PDA

View Full Version : Would selling my 8800GTX ACS3 be worth it?

Snake101st
11-17-07, 08:55 PM
Hey this is my first post, but I read these forums all the time, theyre great!

Anyways, since Crysis is killing my e-unit, I had an idea today.

The new 8800GT's are almost up to par with the GTX, so do you guys think it would be worth it to sell my GTX (to a friend or on ebay) for I guess around $450 (bought it for $630 not too long ago, which sucks) and buy 1 or 2 GT's? When the new GTS's and other cards come out it will kill how much I can sell it for, so I should act soon.

I would definitely go for EVGA because of step up, but do you know if there is a way to combine 2 cards into one step up? That would be awesome, because I could buy 2 for around $250 (or lower on black friday) each and have 3 months to upgrade to whatever is launched.

What do you think?

Thanks.

john19055
11-17-07, 11:41 PM
IMO I would not sell the 8800GTX since it is the fastest card for Cysis and SLI helps very little,maybe with more driver updates and patches it will get better.But since you already have a 8800GTX ,I would just get another 8800GTX and then run SLI.will be faster then two 8800GT espically at higher resolutions.

Snake101st
11-17-07, 11:50 PM
That may be but that would be ridiculous, buying another GTX, it would cost $550ish to get one that could match mine. As apposed to maybe $100 or $50 over what I would get for the GTX to go toward 2 GT's.

Im not made of money! :P I just got the GTX not too long ago thinking it would still be the best for at least a year... nope. The new cards werent a rumor after all, this thing will be left in the dust. I usually upgrade every 3 or 4 years, and money is especially tight now that Im transferring from community college to a university.

Also, if I dont sell it now I wont be able to get any money back for it really. Another plus for getting the 2 GT's would be the ability to step up to a newer card in 90 days' time.

I only run at 1680x1050 anyway.

Lfctony
11-18-07, 12:14 AM
That may be but that would be ridiculous, buying another GTX, it would cost $550ish to get one that could match mine. As apposed to maybe $100 or $50 over what I would get for the GTX to go toward 2 GT's.

Im not made of money! :P I just got the GTX not too long ago thinking it would still be the best for at least a year... nope. The new cards werent a rumor after all, this thing will be left in the dust. I usually upgrade every 3 or 4 years, and money is especially tight now that Im transferring from community college to a university.

Also, if I dont sell it now I wont be able to get any money back for it really. Another plus for getting the 2 GT's would be the ability to step up to a newer card in 90 days' time.

Yeah man, sounds like a good idea. Go for it. I know I would if I had an SLI board.

GeeTeeEx
11-18-07, 12:34 AM
i sold mine. because of these recent "new card influx" pressure. at least if u sell now, the price u get for it wont go down much further... because gtx is gonna be hard to sell from now on, at least at 'desirable' rates.

Snake101st
11-18-07, 12:37 AM
Thanks guys, I think what Ill do is try to sell mine, get 2 GT's and be set for a while.

Anyone know what I asked in the first post, though? If you buy 2 evga cards is there some way to combine them in step up or something? Or would you have to step up with one and sell the other?

Zapablast05
11-18-07, 02:25 AM
Thanks guys, I think what Ill do is try to sell mine, get 2 GT's and be set for a while.

This is sorta like comparing 2 8600GTS's in SLI to 1 8800GTS. Keep the GTX and save for SLi.

Uberpwnage
11-18-07, 02:54 AM
I just decided to save for another GTX aswell. Originally I was going to save for two 9800s, but considering that D9E is only an 8800GX2 which wont even be here until February, it's unlikely that we'll be seeing a 9800 until June - atleast that's how I see it. Adding another GTX in SLI seems to be the best option for people already owning one GTX and playing @ high res and/or 4xAA+.

Lfctony
11-18-07, 08:34 AM
This is sorta like comparing 2 8600GTS's in SLI to 1 8800GTS. Keep the GTX and save for SLi.

Not even close man. Did you actually read reviews for the 8800GT? The card performs 95% of a full blown GTX in the large majority of situations. 2 cards in SLI? 150% + of the performance of a single GTX at least. And that's for the same price or close. I would do it as well, but I don't have a SLI capable board.

To OP: GO FOR IT!

Xion X2
11-18-07, 10:06 AM
Not even close man. Did you actually read reviews for the 8800GT? The card performs 95% of a full blown GTX in the large majority of situations.

Yeah, but not with decent amounts of AA at high resolutions. And not on new games like Crysis which use up more texture memory.

The GT only has 512MB of texture RAM and a lousy 256-bit memory interface compared to the GTX's 768/384. That will make a difference in future titles, and if he plans to hang onto his setup for a while, those GTs will be a bottleneck in future games since SLI does not add the VRAM of the two cards together. Two cards will still net him 512/256.

The GT is a great deal, but there's a reason it sells for so much cheaper than a GTX...

Snake101st
11-18-07, 12:23 PM
Im now thinking of just selling the GTX when I find out how far away the new crazy high end cards are, and buy a GT with 3 months between that and release. That way I could save almost $250 for the new card, and use step up too. Any new word?

Now I sound like one of those annoying people always asking when the new cards are coming out.

avirox
11-18-07, 12:29 PM
Yeah, but not with decent amounts of AA at high resolutions. And not on new games like Crysis which use up more texture memory.

The GT only has 512MB of texture RAM and a lousy 256-bit memory interface compared to the GTX's 768/384. That will make a difference in future titles, and if he plans to hang onto his setup for a while, those GTs will be a bottleneck in future games since SLI does not add the VRAM of the two cards together. Two cards will still net him 512/256.

The GT is a great deal, but there's a reason it sells for so much cheaper than a GTX...

News flash: even 2 GTXs in SLI can't run crysis at settings that would use over 512mb of vram. That would be, say, 1900x1200 with 2xAA and high/vh details. "Future" titles are here now and the crysis reviews out there show, if anything, that the GT tails behind the GTX in it by only a frame or 2.
Anyways, back to the topic - you can sell your single GTX and get 2 eVGA GT's if you can find em at a decent price - and then step up to the 9800s or 8800GTSs when they're out (if they're out within 3 months). Like everyone else said though, make sure you got the specs to handle it (motherboard, psu, etc.)

Lfctony
11-18-07, 12:36 PM

What you said is correct, but I don't agree completely with your conclusion. Future titles will be shader limited and horsepower limited. Bandwidth and texture space only become a limiting factor during high resolutions with AA/AF. Take a look at Crysis for example. At Very High without AA/AF not even an Ultra plays it properly, unless you take the resolution all the way down. 2 8800GTs can run the game decently though. I haven't seen a single situation where 2 8800GTSs for example were slower than a 8800GTX, given that SLI is working. Yet the 8800GTS has less memory and less bandwidth.

spajdr
11-18-07, 12:50 PM
http://games.tiscali.cz/images/news/cryss_sli.gif

depends on resolution, i sold my Ultra and got two GTs instead.

Xion X2
11-18-07, 05:53 PM
Edit: You know what, you guys are right. I saw a benchmark awhile back that had the GTX crushing the GT in Crysis at 1920x1200 w/ 2xAA but can't find it anywhere now. The only one I can dig up is the one on techspot that has the GT hanging close w/ a GTX.

http://www.techspot.com/article/73-crysis-performance/page4.html

The GT certainly appears to be a hell of a card for the money, although I still would like more than a 256-bit interface/512MB VRAM at my disposal.

Eltigre88
11-18-07, 06:42 PM

When The 8900's come out you should see a huge drop in the 8800 GTX's and then you can buy another and SLI.

methimpikehoses
11-18-07, 07:25 PM
Heh, if you want 2AA, the GT won't cut it on Crysis. For every other game, and for Crysis w/ no AA, the GT is very near performance as a GTX. Very near. :)

$n][pErMan
11-18-07, 07:34 PM
Keep the GTX... whats with all these people swapping better cards for lower end cards.... baffles me.

Snake101st
11-18-07, 07:36 PM
Yeah thats what it seems like so far, AA crushes performance in Crysis.

Thats true, Eltigre88, but look at how much better the 8800 was over the previous gen. Im scared that the 9800 or whatever will be 2x as fast as the GTX, and I wont be able to sell it. In that case, SLIing GTX's wouldnt be worth the cash, and it wouldve been better to sell mine and do what I said before.

Stupid technology. :P

mythy
11-18-07, 10:32 PM
People are selling because in a few moths there GTX's are worthless and then when it comes time to finally get rid of them these peeps are going to be screwed. A GT is just as fast as a GTX as long as the game is not using more then 512mb of ram. Hence the AA and performance drop. It has nothing to do with the actual AA it has everything to do with the memory limit.

Sell your GTX before its too late and get the GT. on December 4th there will be a hard paper launch of the GTSG92 and a few weeks later you can trade up to one.

g-a-m-e
11-19-07, 04:58 AM
http://games.tiscali.cz/images/news/cryss_sli.gif

depends on resolution, i sold my Ultra and got two GTs instead.

huh ? That picture isnt really fair now is it ? 1600 res for the GT's, and 1900 res for the GTX's ?
Or am i seeing it wrong ?

p.s: Hopefully because of the upcoming mass hysteria (sell your gtx before it's too late!) prices will drop

Slammin
11-19-07, 06:17 AM
Yeah thats what it seems like so far, AA crushes performance in Crysis.

Thats true, Eltigre88, but look at how much better the 8800 was over the previous gen. Im scared that the 9800 or whatever will be 2x as fast as the GTX, and I wont be able to sell it. In that case, SLIing GTX's wouldnt be worth the cash, and it wouldve been better to sell mine and do what I said before.

Stupid technology. :P

That's exactly why the last two Sli rigs I built, I started right out with two cards. The assumption that buying one card now, then another later, just doesn't pan out, does it?

By the time you are ready for that second card, you can usually grab a newer single card that is faster than both of your 'old' cards SLi'd.

In your case, I would not dump cash to another GTX at this point. We are too close to the situation I describe above. Your best bet is to dump it now while you can still get good cash for it and get something to hold you over for a few months.