright for both the CPU and GPU.

On a side note, for both video cards and CPUs, is it always the lower stock Mhz the more Ocable?

mythy
11-18-07, 08:58 PM
Do you know how to lap a heat sink? If not you will need to learn that Thermalright 120 has a convex base and you'll need to sand it off for best performance. All you need is a flat surface 320 600 and 1500 grit sandpaper and your all set. :p

On a side note, for both video cards and CPUs, is it always the lower stock Mhz the more Ocable?

nope,

A CPU's speed is determined by its thermal output. At Intel they make a wafer and then test the batch. If a chip runs cooler then it is a higher clocked CPU and if a chip runs hotter then they make it a lower speed chip. Its simply a matter of quality. They have a thermal threshold that they want there chips to run at. all CPU's should run near the same thermal output at stock within a range or model. Its up to the end user to get the cooling for it if they plan to OC.

Airbrushkid
11-18-07, 09:32 PM
Thermalright says there Ultra 120 Extreme is suppose to be convex. Here this guy emailed them and they replied back saying.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1239985

mythy
11-18-07, 09:53 PM
I know and its utter BS :p If you want a 120 you gota lap it

ATOJAR
11-19-07, 12:41 AM
I have the Ultra-120 eXtreme, right now my cpu idles at 26c! ..... great cooler!

When i had a 8800 GTS i also had the HR-03 Plus installed! .... i had my GTS overclocked to 600\900 and the card idled at around 47c, never passed 65c under load.

Thermalright are the best hands down imo.

mythy
11-19-07, 12:48 AM
meh thats nothing!1GHz OC and.075 more Volts and 13C COOLER then stock heatsink/speed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Q6600 3.4GHz 1.35V

Load 52C
Idle 38C

Airbrushkid
11-19-07, 01:23 AM
I have both the Ultra 120 Extreme and he HR-03 Plus. I sooner or later will lap the Ultra 120 and cpu. The HR-03 Plus is fine and don't really wanted to try to lap the inside of the heat sink. I have it mounted where the fins and fan is on top of the card. But my temps are 41C idle and 48C load. They use to be 65C idle and 80C load. Thats a 24C drop on the idle and a 32C drop on load. To thats really good.

Gorion
11-19-07, 09:54 AM
I'm using the Tuniq 120 and have my CPU @4.33 Ghz.

58C @load.

I'm convinced it's a great cooler.

mythy
11-19-07, 10:51 AM
what did you use to get those temps?

Niot
11-19-07, 12:03 PM
I have both the Ultra 120 Extreme and he HR-03 Plus. I sooner or later will lap the Ultra 120 and cpu. The HR-03 Plus is fine and don't really wanted to try to lap the inside of the heat sink. I have it mounted where the fins and fan is on top of the card. But my temps are 41C idle and 48C load. They use to be 65C idle and 80C load. Thats a 24C drop on the idle and a 32C drop on load. To thats really good.
So do I need to lap them or not?

Basically, does the Hr-03 also need lapping?

mythy
11-19-07, 12:06 PM
No the HR-03 is perfect the way it is :) But the 120 should be lapped if you want it to perform the best it can. Your looking at a 3-7C drop depending on your lapping skills. If you do the CPU you can drop up to 9C.